Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

october is pretty much the last month isnt it

Field

I am in the same boat. All rev'ed up with no place to go.

Seriously though, I have a plan for the winter. I am joining a range that I can shoot anyway I want-I can set up target stands, barricades, movement, etc, as long as no one else is on the range. Yes, it might be cold, but we do get a few days in the winter that it isn't unbearable to be outside. I have a local IDPA match every Tuesday which I will be a regular attendee just to keep in the shooting frame of mind. There is a club not too far away that has an indoor USPSA match two times a month on Fridays, so I will be going there as well. I will be loading all my brass, looking for used gear, and dry firing, dry firing, dry firing. Practice reloads and draws. And when February/March rolls around, I will be ready and looking forward to the season.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in the same boat. All rev'ed up with no place to go.

Seriously though, I have a plan for the winter. I am joining a range that I can shoot anyway I want-I can set up target stands, barricades, movement, etc, as long as no one else is on the range. Yes, it might be cold, but we do get a few days in the winter that it isn't unbearable to be outside. I have a local IDPA match every Tuesday which I will be a regular attendee just to keep in the shooting frame of mind. There is a club not too far away that has an indoor USPSA match two times a month on Fridays, so I will be going there as well. I will be loading all my brass, looking for used gear, and dry firing, dry firing, dry firing. Practice reloads and draws. And when February/March rolls around, I will be ready and looking forward to the season.

You have Midwest that has a match every Saturday night in Canal Fulton also. They rotate from IDPA and USPSA every other week.

I agree with GrumpyOne, Florida is the shooters state. I moved here in April from Illinois and I get to shoot at least 3 weekends a month. Now that the weather is getting better, the matches will be so full, it will take longer to shoot. What a problem. Now I won't have to carry as much water and Gatorade in the cooler. Bshooter

I am from VT we shoot all winter. Come on over ski one day and shoot the next>

Randy

+1 .. ditch the skis in VT and come snowmobile with us Maine'ahs.. shoot all winter outside as well.

And after you visit my friends up in Maine and Vermont, head on down to Bah-ston to warm up!!!!!- Boston Urban Action Shooters Area 7.

We shoot on a nice heated indoor range November thru March. Here are pics to make you want to take the trip! See all the smiling faces??????

http://picasaweb.google.com/deehmah/Maiden...feat=directlink

I am from VT we shoot all winter. Come on over ski one day and shoot the next>

Randy

Or you can come to Colorado and shoot here. We ride the chairlifts and shoot some targets on the way up, as we ski down, we score and paste. It works pretty well. We also have some jumps where we shoot while airborne. We were going to have a jump where you did a switch cork 7 with a mute grab, but they decided it was too dangerous since you would be rotating a few times. :roflol:

Randy (from Vail)

Here in the Rockies we're already looking forward to our January 1st all steel match.

There will be snow on the ground. We'll dress up good. We'll pre-heat the winter trailer (a mobile home), and the ROs and shooters will take turns outside. No pasting or resetting though, so it's more of a fun shoot than anything else, to ring in the New Year. It'll feel like Vermont or Colorado, only without the x-ctry skis or chairlifts.

All winter means down here is that we won't be sweating profusely for a few months....Florida, the shooters state!

YEAH! It got down into the 60's a few nights this week in Tampa/St Pete! Can't wait til November/December for the GOOD shooting weather! Under 90!

Jeff

Hi Field,

If you get desparate and can make the drive, there are IPSC matches at Albany, OR (second Sat), Tri-County (third Sun) Sherwood, OR and Dundee, OR (fourth Sat). They all start at 0900 hours. Albany has sheds we stand in, which is nice when it is raining hard and more steel is used in place of paper.

My club here in great white north goes indoors in the winter to one of the local indoor ranges. Usually limited to 3 stages at the most and a more limited number of shooters (fist to sign-up get the 40 or so spots). The shoots are every 3 to 4 weeks.

If you are hard core there are a few clubs that continue to shoot outside in the winter in the snow and cold (extremely cold for many of you). I like the indoor range shoots myself.

Just 30 a year? Out of Charlotte, I can do 5 a month ( 1st Sat@SPSA, 2nd Sat@Rowan, 3rd Sat@LakeLure, 3rd Sun@CSOS, 4th Sat@Spartanburg) so thats 60 a year. If I wanted to mix disciplines, most of those ranges run USPSA, IDPA, SASS, and Steel so I probably could get in 2 shoots a weekend. The summers are hot and the winters cool, but we usually only cancel matches for heavy freezing rain.

SWMBO'd says that I am lucky she lets me get 4 a month when the grass is cut regularly! LOL!

You could just relocate to Phoenix and shoot 30 matches a month year round if you have the ammo budget and time :)

your serious...?

Yes, he is.

I've heard of people taking shootin' vacations to Phoenix/Mesa and vicinity. Two weeks, 8 to 10 matches, a tour of Dillon Precision and Shooter's World. What more could you ask for?

my range will be closed for a few months and it will be hard to drive anywhere and wtf am i going to do other than be bored.

Do you reload yet?? Sounds like a perfect time to tackle getting set-up to reload! : )

Yes, he is.

I've heard of people taking shootin' vacations to Phoenix/Mesa and vicinity. Two weeks, 8 to 10 matches, a tour of Dillon Precision and Shooter's World. What more could you ask for?

Details!!! I want details!!

That sounds like an excellent vacation.

October to March is the best time to gain ground on your competition.

Spoken like a true champion. Jake! :cheers:

There is a time and a season for everything. The "off" season is no time to take off. Dry fire, air soft, anything you can. There was this "T" shirt that said "If you aren't practicing, somewhere, someone is.....and when you meet him, he will win".

There is the match season. And there is the practice season.

The weather is not an excuse. It is only a factor. I practice with my gun belt strapped on on over my Carhartt coveralls wearing my Elmer Fudd hat. I love it when I go to a match and its cold. Whiners seldom win.

For me, My season pretty much ended last month and October is the start of a different kind of season.. Duck season.. and Oct 24th till the end of January, I'll be applying all the shotgunning I've been doing all season towards actually getting more than steel and clay targets.. :) It also gives me a break from the constant need to better myself and just relax in the duck blind and enjoy nature.. even if it likely will be raining, foggy, or windy or quite possibly all three.

October is pretty much the end of the season. Sometimes they have a November match - but it can be rather miserable depending on the weather.

I run an indoor match. We shoot all year. Any indoor shoots in your area? (IDPA in particular lends itself well to indoors - though USPSA is also possible).

Having lived in the DC area (to include Arlington), I think it's crazy they don't run matches all year round. I got to New Mexico and they run the Albuquerque matches unless it's just crazy, crazy weather, and it gets as cold, or colder in AQ than it does DC (5,500ft altitude does that).

I just hear Fredericksburg is going to have matches all year now....a good thing. R,

Ya, didn't get that either... Then it dawned on me that the off season just happened to coincide with football season.

I would make Jeff (Fredricksburg) run matches all year long too. He has to put he HD away for that season anyway.