Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accurate but slow ?

Flexmoney

Do you have any suggestions for someone who is extremely accurate shooting a semi auto handgun but SLOW. I need to speed up but I'm not sure how? I shoot masterclass in IDPA and B (almost A) in USPSA Production. I shoot a couple of times a week but can't figure out how to speed up! Any advice?

Shooter H

Shooter H,

You need to put this on the forum. (Do a search first and see if you can find a previous thread on the topic...it's been mentioned a time or two. ;) )

I just don't have the time to go one-on-one. On the forum everybody benefits. Lots of good perspectives.

Kyle

I've searched for hours and found some small stuff but nothing particular to my needs or problems. Thanks anyway.

Shooter H

I'll help. I just won't help in a PM. ;)

What if somebody asks me the same thing again tomorrow or next week? I've got to start over and type it all again. What if my advice sucks, but somebody else can add something that hits home?

This stuff is best on the forum.

In contrast with my usual 2000 pages long posts (sorry, I'm working on getting my point accross in a brief manner), I'll try to make this one short.

Shooter H, I can offer some advice that helped me (and still do),

-(Learn to and) Call your shots. I know a lot of people that can shoot accurately but can't call their shots. They depend on perfect sight pictures, conscious trigger pulls and a better than average pulse (steady hands) to get their hits. If, on a given shot, one of these components is lacking, they're in the dark.

-Understand and keep in mind that a shot doesn't HAVE to be a PERFECT one to hit the A. Or maybe you could define a perfect shot as being the one that hits the A (anywhere).

-Don't be affraid to "unleash" yourself and shoot past the edge of feeling in control (and I mean where the bullet lands, not safety-wise), you may be surprised to find that you can indeed shoot faster while retaining accuracy.

-Cease trying to "aim at the target and release the shot", and start SHOOTING the target.

Hope it helps.

Learning to call all your shots instantly and with a good degree of precision will speed up everything you do.

You'll shoot faster, your transitions will be quicker, and time between shooting positions will decrease. All because everything you do will be done more decisively.

And there's lots of good threads on calling shots.

Also, check this section on Control/Abandon in my site.

be

Shooter H,

Welcome to the forum!

"extremely accurate shooting" That's fine.

But try shooting extremely fast and pretty accurate for a while. :cheers:

Train with acceptable hits in mind.

Jim

Could be lots of things...?

- A basis grip and stance issue. An inefficient grip and stance can make it harder to bring the gun onto (or back onto) the target spot quickly.

- Over-aiming for the shot required. Too much "perfect" sight picture

- Crappy sights. Crappy vision.

- Visual focus locked on the front sight during target transitions.

- Doing everything consciously...one...step...at...a...time.

etc.

Video would be helpful. If not that, then some standard drills, with split times. (we have a whole section on drills)

However, am I guessing right in that your shooting isn't the issue? It's more of getting around the stage well?

Thanks for all the replies. I absolutely love this website!

I'm very deliberate in my shooting in almost every aspect. My transitions are slow and my double taps are considered slow. The only thing that helps me is I'm a very accurate shooter and I don't drop a lot of points. I'm 46 years old and started out shooting PPC - revolver over twenty years ago. PPC stresses accurate shooting with very liberal times. Twenty years later, I'm still accurate but slow with my semi auto in competition. Even on close target stages I'm afraid to let it all hang out and find myself concentrating on the sight picture. Without speading up, I will never get to the next level. Oh yeah ... I've got sight picture and trigger control down pat. You will have to trust me when I say "I'm a slow MA in IDPA and slow B-almost A in Production".

I have spent the past two weeks reading through the threads on SNAPPING THE EYES during some drills with the targets spread out at various distances.

How do I break the habit of getting that perfect sight picture every time and consciously doing one step at a time?

Shooter H

I'm very deliberate in my shooting in almost every aspect. My transitions are slow and my double taps are considered slow. The only thing that helps me is I'm a very accurate shooter and I don't drop a lot of points. I'm 46 years old and started out shooting PPC - revolver over twenty years ago. PPC stresses accurate shooting with very liberal times. Twenty years later, I'm still accurate but slow with my semi auto in competition. Even on close target stages I'm afraid to let it all hang out and find myself concentrating on the sight picture. Without speading up, I will never get to the next level. Oh yeah ... I've got sight picture and trigger control down pat. You will have to trust me when I say "I'm a slow MA in IDPA and slow B-almost A in Production".

