Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poor Man's Benelli

Boom-Boom

Saw an ad in this month's American Rifleman on the Stoeger M2000 that uses the Benelli inertial operating system. Checked out the specs on stoeger's website and it looks like you can get one w/ synthetic stock, 24" ribbed barrel, removable chokes for about $420 list. You can't even touch a used M1S90 for that price ($985 list). A quick look on the benelli website showed that the M2000 is 0.3 lbs lighter than an M1S90 in the same configuration. So you get almost the exact same gun for less than half the $$$.

Now the questions... can it take an extended mag tube, if so, who makes one? Is it dimensionally similar to the M1S90 and which parts are interchangeable? How well suited would it be to the 3gun game? Benelli is known for their auto-loading reliability (and high price), almost the total opposite of Stoeger. What is the relationship between Benelli and Stoeger? They seem to be owned by the same company.

• 1 month later...

I have the same questions. I bought one for duck hunting. I wanted an auto but didn't want to pay a fortune for a duck gun when I have just started hunting ducks. I got the idea that it might make a good 3-gun shotgun.? I loved it on my first duck hunt. Guess time will tell on reliability of this gun. I also keep hearing that old saying "you get what you pay for!" Anyone use one of these in 3-gun? TXAG

Took my 2000 out for an extended shooting section of quail hunting. It does not like federal game loads. The cheap ones of 7 1/2 shot. It failed to feed about every 5th or 6th round. 3" steel loads have run fine in it. Will have to fire a few more to see how it "breaks in". TXAG

Found this on another website

"Not all Stoeger guns are made by the same company - Stoeger actually manufactures NOTHING. They import the 2000 from Turkey made by Vulsan. The gun is a Benelli clone and uses Benelli/Beretta chokes. Buy the Stoeger 2000 for $410 and you get a $950 Benelli Montefeltro."

http://www.vursan.com.tr/products.htm

So looks interesting..

Rich

My 2000 has gotten a workout this week duck hunting. It is %100 reliable through two boxes of 3" steel shells. I shot a few light dove loads in it and about every 5th one would FTF. I like the gun and for the price you can't beat it. As for longevity, we will see. Felt recoil...less than my 870 with 3.5s. Would have to work out the feeding problem with 2.75s before it made a reliable 3-gun shotgun. Do Benelli extended mag tubes fit this gun? TXAG

AFAIK Beretta owns both Benelli and Vursan. When Vursan started making pretty good Benelli style shotguns Beretta decided it´s better to buy the Turkish company than start competing with it´s low cost products.

Just my 2 cents. :rolleyes:

-AS

Finland

• 2 months later...

I pulled this old topic up cause I still have the same questions as before. Maybe someone knows now. I found nothing about it anywhere else. Will the Benelli exmag tube fit the M2000? I want to shoot more shotgun but with regular tube it is tough to compete. I spend all my time RELOADING! TXAG

• 3 weeks later...

Still no gun, disapointed in the folks it was bought it from. Any day now, but have heard that a couple of times now. Benny and I leave for ms next week so time with it will be short. Will let you know after it gets here and is shot and played with. Larry

Gun got here. Have lightened the bolt system, compressed the recoil spring, polished everything that moves, It will take one on the carrier, & shot the hell out of it w/ 3dr.-1 1/8 oz.-7 1/2 shot. Will feed & eject great. Low recoil slug's are next. Stay tuned.

Gun got here. Have lightened the bolt system, compressed the recoil spring, polished everything that moves, It will take one on the carrier, & shot the hell out of it w/ 3dr.-1 1/8 oz.-7 1/2 shot. Will feed & eject great. Low recoil slug's are next. Stay tuned.

Benny, which one did you get?

When you're done.. What's it going to cost to get one running well?

Sounds like a possible first 3-Gun shotgun if it runs.