Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Captains of Crush grippers

Lawdawg112

Have been working for quite awhile with the Trainer, #1 and the IMTUG #3 and #4. Figured I should try a 1.5 and a #2 on for size. I was able to close the #2 with my right and left hands yesterday. Feels pretty good to reach a goal early in the off season. :cheers:

I would recommend these to anyone.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup love these trainers. I initially bought the bands, #1 and #2 thinking no big deal for that jump, WRONG! I have since purchased a #1.5 and warm up with the #1. I am planning to graduate to the #2 by the end of the year as there is no rush.

I've used torsion spring grip trainers before. Do you gentlemen feel like they favor only certain finger muscles?

i.e. whenever I use mine, my ring finger and pinky tend to not have to work as hard. Since I would guess you would want those fingers to be stronger as they are lower than the rest while gripping the gun, therefore providing more potential torque, are these style grippers really what we want for developing forearm/grip strength for shooting?

Edited by Will_M

• 4 weeks later...
I believe gripping a gun too tight ruins good shooting

Bah. How do you come to that conclusion?

Regardless, "too tight" is relative based on grip strength is it not?

As I've said before, CoC is cool stuff, but I prefer to train my grip through preventing heavy weight from unrolling my fingers.

Old school baby and I can get up to 350lbs with one gripper. I use this for gi gripping work in BJJ rather than for shooting. I believe gripping a gun too tight ruins good shooting

In another thread on the same topic I said something like "a seriously firm grip, backed off just enough to allow normal trigger finger movement would allow for the fastest reset of the gun"....or close. Benos replied that was what worked for him. If it worked for him.... :)

Old school baby and I can get up to 350lbs with one gripper. I use this for gi gripping work in BJJ rather than for shooting. I believe gripping a gun too tight ruins good shooting

In another thread on the same topic I said something like "a seriously firm grip, backed off just enough to allow normal trigger finger movement would allow for the fastest reset of the gun"....or close. Benos replied that was what worked for him. If it worked for him.... :)

Exactly. One normally can't flex the crap out of all their fingers except their trigger finger at the same time. Why fight physiology when it's not nessessary in this case anway.

I've been using these for about a year and a half now. I rotate using the regular grippers and the IMTUG's for individual finger strength. I think it helped my WHO and SHO shooting quite a bit. I'm interested to see how I do at Area 3 coming up that will be the first large match (14 stages) that I will shoot. I don't ever get tired arms or hands shooting the 6 stage matches I usually do so I want to see how it goes at the longer matches in the high heat.

• 5 weeks later...

So what benefits have you guys seen since working on grip strength? I always was told to not try to crush the gun, hold it like hammering a nail. I guess it would all be relative to your overall strength, right? So if your only using 50% power to grip the gun and you can now grip harder through training you should have more recoil control but not sacrifice on trigger control does this sound right?

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a trainer #1 and hy snikies these are tough! How many sets/reps can you guys do with these things?

How often do you train with them? #/day, days/week?

I just did 12 reps each hand while driving and I think I popped something in my head.

I have also been doing some work at the gym with the rope attachment that most guys use for over head tricep extensions. Instead of doing a full tricep ext. I keep my as extended overhead and just flick my wrists back and forth. The movement kind of mimics cracking a whip or casting a fishing pole. It is the closest thing I can think of that works the forearm in a manner that would help resist gun movement backwarfs during recoil.

Edited by jtischauser

For the newbie...start with a bucket of chicken ?

roflol.gif

ROFL. Wow, flex, wow.

Jake's method works pretty well, but for those of you without the equipment to do axle cleans and other random strongman workouts, the grippers should work well, but I'd want some more strength in the whole series of muscles involved in controlling recoil, so some other upper body stuff will help too. Even just pushups, or pushups with someone else who is light on top of you should work.

Dave

Edited by entropic

• 3 weeks later...

Do these really make that much of a difference in performance? Thanks in advance

David S.

Yes.

Read this thread a couple months back, was doing 150 reps with the cheap commonplace grippers while just hanging around the house or while driving during the first month. Finally ordered a CoC #1 and have been using that for the last month or so, as many reps as I can stand, same thing, no real routine, I just tend to have 'em on me when I'm kicking around or driving, paying more attention to my support-hand then strong-hand...

My shooting has improved A LOT, recoil-control, sight tracking, etc, has helped all of it really, just have so much more command over the gun now.

My old "relaxed grip" had me holding the gun at maybe 50% strength compared to where I am now, except I'm probably even more relaxed now as my new "relaxed setting" is so much stronger.

S**t like this is why benos' forum rules.

I keep a #2 on my desk at work and use it every day. Not only is it great at increasing my grip but its a good stress reliever. I feel it has help my shooting and recommend it. I started with a 1, worked up to a 1.5 and now use the 2. Don't start with one that you cannot manage. You get a lot more satisfaction being able to close one and will keep at it longer. Once you master the first one work your way up.

Edited by PJ BAD