I have spent the past two weeks reading through the threads on SNAPPING THE EYES during some drills with the targets spread out at various distances.

How do I break the habit of getting that perfect sight picture every time and consciously doing one step at a time?

Shooter H

Brian Enos has given you a great drill to help in this thread. Edited by baerburtchell

Take the sights off the gun. Seriously.

First, work on your presentation and pressing the gun out to the target. You ought to be able to do so with your eyes closed...then, be able to open your eyes and be on target and in alignment.

Get that down cold. Then, take the sights off the gun (or tape them over).

And, shoot.

Shooter H

I'm with you on this, "fast is fine, but accuracy is final". Also coming from a PPC background (PB of 1496) and now mostly NRA AP, I too strive for perfect sight alignment, and trigger control. To do otherwise is a bad idea. HOWEVER, what I do is try to have the best sight alignment, and best trigger control possible "within" the time (split) that I feel that I need to get the shot(s) off based on the distance or dificulty of the shot.

This may be the same as what others are saying, but this approach allows me to not like it but, to accept less than perfect sights. I never want to strive for less than perfect sites, but learn to settle for it.

MJ :cheers:

I shot the Indiana Sectional in a squad with Tony Hawkins, Micah Barcelo, Andy Wood, Chris Keen and Joel Ripper. All agreed I need to shoot faster and I'm taking too much time for the perfect double tap. My transitions from target to target were also slow.

Shooter H

I'll say it again....speed is a direct by-product of economy of motion, or in this case, the longer time it is takingyou to get that 'perfect' sight picture, like flex said, practice drawingthe gun and with eyes closed see where it ends up when you open your eyes(i learned it shooting bullseye) presentation is halfthe battle, then comes the learningthat a less than perfect sight picture at a target will still get you an 'A' hit depending on the range of the target, that is up to you to figure that out, the good shooter are plugging all that info in on the fly, what is the target(full/open or hardcover or has a no shoot??) and at what range is it, those two combinations right there along with your skill level will determine how long you spend on a target....

example...a friend of mine once shot a string of targets going away from him, starting at 7 yrds and ending 35+ yrs away...he hammered all the targets at the same speed as the close one, and wondered why he didnt have any hits on the furthest one????

Shooting near to far and far to near targets is a good way to learn what you need to see to make the shot at various levels of target difficulty. Have someone watch you. Time yourself too with a shot timer. Your splits should change and you should hear/feel yourself shooting at a different rate at different ranges.

Speed, for me, has relied on two things: (1) Learning what is an acceptable sight picture for the target and committing to it - meaning firing without hesitation when I see what I need to see. (2) Efficiency in movement.

One way to learn to be faster is this: Time yourself drawing and firing one round as fast as you can with no regard to shot placement (within safe reason of course). You can either do it into the berm or with your eyes closed. Just fire as soon as you reach full extension. Get a good average and write it down. Now set your timer's par setting to that time and start shooting a target, trying to match that time. You can also go "backwards" and do the same thing timing your shot on a target shooting A's. Then set your par timer.1 sec lower and try to beat it. Keep lowering the par time and see what it does. What you'll probably see is that you can force yourself to shoot faster, to a point, with no loss in accuracy. The fact is that you are probably on target a lot sooner than you think you are and you are wasting a lot of time waiting for your conscious mind to catch up and press the trigger.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
-Cease trying to "aim at the target and release the shot", and start SHOOTING the target.

Hope it helps.

I am always working on my speed as well. What do you mean by this. thanks in advance.

I'd like to guess at this. I'm thinking Pierruiggi is suggesting that you should be looking at this as a single subconscious step. When your have the sight picture your shot should break- think of it a one fluid step. You shouldn't really even need to think about "aiming". Oh... and drive the gun to the target for every shot.

Hope it helps.

I am always working on my speed as well. What do you mean by this. thanks in advance.

See the following links for more in depth disscussion on this topic. Basicly conscious shooting is much slower than sub-consious shooting, you are over thinking the processes. You body knows how to shoot A's it can do it better/faster if you get out of the way.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=78947

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=95509

MDA