Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Refill Propane Bottles?

Duane Thomas

I know about the adaptors what will allow you to top off your little 16 ounce propane bottles off a 20 pound gas grill bottle. But is there any way, or any sort of places that normally do the work, that you can take the 16 ouncers to have them filled up? And yes, I know you can buy two of the 16 ouncers at Wal-Mart for around five bucks so it's not like just buying new canisters is exactly going to break the bank. It just works better for me, on a mental/logical level, to keep refilling what I already have rather than continually donating empty 16 ounce bottles to the town dump - especially if there could be any money savings, however small, to justify it.

FWIW I have a $20 refilling attachment/adapter from Harbor Freight that I've been using to refill the smaller (1lb) propane bottles.

But it doesn't seem worth the effort - around here a 5 gal/20lb propane refill runs $20 and I can get the 1 lb bottles at Home depot for $2.96 each. Seems like it would be only 1/3 the cost to refill but the hassle isn't worth the difference to me.

Barry

After being refilled a few times the "self–sealing" feature of the 1lb bottles doesn't work so well any more. Sometimes it takes ten refills, sometimes only three. You can't tell when it's going to stop working. Besides losing all the propane that's it's been filled with, there's the little nuisance of all that propane running around loose. Hopefully it's not near a flame or spark and can just drain away harmlessly. Then all you've lost is the savings that was gained by refilling the bottle.

Lou

After being refilled a few times the "self–sealing" feature of the 1lb bottles doesn't work so well any more. Sometimes it takes ten refills, sometimes only three. You can't tell when it's going to stop working. Besides losing all the propane that's it's been filled with, there's the little nuisance of all that propane running around loose. Hopefully it's not near a flame or spark and can just drain away harmlessly. Then all you've lost is the savings that was gained by refilling the bottle.

Lou

+1 on this... I have also experienced the valves not closing completely after a few refills, another reason I've stopped doing it. I think the one-way rubber diaphragm type valves in the 1 lb bottles aren't up to repeated use - especially after getting stabbed repeatedly by a mag fill adapter...!

Barry