Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody here use a garden tractor to plow snow?

Given the driveway length and normal width, you definitely want a blade for one of your pickups. For the occasional use you would be giving it I think one of the quick install electrics would get the job done. I used to live in Pontiac and had a 100' driveway that could take hours to clear with a 42" 2 stage blower. Snow in your area can come in bunches and sometimes lake effect snow is heavier and wetter.

I have plowed snow from my driveway and my business for near 40 years.

We have a front end loader and a plow for the business. Loader to pile the crap high enough so as not to lose the lot to piles of snow. Plow to clear the more open areas.

At home I have both a 10HP 2-stage blower and a 30 year old Wheelhorse tractor. On the Wheelhorse, i have whell weights and chains. I can plow snow a foot deep or more, but depending on the wetness of the snow, i may have to take small bites. The blower only really works on dryer snow. real heavy wet just doesn't make it as good.

If I had a long drive way and a large yard that I had to mow and was starting out fresh, I would go for a decent TRACTOR, not a lawn mower and a blade or blower attachment. A plow on your truck is OK, but you will still have a lot to do that the truck won't reach, plus the Tractor you'll keep and use for years, the truck you'll want to trade every few years and that means a new plow hook up.

Alternate is to get a older truck that is just a kick-around, put the plow on it and don't worry, maybe use it for range truck or fishing out side of the depths of winter. Downside is that you have to have plates and insurance whereas the Tractor doesn't need them.

Good luck, here's hoping for a mild winter.

Jim

There has got to be a law somewhere that prohibits anyone from putting a snowplow on the front of an FJ Cruiser. That just isn't right.

For the snowblower, make sure the garden tractor is large enough to be able to handle a "two stage" snowblower. The single stage units work well but they aren't made to clear the larger areas that a two stage one will. Oh, one more thing - John Deere green is the only color to consider.

There is no colder cold than what comes from snow dust landing on you while snowblowing. Maybe that heated cab and warm cup of coffee isn't such a bad idea after all.

A plow on your truck is OK, but you will still have a lot to do that the truck won't reach, plus the Tractor you'll keep and use for years, the truck you'll want to trade every few years and that means a new plow hook up.

Alternate is to get a older truck that is just a kick-around, put the plow on it and don't worry, maybe use it for range truck or fishing out side of the depths of winter. Downside is that you have to have plates and insurance whereas the Tractor doesn't need them.

Well, I actually have very little that I won't be able to do with a plow....a short sidewalk in front of the house and the rear deck is all...both would be easy with the thrower I've already got.

My last truck stayed with me for 14 years so I'm not too worried about that....and the new setups are nearly universal hookups with just a couple of small adapter plates for each model (not expensive). The other thing is we have already have two vehicles plus my work ride here so adding another truck would waste a lot of space.

The guy that cuts our lawn (sometimes) uses a push mower so it's not like I really need a riding mower to handle it now...sorta makes it hard to spring for the expensive tractor. R,

For the last 8 years I've run a 4-wheeler with a blade. Works great and I have two 50 yard driveways on my property plus I usually have to clean out the cul-de-sac after the county is done doing their part. <_< There's times a blower may work better but no complaints using a blade.

I did rescue a 25 year old walk behind blower from my mom's place that I am trying to bring back from the dead. If successful, it could come in handy in some situations.

You know if you drive dead SOUTH on that tractor with that snow blade on it.

Sooner or later someone will say, what is that thing on the front of your tractor?

Then you will know you are in the right place!

You just might be in Texas. We don’t need those things around here.

Texas gun Friendly, SNOW noooooooooo!

Jim M ammo

Hi I knew some guys that plowed snow with trucks and blades,had a lot of problems with front ends on trucks.Think I would go with old junker truck or tractor.

Yeah, I think that was why they've recently come out with the significantly lighter plow setups for half-tons that only weigh around 400lbs. The previous "light" setups were all 600+LB range. R,

I just drive over the snow and let is melt in the spring. :)

That's what I do. :cheers:

I have a Craftsman 20.5 HP garden tractor. To put the blade on, you have to remove the mow deck. I've found that if the snow is too deep to drive through with the 4-Runner or the Highlander, then it is too deep to plow with the tractor. :-)

Anybody want to buy a blade?? :angry2:

Don't know if this will help. I live in east central IL. We don't get near the snow ya'll get:(

I have a quad w/blade. 50 inch blade is plenty for my 350 Rancher. It works well for 6 inches or less of snow. Less if it's wet snow. You can get a tarp cab for any quad. They actually work very well. You will get quite a bit of heat off the motor. My brother had one, I tried it and liked it. But his wife got it in the divorce.

Anything over that I use my IH 460 w/blade. It's a 1961 model and you might be able to get into one with a blade for $4000+. It is a full sized tractor and I have a heat houser that I put on in the winter.

If there's enough snow you need to blade the drive........shouldn't you maybe get YOURSELF a BIG 4x4. You do work for the gubmint.

Don't know if this will help. I live in east central IL. We don't get near the snow ya'll get:(

I have a quad w/blade. 50 inch blade is plenty for my 350 Rancher. It works well for 6 inches or less of snow. Less if it's wet snow. You can get a tarp cab for any quad. They actually work very well. You will get quite a bit of heat off the motor. My brother had one, I tried it and liked it. But his wife got it in the divorce.

Anything over that I use my IH 460 w/blade. It's a 1961 model and you might be able to get into one with a blade for $4000+. It is a full sized tractor and I have a heat houser that I put on in the winter.

If there's enough snow you need to blade the drive........shouldn't you maybe get YOURSELF a BIG 4x4. You do work for the gubmint.

One of the guys here has a full size 40hp tractor with a blade and he says the problem with it is that when it really snows even that will wind up spinning the tires....it's not 4WD. He has a quad with a blade and says he just makes lots of passes before the buildup gets too high.

Man, I have no idea why they buy Crown Vics in an area with so much snow, but they're really trying not to buy any SUV's so I'm probably out of luck there. R,

I have a John Deer 300 with a 42 or 44 inch blade. My drieway is only 20 yards or so, double wide. No problem pushing snow around. The problem is when I don't push the snow far enough to make room for the next time I plow. Once the pile of snow is frozen there is no moving it.

The tractor/plow combination is faster so I use that in the mornings to get out and I have an 8HP snow thrower I use to clean up when I get home from work.

The big plow on your wifes truck might be the fastest, most comfortable solution.

In the last ten years here in southern Michigan I don't recall more than 2 or 3 winters that had heavy accumulations of snow. The other years there was light snow or it melted away shortly after falling.

I have to say, I really enjoy pushing the snow around and snowthrowing. Perhaps my opinion should be DQ'd from your query. It doesn't sound like you plan on enjoying it.