Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Standard Lee decap/resize size all the way down?

Z32MadMan

Will a standard lee decaping/resizing die resize all the way down the case? My dillon die doesn't seem to do so, and many of my rounds won't guage well. I think it is because the bottom of the case isn't getting resized. I'm shooting BBI moly bullet and they say on their website not to use a U-die because it will put enough force on the moly bullet to undersize the bullet itself. So I'm wondering if the standard size die will help. And yes my dillon die is all the way down to the shellplate.

Thanks!

Dillon dies are known to leave a lot of the case near the extraction groove unsized. I run a Square Deal with the proprietary Dillon dies for that press. I use a regular Lee resizing die in a single stage press to resize as much of the case as possible, making sure to cam over the press handle to take out all the slop in the linkage. Then I run them as normal through the SD. If I ever pony up for a 650, I'd run a Lee in station 1, or maybe a U die (made by Lee), if I needed it. As is, the regular Lee resizer as been adequate for me. Some run the Lee factory crimp die in the last station as added insurance.

The die that BBI is talking about is the Lee Factory Crimp die as it can resize the bullet as part of the crimp operation. Your question is pretty general as there have been many comments about "Glocked" brass and other causes of ammo not going in a case guage. However most brass that I have that won't fit a case guage is because the rim is out of round or otherwise is the problem. The 9mm is a tapered case but the 40 & 45 are straight wall so it is possible to see if the rim is the problem by inserting the case backwards. Sometimes doing this and wiggling the cases around will allow it to guage.

Personally I use a U die and factory crimp die in 9MM, 40 & 45 and only guage match ammo. Screwups with practice ammo provide the clearance drills that most of us don't do enough.

I rechecked the BBI site and your right! It's the crimp die not the decapping. So a EGW U die should fix my issue then, hopefully. These rounds do gauge backwards a good bit, so I don't thing it's the base being out of round.

I don't seem to have many 9mm's that fail gauge and I am using Dillon dies throughout. A local shooter who is a machinist said he turned the bottom of his Dillon Sizer Die down and it sizes all the way down. That is a cheap fix as long as the guy doing the turning knows what he is doing. If I start encountering more problems I will probably try that fix first.