Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Creating a Specific WAV file on a Mac

benos

I'm trying to convert a mpg to a wav file, that I can use for my fancy new phone system's hold music.

I converted an mpg in iTunes, but when I upload the file I get the error/instructions in the attached pic.

Does anyone know of a program that will do that on a Mac?

be

post-171-1254787792_thumb.jpg

I've tried about 6 converter downloads from versiontracker, and so far I don't have jack. Either taken to a spam site, get a "you don't have permission to access this site message," "won't run on my mac" error... I finally got one that looked good, and allowed me to specify some settings - SoX Wrap - but when I clicked to convert the file it returned "finished" but I can't find the file anywhere, even though it was supposd to go on my desktop. I also spotlighted for its name, but nothing. Irritating.

be

I have pro level audio mastering software for my Mac and should be able to convert it for you to your specs.

I'm leaving for Area 4 tomorrow but could take care of it for you when I get back.

PM me if I can help you out and I'll give you my e-mail address or upload instructions to our Web file server.

:cheers:

Curtis

Thanks for the offers to convert the file. I'll PM if I end up going for that. I'd really like to get whatever I need to do it on my own though, so I can substitute a new file whenever I'm in the mood.

I checked on Quicktime Pro, it's only 30 bucks - I'm just going to buy it.

Thanks!

be

Brian, a good and free audio editor/converter is Audacity which is available for Mac OS X.

Thanks - yes, Audacity is a great app. I checked it yesterday, but couldn't figure out how to control the wav export settings. But I found it today in its prefs. So I'm uploading a test file now... but I'm not optimistic. Because in Audacity, there wasn't export selections for CCITT u-Law, and 7 kb/sec. And it seems like the upload web portal is pretty darn particular about what it will let live there.

... waiting... Sadness, it shut me down. The portal will also accept a MOV file. So once I'm up and running with QT PRO, I'll fiddle with it some more.

be

Crap.

I tried an upload exported from QT PRO... all the export settings were as specified in the attached pic in my opening post, except the Format setting. QT didn't offer the UUIT Format setting. The only QT setting for Format was Linear PCM.

Rejected.

:angry2:

Crap.

I tried an upload exported from QT PRO... all the export settings were as specified in the attached pic in my opening post, except the Format setting. QT didn't offer the UUIT Format setting. The only QT setting for Format was Linear PCM.

Rejected.

:angry2:

I think this is for your computer based telephone, no? Sometimes, with music run though Apple codecs, a non-reproduce tag is attached which does not allow that file to be used elsewhere. If the original source of the music is a CD, try recording into Quicktime and putting it in the phone system. Linear PCM is a generic name for telephony format (and that is also used in computers, etc.) for audio digitalization. Should work-telephone should transform format or use it as PCM. I have had two different computer phone systems-they both worked ok, and could be customized. However, when it came time to upgrade software, they were not forward compatible. So-back to Skype if I want to record calls-which is rare. Cell for everything else. A lot of this is related to licensing issues for music. Apple had to guarantee that if music were licensed for iPods, it would not be in a form that could be easily or readily copied (like in China) for bootlegging purposes. MS followed suit. Of course, the government is interested in these issues, because they are responsible for enforcing piracy violations. So-long windedness over-if you own a CD with the music you want-you will eventually be able to do it. Thee will be some issues that only trial and error will figure out. Such is the nature of current software-very advanced, but various incompatibility issues related to licensing and revenue. Freeware is becoming less and less useful in this regard, simply due to the labor intensive nature of software development. Hope this helps.

mainshootah,

Zamzar doesn't allow adjusting any of the output settings for the wav file. And the web portal I have to upload the wav file to is real picky (see pic in my first post) - it hasn't accepted any wav file yet. But I tried one anyway and will try to upload it tomorrow.

Jadeslade,

I have to upload the file via a webportal, then the wav file will become my hold music, and the portal will only accept a very specific wav file... so I'm not sure we're on the same page.

I may just send them a mac-specific tech ticket tomorrow on it.

Thanks guys.

be

Yeah-it's making the music file that is hard. Simply transforming it inside iTunes or does not always work. What I meant about a CD was to play the CD into your computer recording it with Quicktime. It has been a couple of years since I did this very thing-but I remember being at it for many hours and finally getting it right. The screenshot above showed standard codecs for audio files, so it should work. Personal use of any music is allowed-getting the source code for the music free and transformable is difficult but not illegal, and getting harder. What I am talking about is the hidden code in music files. If you play guitar and sing into the mike-that is free from any hidden code. Try doing that-just speak if you don't sing. If you can take that file and upload it into your phone system, then you should eventually be able to do it with music files. If you can not-I would call the phone software people and explain the issue. Hope this is more clear.

Ok-I did little research on this, because I wanted to know, too. I am using Quicktime X-the new version of QT that came with Snow Leopard. The new QT will not be retroactively able to do this so.... I have a MacBook G3 running PowerPC 900mHz, and OS 10.4. I checked out QuicktimePro on the G3. I made some music into QTPro by humming and using handclaps-that is audio.mov. Take the music file and export it to Documents(or your favorite folder) using audio.au(Sound to AU); click Options, put in mu-2.1 that should be the CCITT u-law codec form for US telephony, click Mono on Channels, then on Rate, manually put in 7,000 kHz, then save. That Audio.au (pick any name.au) should be acceptable. You may need to record your music into QT directly. A .au file is a wav file. I hope this works. You can also find someone with an older Windows computer (pre-Vista) and use Sound Recorder (built in recording and transforming software in Windows) and upload your music from there.