Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is THE revolver to have for IDPA

ben b.

Nothing is ideal, but I think this comes pretty darn close. S&W 686SSR, Safariland holster, trimmed Jet loaders & TKW loader holders. This is my rig...

sn850138cs7.jpg

That looks pretty ideal to me. Almost the same setup that I use. (I have a regular 686, I love it!)

• 2 weeks later...

Ruger is making inroads up here with their GP 100 with the 4.2" barrel. The gun probably was made to conform to Californai Gun Laws. We have a restriction of 105 mm or about 4" up here. I wish S&W would make their guns with a barrel length just long enough to conform to our laws, say 4.2". Just enough to meet IDPA rules as well. They are giving up a market for their pistols both in Californai and up here. For me, Ruger GP 100 is my next revolver buy as I want to compete in the US with a revolver. I shoot a 625 with a 5" barrel up here in ESR(we ahve an exemption) but I can't shoot it in competitions south of the 49th.

Take Care

Bob

Robertbank,

A lot of the newer S&W Revolvers have a 4 1/8 inch barrel. My 686 PC 38 Super does and I think my 10-8 has also.

Check the Brownells catalog for replacement barrels to see which models.

I don't know if this info will help you guys in Canada or not. IDPA rules allow Revolver barrels to be up to 4.2 inches long.