Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

my new Sig X-5 open gun

CPUFIXER

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice build. Looks like it falls into the 'shorty' category of 9mm open guns. Looking forward to a range report.

What's the mag capacity? Are you going to need to build big-sticks like they do for Caspians?

I know it's one-off right now, but what would estimate for build cost vs and STI or SV? Just curious......

Good Luck! :cheers:

Very nice build. Looks like it falls into the 'shorty' category of 9mm open guns. Looking forward to a range report.

What's the mag capacity? Are you going to need to build big-sticks like they do for Caspians?

I know it's one-off right now, but what would estimate for build cost vs and STI or SV? Just curious......

Good Luck! :cheers:

The base gun runs about $1700 last I knew. Add maybe $300 for the barrel, $1-200 for the comp, $300 for the scope and mount and a decent chunk to get someone to cut down the slide...pretty much closing in on a full custom S_I by the time all of that gets added up. Nobody makes big mags for it so you'd definitely have to get someone to weld up big sticks for you...not sure how many you could get in the stock mags with extensions, but probably not the 22-24 that's the norm with S_I short sticks. We won't see many of these...that's not to say it's not a cool project. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

Let me explain the process of how I decided to make this into an open gun. When I first bought the X-5 I about 2 1/2 years ago, I decided to send it off to Bruce Gray at Grayguns for their XLP package. This is what was done then: (list taken from their website)

Grayguns Custom Frame Lightning Work Over

Dust cover reduction inside and out

Beaver Tail narrowing

Full Feed & Reliability package

Grayguns Custom hammer bobbing and lightning

Dawson Fiber Optic Front Sight

Perfecto action cleanup with reset smoothing.

Dog Eared rear sight

Cut Factory Sport mag release to intermediate mag release, serrate and refinish

After this I had used it in matches pretty exclusively (Limited minor). There is however one inherent hangup with the X-5 and that is the internal extractor. It is not reliable enough and it became such a problem that I finally gave up using it. I called up my friend Scott Folk at Grayguns (now with Apex Tactical) and we suggested to make it an open gun. (I was getting killed in limited minor anyhow).

After some consultation with Bruce, we decided that the best solution for the extractor problem was to elimintate the internal extractor alltogether. Instead of reinventing the wheel, the decision of using a 226 stainless w/ext extractor slide seemed the way to go. Scott made the comp, fit the match Barsto barrel, made the c-more mount, etc, and now we are testing the comp and hybrid barrel ports with the 9mm major ammo (Atlanta Arms 355 super...I dont have the 9mm Dillon setup yet).

As for mags...Sig said they can't (or wont) import the 25 round mags to the US. Roger Sherman (I think that's his name..Scott knows) makes basepads for the standard X-5 19 round mags that will hold 24 rounds, and I think that the SWAT mags with the basepads could hold 31 (170mm). If we can't get a hold of those SWAT mags, I'll have to have them made...

Is it worth it? The thought of having a true Sig open gun was to much to pass up. We have more to do, but I think it's coming along nicely.

Edited by CPUFIXER

Let me explain the process of how I decided to make this into an open gun. When I first bought the X-5 I about 2 1/2 years ago, I decided to send it off to Bruce Gray at Grayguns for their XLP package. This is what was done then: (list taken from their website)

Grayguns Custom Frame Lightning Work Over

Dust cover reduction inside and out

Beaver Tail narrowing

Full Feed & Reliability package

Grayguns Custom hammer bobbing and lightning

Dawson Fiber Optic Front Sight

Perfecto action cleanup with reset smoothing.

Dog Eared rear sight

Cut Factory Sport mag release to intermediate mag release, serrate and refinish

After this I had used it in matches pretty exclusively (Limited minor). There is however one inherent hangup with the X-5 and that is the internal extractor. It is not reliable enough and it became such a problem that I finally gave up using it. I called up my friend Scott Folk at Grayguns (now with Apex Tactical) and we suggested to make it an open gun. (I was getting killed in limited minor anyhow).

After some consultation with Bruce, we decided that the best solution for the extractor problem was to elimintate the internal extractor alltogether. Instead of reinventing the wheel, the decision of using a 226 stainless w/ext extractor slide seemed the way to go. Scott made the comp, fit the match Barsto barrel, made the c-more mount, etc, and now we are testing the comp and hybrid barrel ports with the 9mm major ammo (Atlanta Arms 355 super...I dont have the 9mm Dillon setup yet).

As for mags...Sig said they can't (or wont) import the 25 round mags to the US. Roger Sherman (I think that's his name..Scott knows) makes basepads for the standard X-5 19 round mags that will hold 24 rounds, and I think that the SWAT mags with the basepads could hold 31 (170mm). If we can't get a hold of those SWAT mags, I'll have to have them made...

We still have more to do, but I think it's turning out nicely.

Wow, that's one heck of a development process! I definitely don't want to know how much $ you've spent so far and, in fact, I'd suggest burning all recipts do you don't know either :P

So when are you going to bring it out to Statesville or Salisbury and run it in a match?

I have Max's class in Raleigh next week, and the Georgia Sectional the week after that. Maybe the Nov. Rowan match?

Edited by CPUFIXER

• 3 weeks later...

Chris ,

With the swat mags and Roger Sherman's mousetraps you can get 29+1 and in some cases 30+1.

If you need a SWAT mag just yell. I can probably hook you up.

I am currently collecting parts to do the very same thing you did. I have a X-5 Competition, the extra 9mm P226 slide, mags, and comp. Once I have the barrel it will all be shipped to GGI. I am currently looking at going the route of a JPoint or Doctor mounted on the slide in order to make for easier swaps back to a Limited gun.

Later,

Dan

• 3 months later...