Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Modify The Scoring System?

Dan Bone

I personally don't care for the up close / in your face target arrays because it's a waste of ammo and only tests whether you're gonna get trigger freeze or not. Granted having one or two up close to get the adrenaline going is fine, but the target banks does nothing for me.

Bob:

I agree that the MD is in the position of catering to the masses to keep them coming back. However, for those of us who would like to see the trend moderate, taking our toys and going home is not the answer. The answer (in my case) is to get out of bed early to design better courses of fire. :)

Our scoring system works just fine. I remind new shooters (constantly) that their points, their A's are worth more TIME to them than to a M or GM shooter. If C class and B class are constantly being won by inaccurate hosers, it just means they're the best of the bunch that isn't maximizing their potential (= they're all doing it wrong but one does it wrong the fastest.)

I think the original post here was saying that close targets (the Azone looks 5x wider than your slide) rewards footwork, almost to the exclusion of any other skill. New shooters who learn the footwork & can run fast will climb up the standings quickly in their first year of competition. Shooters who don't run that fast will stay near the bottom of the scoresheet & kinda drift out of the sport. Itsa shame when that happens. :(

Make at least half your stages test shooting & gunhandling & new people will stay. They'll encourage themselves to practice between matches. BTW black garbage bags & black tape = instant hardcover - at a local match anyway.

I also vote for the Classic target, also lots and lots of STEEL. Nothing demonstrates "knowing" you got your hit more than nailing each steel with one shot and taking off before they all fall. Nothing adds to your time more than make-up shots on steel. It's really that simple.

I think if if hinged steel plates were legal in uspsa, then we wouldn't have to fetch them out of the dirt every run & steel would be a lot more popular. Pepper poppers are hinged but they're so damn heavy that course designers tend to leave them hanging in the target shed.

My $.02

We seem to be forgetting the fact that IPSC is a SPORT where you need to get yourself in physical shape as well as practice shooting. :huh:

Isn't the idea to have a mix of stages and targets where you need to MOVE and shoot fast, as well as targets where you need to be able shoot 40-50 yard A zone hits.

In my limited time shooting IPSC I have noticed the best shooters will work out with weights and run as well as practice shooting.

Amen blkbrd,

I think the fast pace speed of the sport is what makes it exciting. I like tuff stages with long shots but I like the fast speed stages more. Plus if all our matches are close hoser stuff and that is so easy then we would all be winning matches all the time.

On all those hoser stages the big boys are shooting them faster than us AND hitting almost all A's. That is the point of the sport, shoot faster than anyone else while maintaing your accuracy. Yeah you may be able to hose and get lucky hits but once you move up a few classes that won't work anymore. You will eventually have to shoot just as fast and get better hits.

That is the great part of this game....just when you think you are getting good, it will jump up and bite you in the a$$.

Don't change the spirit of the scoring system. The only think I would like to see is for technology to allow instant scoring for spectators. I know we are on the verge of that.....it won't be long!!!