Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayou Bullets

Mark K

I got my samples today. I loaded up 10 rounds of 180gr 40SW at 1.180 oal. Just to test, I went ahead and used the same 4.5gr of Clays that I use for 180gr JHP Zeros

at 1.22 oal. I only tested for function and Chrono, not accuracy at this point. This load with JHP Zeros will shoot about 925fps in my SVI. With the Bayou Bullets was a full 125fps faster. No doubt the shorter oal contributed to that.

I loaded up 10 more w/ 4.1gr of Clays at the 1.18 oal and another 10 at 1.20 oal. Hope to chrono tomorrow after the match.

Mark

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got my samples today. I loaded up 10 rounds of 180gr 40SW at 1.180 oal. Just to test, I went ahead and used the same 4.5gr of Clays that I use for 180gr JHP Zeros

at 1.22 oal. I only tested for function and Chrono, not accuracy at this point. This load with JHP Zeros will shoot about 925fps in my SVI. With the Bayou Bullets was a full 125fps faster. No doubt the shorter oal contributed to that.

I loaded up 10 more w/ 4.1gr of Clays at the 1.18 oal and another 10 at 1.20 oal. Hope to chrono tomorrow after the match.

Mark

Putting a lead bullet on a jacketed load will do that! :surprise: 4.1 sounds a little closer to what you need.

Mike

Mark

Putting a lead bullet on a jacketed load will do that! :surprise: 4.1 sounds a little closer to what you need.

Mike

Yeah, I figured that much, had no idea what the coating would do, but know it would not be dangerous, but would give me an idea of where to go.

Mark

Gents,

Should you guys have any questions or feedback (good or bad) regarding Bayou Bullets, please feel free to e-mail me at bayoubullets@yahoo.com

or give me a call 225 324 4501

Many thanks to those of you who have tried them and recommended them to others. I am literally overwhelmed with orders.

Donnie

I shoot Bayou Bullets 9mm 160g in production and have nothing but good things to say. I can't tell the difference between them and jacketed bullets as far as cleaning goes. I use Solo 1000 and get no smoke at all. To top all this off Donnie has top notch customer service and is always very helpful.

I tested Bayou bullets in my G34, G17RTF, G26, G30, and G22. Had no leading, no coating coming off etc. Usually run 3 wet patches and the barrell is clean as a whistle. Only powder residue was on the patches. I shoot them in all my guns now. Have good load data if you pm me I'll send you my spread sheet. I'm also friends with Donnie of Bayou Bullets.

• 1 year later...

So does the revival of this topic mean Donnie is back in full production?

Yes he is. He has resigned his from his job and Bayou Bullets is his "full time" gig now. He has both casting machines and both sizers up and running.

I emailed Mr. Miculek this afternoon, and he replied inside 30 minutes with prices and an expected shipping date next week. His website doesn't have pricing up yet, but he is making bullets.

If his bullets are half as good as his customer service, I'm going to be a long-term customer. Can't wait to load some and try them out.

I bought 4,000 40 cal bullets from him last year. They are awsome bullets, and they don't smoke. What is funny is when other shooters would see them at IDPA matches and ask me why my bullets were green. I would laugh and refer them to Donnie. I haven't shot up all of the one's I bought last year because I'm still shooting some Missouri Bullets I bought also. The Missouri bullets smoke and the Bayou bullets don't...it's night and day. :cheers:

Yeah... +10 for Bayou Bullets. I've run about 10,000 .40 cal and about 7,000 9mm with absolutely no issues. No smoke, no fouling. Donnie is a fantastic guy and makes a killer product.

Definitely draws attention at matches. The shape of the bullet is perfect and runs great even in Single Stack 9mm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

These are really great bullets! The 40 200g RN are super soft, clean, accurate, and function great in my P16-40. I tried the 40, 180g TC also with the same results. I shot them back to back with MG 180g JHPs with little perceptible difference. I'm thrilled with these bullets! They even arrived a full week sooner than I was quoted, in fact they arrived the day they were due to ship. I have found nothing to dislike about Donnie's bullets. We are really blessed with so many good choices in bullets these days. :D

• 1 month later...

I ordered some of these yesterday but didn't know to ask about the grease ring. Do they still have one?

Yes, some bullet feeders set up for jacketed only may have an issue. My bullet feeder is my left hand and it doesn't care so it's a non-issue for me. :D

Just to update anyone interested. He is now selling 147gr 9mm. It has a conical flat point and a grease ring but shoots very good. Also new is a 200gr RN 45acp. He sent me samples of both and they were at my house in 2 days. BBI just lost my business since i haven't recieved shipment since order placed 3/20/11. He is very pleasant and helpful to deal with. Go get'em Mr. Donnie.

I've been using them for two seasons in .45. They are great, IMO, no smoke and I use WW231 powder.

They are all I use for local and major matches.

I still use lead for practice and you can really see a difference in the amount of smoke.