Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10/22

sslldd

I am thinking of buying a 10/22 and looking for reviews on the best models?

What do you intend to do with it? Rimfirecentral has as much info on 10/22s as you could possibly ever need.

I finally got around to putting a scope on the 10/22 I built before moving and shot it this week....wow. I bought a standard blue (black paint now) model with a synthetic stock, pulled the barrel and trigger group out, gave away the stock, and set it up with a Predator Raptor stock, Kidd 2-stage trigger (8oz takeup, 16oz break), Rimfire Technologies Quantum 17" barrel and did some bolt polishing/tuning myself. I slapped a C-More aluminum bodied tactical model on it with an 8moa dot (for shooting steel). At 25yds the first five groups were all 1/2" or less as I was adjusting the zero....not really taking any time to shoot great groups and all I was using was a rolled up hand towel to support the forend on the bench. That was with CCI SV (R/T cuts chambers specifically for CCI ammo, or tighter for more expensive stuff). He swears 1/4" at 25yds is nothing special with that setup and since I was using no magnification, with an 8moa dot, I have to imagine he's not making false claims at all. I was really floored when the first group came back at .4" :surprise:

The only downside is I probably have $1K in a 10/22 now....lol

I am thinking of buying a 10/22 and looking for reviews on the best models?

What do you intend to do with it? Rimfirecentral has as much info on 10/22s as you could possibly ever need.

I finally got around to putting a scope on the 10/22 I built before moving and shot it this week....wow. I bought a standard blue (black paint now) model with a synthetic stock, pulled the barrel and trigger group out, gave away the stock, and set it up with a Predator Raptor stock, Kidd 2-stage trigger (8oz takeup, 16oz break), Rimfire Technologies Quantum 17" barrel and did some bolt polishing/tuning myself. I slapped a C-More aluminum bodied tactical model on it with an 8moa dot (for shooting steel). At 25yds the first five groups were all 1/2" or less as I was adjusting the zero....not really taking any time to shoot great groups and all I was using was a rolled up hand towel to support the forend on the bench. That was with CCI SV (R/T cuts chambers specifically for CCI ammo, or tighter for more expensive stuff). He swears 1/4" at 25yds is nothing special with that setup and since I was using no magnification, with an 8moa dot, I have to imagine he's not making false claims at all. I was really floored when the first group came back at .4" :surprise:

The only downside is I probably have $1K in a 10/22 now....lol

ONLY $1K?

I've seen $2K 10/22s.... LOL

I'm still looking for a fire-sale already-built one...

Jeff

I've got a tricked out 10/22 that I built that is hovering just over $1k, and a Magnum Research 10/22 that's completely stock except for the cmore, and I shoot it 10 times more than I do my customer 10/22.

Do spend some time at rimfirecentral.com. I'm there and with the help of several good folk built a 10/22 for $500 minus optics. With the right ammo it's a sub-moa gun. In particular do a search for posts from Chief Dave. Dave was a fixture on the forums and was truly an expert on 10/22s. Unfortunately he died this year but his knowledge and skill still lives on in his posts.

Just what do you want to do with it?

Ruger just announced the SR22 which is an AR lookalike (almost). Built on the 10/22 action and uses standard 10/22 mags. Retail is a little high $600+ but who pays retail? Info should be up on their website.

FWIW

Richard

Edited by chirpy

Duane- being a gun writer can have its benefits!!!

SSLIDD- just keep your eyes open and you should stumble across one... spend time on rimfire central and look at gunbroker and local pawn shops. One advantage of the 10/22 is that there have been more than 5 million produced.. so they are out there.

I travel a lot on business and make it a point to stop by as many gunstores and pawn shops as I can. I see a lot of used ones with some parts swapped out usually at pretty decent prices...

Just hang in there

Briley has spectrum barrels and they also have stocks, and trigger groups, the trigger groups are not on thier website, but you can talk directly with claudio. I think they make one that goes down to 1/2lb

http://www.briley.com/rifleaccessories.aspx

Briley doesn't make a 10/22 trigger but they do sell the Kidd trigger which is the best on the market. Claudio told me this himself. The Kidd trigger is a step or two above anything else.

