Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
reichebrown

Open Glock kit from Jager?

Hello: I am kinda working on one right now. It has a Lone Wolf barrel, JPoint 8moa, 13lb ISMI recoil spring and I am trying 2 different comps. One is the Jager and the other is a Lone Wolf for major loads. I have the major loads worked out but I am stuill working on the minor/steel loads. I am also trying steel and tungsten guide rods and different magwells. I am just trying to get a balance I like since I am new to shooting an Open pistol. Thanks, Eric

choice of:KKM, Lone Wolf or Jager

not sure of the # recoil spring. All of the info is at the link in the OP

If you are using this kit as a conversion to go "quickly" from limited to open, its fairly worthless in that it doesn't come with an extra slide. The jpoint optic is slide mounted, so if you don't have a separate slide, you would have to knock the sites off your limited gun and screw on the jpoint. then you'd have to sight it in every time you switched back. This would not be the easiest thing to do at a GSSF match or any other match for that matter.

I am currently switching over from Production to Open with the Jager kit w/ Lone Wolf barrel. I had reservations moving to a dot, but the JPoint rests low enough on the slide that the conversion was painless. While I was waiting for components to load major rounds, I shot several matches with my Production ammo with great results. It is by far the least expensive way to get into Open without making perminant modifications to your Glock.

Although I do not recall the weight of the recoil spring, I would encourage you to give Billy Lester (the El Prez of the company) at 516-859-2508.

Hello: I am kinda working on one right now. It has a Lone Wolf barrel, JPoint 8moa, 13lb ISMI recoil spring and I am trying 2 different comps. One is the Jager and the other is a Lone Wolf for major loads. I have the major loads worked out but I am stuill working on the minor/steel loads. I am also trying steel and tungsten guide rods and different magwells. I am just trying to get a balance I like since I am new to shooting an Open pistol. Thanks, Eric

Eric, How has this worked out for you? I am looking to do a G17 open gun (9 minor) this winter.Your experience with this kit and which components (barrel, comp. springs etc) would be really helpful. Any regrets ? All info greatly appreciated.

I am going to ask the other members who have gone this route their experiences as well.

Thanks

Edited by pgh george

I am currently switching over from Production to Open with the Jager kit w/ Lone Wolf barrel. I had reservations moving to a dot, but the JPoint rests low enough on the slide that the conversion was painless. While I was waiting for components to load major rounds, I shot several matches with my Production ammo with great results. It is by far the least expensive way to get into Open without making perminant modifications to your Glock.

Although I do not recall the weight of the recoil spring, I would encourage you to give Billy Lester (the El Prez of the company) at 516-859-2508.

How has this kit worked out for you ?

Based on your experience with this - what recommendations could you make for a G17 9 minor build.

I am going to build one over the winter.

Thanks

The kit has worked very well...but you need to tweak the recoil spring and striker springs to make a Jager'd Glock run with 130pf ammo. The slide needs to overcome the weight of the recoil spring while exhausting alot of the gas through the comp, so the lighter the better. What you can/will run into is that the stock striker spring can overpower the slide and keep it out of battery. About 30 minutes at the range will be all the time you need to get it tuned right.

Since you will be needing a reduced power striker spring, if you are using a stock striker I would STRONGLY recommend either Winchester or Fed pistol primers if you can get your hands on them for minor.

Oh, and NEVER use Fed small pistol primers for 9mm major. I made that mistake and ruined a perfectly good striker after piercing primers ;)

**ETA**

Moved this thread to the Jager vendor tent for better continuity of the search function.

I have a couple of questions myself. Are the comps held in place by set screw(s)? Are the JPoints robust enough to stand up to the abuse of reciprocating with the slide?

I think it would be a cheap way into Open. All you would need is a magwell, mag base extensions, and you are ready to rock.

I have a couple of questions myself. Are the comps held in place by set screw(s)? Are the JPoints robust enough to stand up to the abuse of reciprocating with the slide?

I think it would be a cheap way into Open. All you would need is a magwell, mag base extensions, and you are ready to rock.

They're screwed on and held in place with red loc-tite and a set screw. Can't vouch for the JPoint but my Burris FastFire works nicely. I mounted mine with the Springer Precisions dot mount. Fantastic piece.

edited to ad link

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=87829

Jim

Edited by Jman

After 8000 rounds of major and 2000 rounds of minor, the comp has withstood the strain of use without any signs of being abused. Although you don't really need a magwell, after a fair amount of practice I got used to one and now enjoy the Dawson Ice Heavy magwell.

As for basepads, I would recommend the Taylor Freelance +10 pads. You can actually load up 28rds in a stock 9mm mag, and with a few modifications get 29.

The Jager barrel has been discontinued - these were manufactured by Storm Lake and there just wasn't enough demand. Both the Lone Wolf and KKM are great barrels. Some prefer the KKM since they are button rifled instead of broach cut, but the Lone Wolf barrels have a smooth bore and are the top seller.

The kits are now offered with the C-More STS instead of the JPoint.

Thanks, jager

Having shot your setup with both the JPoint and the STS, I cannot say enough good things about the STS. It is a much better optic than the JPoint. Not only do I have control over the dot brightness, but the dot itself is more clear, as is the lens.

Plus, being able to replace the battery without taking the optic off of the gun is a bonus.

Will these only fit on a G17 or can you get an option with a G34?

ETA: will the same kit be suitable for both Major and minor PFs? This seems like a fun project idea and a cheap way to play around with Open class.

Edited by Corey

ETA: will the same kit be suitable for both Major and minor PFs? This seems like a fun project idea and a cheap way to play around with Open class.

I can make the kits up for G17, G19, G22, G23, G34 and G35 - I've had orders for each. I do ask for an additional charge of $12.00 to cover special ordering of the threaded barrels in G19, G23, G34 and G35 since I don't stock these. Major or Minor will work, but major makes the comp (any comp) function better.

Thanks, jager

I can make the kits up for G17, G19, G22, G23, G34 and G35 - I've had orders for each. I do ask for an additional charge of $12.00 to cover special ordering of the threaded barrels in G19, G23, G34 and G35 since I don't stock these. Major or Minor will work, but major makes the comp (any comp) function better.

Thanks, jager

Thanks for the info, very intriguing... :)

Good morning, all,

I am contemplating shooting open class this year or next, and Jager's set up seems the best bang for the buck. What do you folks recommend for an 9mm open Glock to start with....

Glock 17

Glock 34

And if you would please, the reasons for your choice.

Thanks in advance for your time and interest.

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob,

I would recommend the G17 for faster cycling and quicker handling. Good Luck!

Rob, I would go with the G17. The Jager comp will do its job, and you want the slide to cycle as fast as it can. The G17 cycles faster than the G34 plan and simple.

Furthermore, the G34 will add more weight...a good thing for Production, but a bad thing for Open. Currently I am shooting with the Jager kit on a G17 platform with very good results.

In the end, if you do your job (training, preparation, correct ammo) the Jager kit will certainly take care of its end.

Looking to go with the G17 kit. Any changes needed to the ejector when running major?

Jim

No changes needed to the ejector, just one more reason to go with the slide ride optic in addition to better accuracy.