Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Some stages I'm drawing for a local match

spanky

Here are a few. I took some things I learned from input on the previous stages and put them into play. As always, comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Pop & Swing - 15 rounds, 75 points.

START POSITION: Standing in shooting box facing uprange, wrists above respective shoulders, handgun loaded and holstered as per current rule book.

STAGE PROCEDURE: Upon signal, turn, then draw and engage targets as visible from within shooting box. Shooter must perform one mandatory reload at any point after the first shot is fired and before the last shot is fired.

j67ufvt8bi1svhrmzd.jpg

Zombieland, 15 rounds, 75 points

START POSITION: Standing downrange, wrists above respective shoulders, handgun loaded and holstered as per current rule book.

STAGE PROCEDURE: Upon signal draw, engage T1-T5 with one round each, perform a mandatory reload, engage T1-T5 with one round each, perform a mandatory reload, engage T1-T5 with one round each. Stacking of shots it not allowed and will incur a per shot penalty.

mk1n93dyy4qtt3bxwgbu.jpg

**On this one I've considered replacing the table with a 3rd barrel to remove a potential hazard. What do you guys think?**

Table Terror, 18 rounds, 90 points

START POSITION: Seated in chair, handgun is loaded and lying unsupported on table. All feeding devices on table

STAGE PROCEDURE: Upon signal engage all targets as visible from within fault lines.

ktn16mi8mxbt2tgd3jb8.jpg

Edited by spankaveli

WHAAAT?, 32 rounds, 160 points

START POSITION: Standing downrange with heels on X’s, handgun loaded and holstered as per current rule book

STAGE PROCEDURE: Upon signal engage targets as visible from within fault lines

mq6phlrdzt4e050i7qv.jpg

Potential shoot-throughs will be addressed upon setup. No-shoots will be added to block certain arrays from certain positions.

Here are a few. I took some things I learned from input on the previous stages and put them into play. As always, comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Pop & Swing - 15 rounds, 75 points.

START POSITION: Standing in shooting box facing uprange, wrists above respective shoulders, handgun loaded and holstered as per current rule book.

STAGE PROCEDURE: Upon signal, turn, then draw and engage targets as visible from within shooting box. Shooter must perform one mandatory reload at any point after the first shot is fired and before the last shot is fired.

j67ufvt8bi1svhrmzd.jpg

You'll have to have some very experienced RO's to determine hat shots to lift because of a shoot through on the no shoot with the swingers, or if there is a shoot through.

This was the reason it was suggest to me that I should not use soft no shoots with swingers. If you have metal no shoot/hard cover, it would be easier.

Awesome stages btw!

You'll have to have some very experienced RO's to determine hat shots to lift because of a shoot through on the no shoot with the swingers, or if there is a shoot through.

This was the reason it was suggest to me that I should not use soft no shoots with swingers. If you have metal no shoot/hard cover, it would be easier.

Awesome stages btw!

Thanks man and good point. I remember seeing this issue at the Gator Classic with some no-shoots blocking a windmill. I was hoping to be able to block the terminating point of the swing so the shooter has to engage them mid-swing. Any tips?

Awesome stages btw!

Thanks man and good point. I remember seeing this issue at the Gator Classic with some no-shoots blocking a windmill. I was hoping to be able to block the terminating point of the swing so the shooter has to engage them mid-swing. Any tips?

Yup, use barrels. They won't go through. Either that, or use metal no shoots placed sideways. You need something impenatrable. You can spray it white and use it as a metal no shoot. Or staple a no shoot on the barrel. But a Mike is just as bad and evil enough. :-)

Now they are forced to shoot it at the top of the arc, and not the bottom of the swing.

Edited by Aristotle

taxn5sbrkyjjv3cazfmm.jpg

There, that should make things more interesting.

perfect. You can get really trick and do something fun with activation. Like, place both trip lines on the end of a pole, and force the shooter to pull the pole to activate the swingers and call it "fishin for trouble" or you could put pressure pads on either side and have the shooter hold sacks at shoulder height and drop it on the activator at the beginning, something to throw them off of their normal stand relaxed and draw routine.

I know, I'm evil.

I decided to get mean on "WHAAAT?"

Ammo can on barrel A must be placed on either barrel B or C before the last shot is fired.

I want to put a stipulation that they have to carry it with their hand(s). How can that be worded? I don't want anyone getting smart and bringing a rope and a carabiner and putting it around their neck or something.

