Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

4th generation frame ( fourth )

Flexmoney

merged threads (and tweaked the title to make it more apparent that this is the 4th gen thread) - Mod Squad.

Well...... Just got back in country and took my Glock recertification for armorer. Up for us to man handle was the new 4th Gen Glock they are going to unveil at SHOT. It has three different grips, smaller than standard, standard, and Slim Frame size. This will be in the G22 only for now. It has a different texture than the RTF. It will also have a new recoil spring and rod. Also a big button mag release that is able to be swapped around if desired, instead of the ambi like on some of the Slim Frames. Thats about it, I have to say I wasn't real impressed but I think they are trying to grab some market by doing the grips and such. The big thing for me as an armorer is that parts compatibility will be almost zero with other models. Instead of 60 to 75% in the old ones. The price will also be more that the other models. Overall a C+ rating from me, whatever that is worth. :cheers:

Edited by Flexmoney

If Glock would team up with MagPul, they might be the first ones to add an interchangeable FRONT section for the pistol grip that would allow users to exchange inserts to allow for fingergrooves, stippling, plain, etc. Then users could have something similar to their choice of the Gen 2 or Gen 3 front, or even customized to their hand.

Now that is just WAY too good an idea.

Edited by Flexmoney
clarity, flow, after merging

Had the chance to shoot one of the 4th gen's. I liked it. I think the backstrap configuration and the way that they are attached are better than the competitions. The new recoil spring seems ok and they claim reliability improvements over the old springs, which would be good for duty weapons, but competition shooters will not be able to use different springs or guide rods (til the aftermarket catches up) as the new assembly is a different size. The mag release was a little easier to use compared to the old standard release, but you can't put an extended size in (such as a large frame release). The grip texture is pretty aggressive and I doubt that most shooters would need grip tape, so I liked that. Aftermarket mag wells will not fit, so that will have to catch up also. The price is unchanged, unlike some (XDM's v XD). Overall, I think they did a very job and the new guns address pretty much any complaints that I have heard over the 3rd gen's. I plan to continue with my 3rd gen's for now (at least until aftermarket catches up), but I bet most shooters would pick the 4th gen's when given the choice.

That would be a great idea. FWIW, I much prefer the spacing of the finger grooves on my G19 to my G35. They're closer together on the compact frame and force my hand up high and tight to the underside of the trigger guard. A G35 top end on a G19 frame would be perfect, for me.

Had the chance to shoot one of the 4th gen's. I liked it. I think the backstrap configuration and the way that they are attached are better than the competitions. The new recoil spring seems ok and they claim reliability improvements over the old springs, which would be good for duty weapons, but competition shooters will not be able to use different springs or guide rods (til the aftermarket catches up) as the new assembly is a different size. The mag release was a little easier to use compared to the old standard release, but you can't put an extended size in (such as a large frame release). The grip texture is pretty aggressive and I doubt that most shooters would need grip tape, so I liked that. Aftermarket mag wells will not fit, so that will have to catch up also. The price is unchanged, unlike some (XDM's v XD). Overall, I think they did a very job and the new guns address pretty much any complaints that I have heard over the 3rd gen's. I plan to continue with my 3rd gen's for now (at least until aftermarket catches up), but I bet most shooters would pick the 4th gen's when given the choice.

How is the mag release different? Wider? Bigger?

I would probably dislike the finger grooves, since I loved the feel of the 2nd Gen frames, were it not for the fact that they fit my hand perfectly. Really, it's like they used my hand to dimension the things. It's eerie. :)

I thought I was the only one. I love the 3rd generations. They fit my hand perfectly. I have a couple 2nd generation Glocks I was thinking of swapping for 3rd generation. Now maybe with the 4th generation coming out there will be some people dumping their 3rd gens that I can snap up.

Welcome back Jay, is this for good or just a break ? So...did they do anything to add more of a beavertail to that new grip ?

Hey thanks, nope going back this week, just had a month off. No addition to the beavertail either.

How is the mag release different? Wider? Bigger?

To answer your question lawdog, yes. It is taller and wider. A lot bigger hole in the frame to fit it in flush. It doesn't come out from the frame to much though.