Briley has spectrum barrels and they also have stocks, and trigger groups, the trigger groups are not on thier website, but you can talk directly with claudio. I think they make one that goes down to 1/2lb

http://www.briley.com/rifleaccessories.aspx

Briley doesn't make a 10/22 trigger but they do sell the Kidd trigger which is the best on the market. Claudio told me this himself. The Kidd trigger is a step or two above anything else.

+1, without question. I have mine set at 8oz of takeup and 16oz break, but it can go down to 4oz takeup and 8oz break with a slight adjustment. I LOVE this trigger :wub:

Just shot a .22 match today with my Magnum Research 10/22 and I was reminded of how frigging cool this rifle is, it shoots like a dream.

I also got to play with one of the M&P22's and have decided to add one to my collection, that is a sweet looking/handling/shooting gun...but I'll probably wait to see the new ruger 22 first....cuz you just never know.

The 10/22 is ubiquitous to say the least. It is kind of like the 1911 or AR platform (or the Chevy 350 motor) in that you can make it into anything that you would like. They are as reliable and durable as an anvil. Accuracy out of the box is decent, but the sky if the limit with barrel swaps, etc. I have one with almost 750,000 rounds through it. The breechface is peened like crazy and the barrel is almost a smoothbore- but it still runs great.

I'm thinking of building a 10/22 as well. I built one for my son using a full gun, only thing left is the action. Has an Alumalite barrel and I love the weight, but we went through 16 kinds of .22 ammo before finding one that would shoot one hole. Turns out it was an old box of Eley Practice and they don't make it any more, lol! I'm thinking of starting mine by just buying an action alone from Brownells and starting from there. At least I won't have anything to throw away or try to sell.

I bought the first M&P 15-22 I saw and I absolutely love that thing! Not one malfunction yet. I find myself carrying it around the place just in case I get the opportunity to shoot it! Never done that with any of my other guns. Just got in 3 extra mags from Smith, at $20 each they are the bargain of the decade!

Ruger just announced the SR22 which is an AR lookalike (almost). Built on the 10/22 action and uses standard 10/22 mags. Retail is a little high $600+ but who pays retail? Info should be up on their website.

FWIW

Richard

Oh I just have to have one of these :D

I'm thinking of building a 10/22 as well. I built one for my son using a full gun, only thing left is the action. Has an Alumalite barrel and I love the weight, but we went through 16 kinds of .22 ammo before finding one that would shoot one hole. Turns out it was an old box of Eley Practice and they don't make it any more, lol! I'm thinking of starting mine by just buying an action alone from Brownells and starting from there. At least I won't have anything to throw away or try to sell.

I bought the first M&P 15-22 I saw and I absolutely love that thing! Not one malfunction yet. I find myself carrying it around the place just in case I get the opportunity to shoot it! Never done that with any of my other guns. Just got in 3 extra mags from Smith, at $20 each they are the bargain of the decade!

My next build will be on an MOA action from Brownells. I started with a complete gun so I could learn on it, but now I don't see any reason to waste time/money dealing with the stuff you won't use.

Here's the barrel I used on mine...initial results have been outstanding....I don't doubt the claims of .25" at 50yds at all. I believe Lothar Walther is making the blank that they hand lap, chamber etc, etc. They'll do different color combos as well. I went for a black sleeve and silver ends.

http://www.rimfiretechnologies.com/Product...ductCode=QRB002

This is one topic where I can crush ALL of you. My 10/22 has won the STC multiple times. Of course, I bought it from Brian ....... :cheers:

Cheater!!!

I have a 10/22 with a barracuda stock! It was an impulse buy to say the least. I put a 60 dollar red dot on it that has four site settings. It's a GREAT turtle slayer. That's about all the action is gets...

Preston

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I had a conversation quite a few years ago, about buying used guns and trying to customize them, vs going ahead and spending the money to buy the custom or semi-custom I wanted to begin with. This prompted me to go ahead and pay the $875 at the time for the lightweight Volquarzen custom, and mount a Weaver V16 scope. It was the best move I could have ever made. The gun came perfect strait from the box, 100% reliable and groups better than either my Kimber or my Anchutz. It's probably got 200K rounds through it now, and even with all the new and innovative stuff that's come on the market since then, I've never had any desire to change anything on it.

2697411913_a405b46e62_b.jpg