2h6vqm4mabty2tit93.jpg

Edited by spankaveli

taxn5sbrkyjjv3cazfmm.jpg

With the shooting box, you'll run afoul of 1.2.1.2:

(“Medium Courses” must not require more than 16 rounds to

complete and no more than 3 shooting locations. Course design

and construction must not require more than 8 scoring hits from

any single location or view, nor allow a competitor to shoot all

targets in the course of fire from any single location or view.)

Curtis

Zombieland, 15 rounds, 75 points

START POSITION: Standing downrange, wrists above respective shoulders, handgun loaded and holstered as per current rule book.

STAGE PROCEDURE: Upon signal draw, engage T1-T5 with one round each, perform a mandatory reload, engage T1-T5 with one round each, perform a mandatory reload, engage T1-T5 with one round each. Stacking of shots it not allowed and will incur a per shot penalty.

mk1n93dyy4qtt3bxwgbu.jpg

Same problem with 1.2.1.2.

And as Joe4d noted, the mandatory reload is only legal in a standards course, not a medium course.

Edited to add: We had an illegal stage design at the last Cajun Action match that ran afoul of these same rules, plus it was a Virginia Count, which per 9.2.3.2, can only be used for Classifiers, Standards or Short Courses.

Conform to the requirements for a Standard (1.2..2.1) and you're good to go.

Curtis

Edited by BayouSlide

taxn5sbrkyjjv3cazfmm.jpg

Curtis

Well, you've got 15 shots and the barrier in front of the box should stop the shooter from both seeing all shots from one view and it doesn't require more than 8. Could I add some no-shoots to force the shooter to go to either side?

taxn5sbrkyjjv3cazfmm.jpg

Curtis

Well, you've got 15 shots and the barrier in front of the box should stop the shooter from both seeing all shots from one view and it doesn't require more than 8. Could I add some no-shoots to force the shooter to go to either side?

The problem is the wording, "any single location or view. You're still shooting all from one location. As soon as you start to stray from free style, you really have to pay attention to the rulebook. I ran afoul of all this and more during the COF design portion of my CRO...and George Jones taught me the error of my ways in no uncertain terms. :roflol:

Curtis

Isn't it different for Level I and II matches?

I only thought that because of stage 1 at the gator had 18 hits from one location, et al... What's the difference?

The only differences that immediately come to mind for Level I and II are the following, which cuts the Level I a little slack, allowing for easier/less restrictive setups:

"1.1.5.1 Level I matches may use shooting boxes and specify where or

when specific target arrays may be engaged, and may specify

mandatory reloads in short and medium courses only (not in a

long course)."

9.9.4 Level I matches only - If the written stage briefing prohibits the

engagement of certain targets prior to activation, the competitor will

incur one procedural penalty per shot fired at such targets prior to operating

the activating mechanism, up to the maximum number of available

hits (see Rule 2.1.8.5.1).

In Level II or above, you cannot use the stage briefing to require a competitor not to engage a visible target. You need to deal with that with movers and swingers by vision barriers of some kind.

Regarding Stage 1 at the Gator, based on the issues we're discussing, I don't see how it is a legal stage for a Level II match. If it had separately timed strings, it would have been a legal Standard stage. All the stages at the Gator should have been vetted by the NROI. Based on the rulebook, I don't see how it was approved. Maybe I'm missing something...it's been known to happen. Perhaps someone can clarify how this stage was legal for a Level II match.

Curtis

post-9477-1257379181_thumb.jpg

Edited by BayouSlide

So, according to 1.1.5.1, I can specify reloads in a medium course (Zombieland and Pop & Swing)? So all I'd need to do is break it up into two positions?

What rule made this stage legal? It's got 18 shots from one view/location and mandatory reloads...

http://lagator.org/GatorClassic/Stages/200...edy%20Trial.DOC

Edited by spankaveli

So, according to 1.1.5.1, I can specify reloads in a medium course (Zombieland and Pop & Swing)? So all I'd need to do is break it up into two positions?

What rule made this stage legal? It's got 18 shots from one view/location and mandatory reloads...

http://lagator.org/GatorClassic/Stages/200...edy%20Trial.DOC

Two shooting positions should make it legal for a Level I match.

As far as the stage at the Gator we're discussing, I'm puzzled about how it was approved as well.

Curtis

How about this?

String 1 - Draw and engage T1-T3 with two rounds each freestyle

String 2 - Draw and engage T1-T3 with two rounds each strong hand only

String 3 - Draw and engage T1-T3 with two rounds each weak hand only

0xvi2cp9yqnrbwtggmpj.jpg