Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

looking for stage design software

fenwick

• 2 weeks later...

Visio works well enough but you can't really do a 3D feel.

Sketchup looks awesome but damn, it's a steep learning curve. Maybe I need to watch more videos. I'm pretty good with this sort of thing but I'm having a hell of a time getting going with it.

The thing I learned about learning to use Sketchup was to try to forget anything I ever learned about using Autocad or other CAD/CAM products. Instead I had to think in terms of "How would grandma do X?"

what kink of tutorial is there for the sketchup? It seems very confusing.

Not a "tutorial" but it may help.

Ok 3 questions about that video:

How do you have it so you can toggle between the stage you are building and all the props? I did it wrong I'm sure ... I imported the props into the new stage I'm building and it really slowed everything down ... mistake obviously, so ... some help on that would be great!

What's that bar to the left side that pops up when he is toggling between the 2?

Anyone have a link to the props.skp that he uses? I can't find it in the 3d warehouse ... Edit: n/m ... found it!

Thanks for the video ... helps lots actually

Edited by spideysteve

what kink of tutorial is there for the sketchup? It seems very confusing.

Not a "tutorial" but it may help.

Ok 3 questions about that video:

How do you have it so you can toggle between the stage you are building and all the props? I did it wrong I'm sure ... I imported the props into the new stage I'm building and it really slowed everything down ... mistake obviously, so ... some help on that would be great!

What's that bar to the left side that pops up when he is toggling between the 2?

Anyone have a link to the props.skp that he uses? I can't find it in the 3d warehouse ... Edit: n/m ... found it!

Thanks for the video ... helps lots actually

I have two windows open. my berm.skp and props.skp. in windows, ALT+TAB will switch between windows. i use that to flip back and forth.

Well I was able to draw up a stage (used someone else's stage design, just as my own sort of tutorial since I like the stage), but the pdf doesn't turn out that nice ... the lines are kinda "fuzzy"

... I tried different settings but not sure if this can be cleaned up or not

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the tips here guys

Stage - Irish Coffee.pdf

I prefer to use the Engineering Style that has finer lines, and white backgrounds.

Go to Windows.Styles. Press the black and white expander button. Select "Default Styles", and pick "Engineering Style", or play around with the other styles to see what matches up with the way you prefer to visualize things.

Edited by Skydiver

I prefer to use the Engineering Style that has finer lines, and white backgrounds.

Go to Windows.Styles. Press the black and white expander button. Select "Default Styles", and pick "Engineering Style", or play around with the other styles to see what matches up with the way you prefer to visualize things.

Perfect. Thanks for the tips there. Looks much better

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

One thing I have found using SketchUp is that when you move a prop you should move it on one axis at a time.

You can lock the axis you are moving on by holding down one of the arrow keys and then move it.

That eliminates the issue of props either floating above the range surface or sinking below.

• 2 months later...