Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayou Bullets

Mark K

I saw the coated lead bullets from Bayou Bullets (Dennis Miculek) at the Gator last weekend.

Anyone care to share their experience? I am most interested in 180gr 40s, and the 125gr 9mm.

What loads are you using. Normally with a lubed lead bullet, I would probably use Solo1000 to cut down on the smoke, but since it is coated and no lube, could I use Clays like I do with my copper jacketed bullets?

Mark

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw the coated lead bullets from Bayou Bullets (Dennis Miculek) at the Gator last weekend.

Anyone care to share their experience? I am most interested in 180gr 40s, and the 125gr 9mm.

What loads are you using. Normally with a lubed lead bullet, I would probably use Solo1000 to cut down on the smoke, but since it is coated and no lube, could I use Clays like I do with my copper jacketed bullets?

Mark

I have a few thousand at the house waiting on a press.

That said, I have spoken to plenty of people who use them and have heard nary a complaint. I'm sure some of them will chime in here shortly.

By the way, that'd be Donnie Miculek, not Dennis.

Edited by spankaveli

Mark

That said, I have spoken to plenty of people who use them and have heard nary a complaint. I'm sure some of them will chime in here shortly.

Donnie is awesome and so are his bullets. I shoot 9mm and have not used the 125's but I have used the 135's and the 160's and they both were the best bullets I've ever used. My barrel is easy to clean afterwards (still using Kroil like I did with the moly's, but that might not be necessary) and there is no lube ring like regular cast bullets to gunk dies/actions up. The coating is tougher than the black moly and it doesn't come off on your hands, etc. like they do. The prices are decent and the consistency has been great for all the batches I've ordered so far. I won't buy anything else now.

As far as powders, I tested a bunch (including Clays) but WSF and Solo 1000 worked best in my gun (WSF for IDPA loads, Solo for lighter steel loads.)

-Kyle

Mark

Yeah, Sorry to Donnie on the name - CRS kicked in.

Mark

I shoot them in my open 40, 6.6 gr VV3n37 OAL 1.158 and love them! barrel stays clean and no smoke, my limited load is 4.5 gr of E3 at 1.158, they do have a smell to them, but you get used to that

I've got 1000 230gr. 45acp bullets waiting on the press. Donnie sent me a sample of them before I bought, if you ask him I'm sure he'd probably do the same for you. The only ones I shot were over clays in a poorly ventilated indoor range. I couldn't believe how little smoke there was. I couldn't see the smoke at all unless I was looking for it, and my .45s liked them just fine.

I've got 1000 230gr. 45acp bullets waiting on the press. Donnie sent me a sample of them before I bought, if you ask him I'm sure he'd probably do the same for you. The only ones I shot were over clays in a poorly ventilated indoor range. I couldn't believe how little smoke there was. I couldn't see the smoke at all unless I was looking for it, and my .45s liked them just fine.

Yes, Donnie is already sending me some of both I requested, for just $5 to cover postage.

Thanks

Mark

I ordered a small batch (500) to try, they should be there when I get home on Monday.

Nemo turned me on to them, I watch both he and Francisco shoot these at the FL Section Match.

I will post a report when I shoot the first batch

I shot three major matches in the last month with the bullets, and couldn't be happier. Donnie was extremely helpful when he found out that I had gotten my self in a bind, and didn't have any match bullets a week before a big match. I will certainly send as much business his way as I can!!!

Mark Dye

I have 750 of the 125s loaded up with the full loading ranges of Clays, Titegroup, WSF, Solo 1000, N310, Silhoutte and Competition. I am running these through my CZ 85 mounted in a Ransom rest. Will finish up testing in the morning but right now I see some real nice groups at 15yds. I only load to 1.10 because my 1911 and CZ run great at this length so I am having some trouble making PF with the faster powders. I can post the result tomorrow if anyone is interested.

One of the guys in my squad at the Gator punched a squib out of his gun and the coating was still intact, even in the rifling grooves.

....... and there is no lube ring like regular cast bullets to gunk dies/actions up.

-Kyle

Do any/all of these bullets have lube grooves? I have only seen the 180s for .40 and they did have the lube grooves....

From the look of the website, they all have lube rings. I asked Donnie to consider having bullets, especially in 40cal, w/o lube ring for those of us that load long. He said he would consider it.

Mark

If found BAYOU BULLETS some months ago. Yamil told me Jerry, the Aysen's and Julie were shooting them at the last IRC. I ordered a small batch of 9's (125gr) to try and the first thing I noticed was that the green "gator snot" coating doesn't stain my fingers... YAHOO!! :D

I loaded these 9's at 1.142" over 3.7gr of Clays to shoot out of our M&Ps. VERY NICE!! Smoke is there but significantly less than moly-coated bbs. Since I've ordered 40-180's and 45-230s. I've shoot the 40's out of my skinnygun propelled by Ramshot Competition. The only time I've noticed the smoke was at the Florida Section while shooting with the sun in my face. IF I cleaned my guns barrels I'm sure I won't find any excessive crud buildup. I don't notice it anywhere else. I haven't shot the 45's but that recipe is also over Clays so I don't expect different results than the 9mm.

Check out the BAYOU BULLETS VIDEO.

To top all this off, Donnie is a super great guy to deal with. Bayou Bullets have the Nemo Seal of Approval.

B)

A lube ring preventing the bullets from being loaded to 1.185" COAL would be a deal breaker for me.

BK,

My 40's are loaded to 1.180 w/o a problem. I'm almost certain there's gotta be another 0.005 you can leave outside the case.

I haven't had a chance to try Donnie's bullets yet, but I did shoot with him in one of the RO squads at the Gator and heard him talking about the price increase mentioned above. His lead supplier recently had a significant price increase which he's having to pass on. Even at the new prices, given their performance, they're still a bargain compared to most of the other coated/jacketed choices.

A lube ring preventing the bullets from being loaded to 1.185" COAL would be a deal breaker for me.

BK,

My 40's are loaded to 1.180 w/o a problem. I'm almost certain there's gotta be another 0.005 you can leave outside the case.

1.180" COAL would work for me no sweat, 1.125" is pushing the limits of reliable feeding. They'll work, but I like what I like. ;)

I'm going to give them a try and see how it goes. I've emailed Donnie and asked to purchase some for testing in hopes that we can start loading FGW ammo for competition shooters featuring Donnie's Bayou Bullets.

Here is some .40 and 9mm data for you with Bayou bullets. I did some more test today with 125's at different OAL's and it seems that the best groups with this bullet was to load to an OAL of 1.100. I'll post some of my data and I'm sure ToddRod will post his we both were testing today using my Ransom rest and our CZ's I also use them in my Dan Wesson 1911, Glocks, and M&p pro.

post-7446-1256953670_thumb.jpg

post-7446-1256953712_thumb.jpg

I just got my sample in and loaded them up with Clays. I got a chance to meet Donnie at the Gator match. I like the fact that the bullets can be handled without getting dirty. I will try them in the morning at the steel match.

I did load them to 1.180.