Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

october is pretty much the last month isnt it

Field

i am kind of depressed. i got into doing ipsc for a few months now and once ive kind of got my ducks in a row and starting to do good and im finding different matches to go to and ive spent money on a bunch of different things the season is going to be over, its going to be really cold and snowy where i live, my range will be closed for a few months and it will be hard to drive anywhere and wtf am i going to do other than be bored.

then i was going to go to a match in bremmerton, WA on saturday but then my boss took a crap on my plans and said i have to hang around for inventory. my job isnt even fun. i feel like i need to go places and kind of have something to show for the money and the practicing and stuff. im irritated.

Edited by Field

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am kind of depressed. i got into doing ipsc for a few months now and once ive kind of got my ducks in a row and starting to do good and im finding different matches to go to and ive spent money on a bunch of different things the season is going to be over, its going to be really cold and snowy where i live, my range will be closed for a few months and it will be hard to drive anywhere and wtf am i going to do other than be bored.

Dryfire. Be the best with your equipment come spring!

October is pretty much the end of the season. Sometimes they have a November match - but it can be rather miserable depending on the weather.

I run an indoor match. We shoot all year. Any indoor shoots in your area? (IDPA in particular lends itself well to indoors - though USPSA is also possible).

Here in Colorado we shoots year-round. In the Winter months, the weather can get pretty cold but that doesn't deter most shooters from coming out and having fun. It is a whole different experience when you have to shoot with five layers of clothes on and you can't even feel the trigger reset because the tip of your fingers is numb... :huh:

For those places where they put the matches on standby for the Winter season, you can always (as it had been already mentioned) dry-fire, do some airsoft, or just reload 20 to 30 thousand rounds of ammo so that you don't have to worry about reloading next season.

Not really. October only means that there's a slight chance of rain at matches for the next few months :P

Yer crewl, H., but it's true, though.

Definitely - dryfire, airsoft, reload. Find an indoor range and get on their good side - you might even start an indoor league.

then i was going to go to a match in bremmerton, WA on saturday but then my boss took a crap on my plans and said i have to hang around for inventory. my job isnt even fun. i feel like i need to go places and kind of have something to show for the money and the practicing and stuff. im irritated.

Invest in a good timer and training material for the winter months. Live fire can be viewed as confirming what you have practiced in dry fire/airsoft. And dont forget to make it to an indoor range because 100% airsoft/dry fire has it's own disadvantages. My 2 cents :rolleyes:

but yeah i think a timer would be a good thing to get. when i am looking for a chrono/timer or whatever, what exaCTLY is it called? for my search and buy purposes

Edited by Field

one thing though when you guys talk about dryfire, the firing pin on my gun will only go off once and then i need to rack the slide again, it makes dry fire kind of annoying

Most guns have that issue, unless you're shooting revo. You can still do multiple shot drills. You just pull the trigger on the first shot, then practice watching the front sight while you apply a little pressure to the trigger for the next shots. It's not so much about practicing accuracy and trigger control, but it does wonders for gun handling skills. Practicing draws, reloads, and transitions in dryfire can help tremendously.

I'll be spending all winter with Steve Anderson's book(again), Refinement and Repitition. You can find it in Brian's store, and it's an awesome tool for dryfire practice.

but yeah i think a timer would be a good thing to get. when i am looking for a chrono/timer or whatever, what exaCTLY is it called? for my search and buy purposes

I would get a simple PACT timer. However CED make a great little timer. Depends on how much $$$ you want to spend. But what ever you get, make sure you can set PAR time and has a delay for when the buzzer goes off.

October is pretty much the end of the season. Sometimes they have a November match - but it can be rather miserable depending on the weather.

I run an indoor match. We shoot all year. Any indoor shoots in your area? (IDPA in particular lends itself well to indoors - though USPSA is also possible).

Having lived in the DC area (to include Arlington), I think it's crazy they don't run matches all year round. I got to New Mexico and they run the Albuquerque matches unless it's just crazy, crazy weather, and it gets as cold, or colder in AQ than it does DC (5,500ft altitude does that).

I just hear Fredericksburg is going to have matches all year now....a good thing. R,

This is how I feel in June as that is the end of our season. I missed the first match of the season locally (last Saturday)and haven't been able to get out to Norco, or Pala yet this year. Dryfire is a really smart thing though. It gets you really tuned to the buzzer/beep. It is a cool and effective way to sharpen your draws and reloads. You can put on your iPod and rock out while practicing movement, transitions, heck everything really. when you get a rare clear day, go to the range and group at distances to get a feel for where you need to hold for what size target to simulate range, and dryfire accordingly.

I'm learning that there is a whole world to the dryfire tool. Seems small at first, but is really limited to your imagination.

Have fun, and don't stress.

Sure miss the Kitsap Peninsula. I used to live in Port Orchard for a while. Really my favorite place on earth.

JZ

We here on the left coast of cali, shoot year round, tho as i get older i tend to pass on runnin thru the mud, ifthere isnt anything up near you forthe winter, think about traveling further to find a match, wasnt so long ago I was shooting 9 matches a month all over northern cali/oregon/nevada/arizona, depends on how bad you want to do it....

on dry-firing being 'boring' or only being able to pull the trigger once....hey this game is pretty much 90 percent mental, work on that game by visualization, and lots of dry-firing practice, you think the top shooters just happened over nite??? uh uh....nope, ask any of them and they will tell you there is lots and lots of practice involved and not so much concentration of live fire, I learned later in life you dont need to be knee-deep in brass to get better, work on the mental game and muscle memory in your living room w/ dry-fire practice and not spend a nickle on ammo!!!!!!