Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Irons: fiber optic front post.. or no?

Vespid_Wasp

Greetings!

I have been shooting Tac-Irons and have generally had no trouble hitting what I shoot at with standard irons.... generally. ;)

I am wondering if it would be worthwhile to use a front sight post with a fiber optic insert for a bit faster shooting at up close hoser rifle arrays. Anyone with any experience with both setups? I won a sightlink front post with multiple different colors of fiber optic inserts recently. Looks like a decent post assuming that there is any advantage to fiber optics. I'm not sure it would be ideal for longer range precision. Of course I'm still just running a standard thick post on a carbine length gas system, which is less than ideal anyways. Until the budget allows for a dedicated 3-gun rifle, I'm making do with what I can.

Thanks.

Tough call. Trapr, Kurt Miller and I don't use them. Bruce Piatt (pre-Burris sponsorship!) and Robbie Johnson do. I'm not sure about Ted Puente. I'm pretty sure Isto did not have one when he won the ERC.

Bruce and Robbie have skinny posts with itty bitty fiber optics in them. They have no problem at long range. Of course, I don't have one and I have no problems at short range. But I can say that I would definitely go with a skinny normal front sight over a stock width front sight with a fiber.

Tough call. Trapr, Kurt Miller and I don't use them. Bruce Piatt (pre-Burris sponsorship!) and Robbie Johnson do. I'm not sure about Ted Puente. I'm pretty sure Isto did not have one when he won the ERC.

Bruce and Robbie have skinny posts with itty bitty fiber optics in them. They have no problem at long range. Of course, I don't have one and I have no problems at short range. But I can say that I would definitely go with a skinny normal front sight over a stock width front sight with a fiber.

Thank you for the information. I will give it a try and see how it works for me.

I tried them, when they first came out and the one I had was too wide for any long range stuff. I tried a narrower version but it was soo fragile it never made through getting sighted in when it broke and I then put the old one back in and never looked back.

I used the Mounting Solutions Plus sight.

The metal post come in three sizes. I used the smallest at .050 with a .020 fiber optic.

follow this link for photo and details. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?prod...&t=11082005

I went to a fiber optic when the R&R plates started to show up at matches. They would paint the targets white and the protective square plate below the target black. Using a 6 O'Clock hold, I would loose the black front sight in the black protective plate. The fiber optic fixed that problem.

On a close hoser stage, I don't know if it helped but several times I thought I was shooting a dot sight, when my brain would register the green fiber optic dot in the center of the targets. I don't think it was a help, just something I noticed.

Bruce Piatt

I use the MS .050 FO as Bruce mentions on my guns. I had the standard .070 MS sights but they are too fat for

long range. I agree with the red-dot appearance on close targets. And on longer targets or ones in the dark shadows, the FO helps me know where my front post is.

Craig