Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My lazy postal carrier

DarthMuffin

I just got a "sorry, we couldn't deliver this, you can pick it up at the PO tomorrow" note from the USPS. It says they came by at 8AM and nobody answered, which is BS. My wife works from home with her back to a window literally 2 feet from the door all day. Nobody was here.

They're just lazy and don't want to deliver my 4 cases of MG bullets (went in on a bulk order with some friends).

Of course their office is "conveniently" open from 8-5, the same hours I work. Grrr.

I think I'll register a complain with the postmaster when I go.

Good luck with that. My mail lady did not bring mine to the house either. When I asked at the PO I was told if the carrier thinks it is to heavy for safety they are perfectly within their rights to leave a note. It sounds like they had yours if you had been there to lift them. Mine never left the PO at all. Now we have a new mailMAN and my last case was on the porch . :cheers:

Wound up workin a deal with my guy. I gave him a heads up before hand and agreed to help him unload them if he would back up the little truck to the door. I damn near laughed my ass off when the door bell rang and there in my driveway was a little mail truck with its front wheels damn near off the ground. Apparently 9 cases of bullets will do that.

Edited by smokshwn

I once had the carrier leave a box of 4K 115gr JHPs on TOP of my mailbox. Luckily I bought a pretty stout unit, with a strong arm, and set it in concrete or it would have crashed. I would have been hot to come home and find my driveway covered with thousands of bullets. I did call and speak to the supervisor...never happened again. R,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when a person (or company) pays the post office to deliver an item isn't this a contractual agreement wherein the Postal Service agrees to deliver the item to the address provided in exchange for legal tender?

The shipper didn't pay full price to have the item delivered to the destination town Post Office, but rather to a specific address - and the Postal Service agreed to deliver the item to the specific address and accepted funds to complete this task. Seems to be a pretty clear case of breach of contract on the part of the Postal Service.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when a person (or company) pays the post office to deliver an item isn't this a contractual agreement wherein the Postal Service agrees to deliver the item to the address provided in exchange for legal tender?

The shipper didn't pay full price to have the item delivered to the destination town Post Office, but rather to a specific address - and the Postal Service agreed to deliver the item to the specific address and accepted funds to complete this task. Seems to be a pretty clear case of breach of contract on the part of the Postal Service.

Plus, we are still well within the poundage they put on the flat rate boxes.

Plus, we are still well within the poundage they put on the flat rate boxes.

Yup, and that's exactly the angle I'll approach it with when I speak to them tomorrow morning. I didn't get what I paid for. If they complain that the mailman thought they were too heavy, well, *they* made the rules and set the weight limits.

I'm not cruel though, I'd certainly help unload if I were here. If he'd have bothered to ring the doorbell my wife would have met him at the curb with our hand truck -- even she can manage to wheel that into the garage.

I used to have a great fellow who delivered my mail and bullets. Lately the USPS changes my carrier as fast as I change my underwear. They tried the "too heavy" routine and leaving a notice. I called the postmaster who agreed that the postage was paid for delivery to my door step. The Post Office has even had a second carrier do a special delivery of my bullets on the same day my wimpy carrier delivered my regular mail. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. If you do have to go to the Post Office at any time ask for a partial refund of the shipping charges since you paid for delivery to your door. When the clerk tells you no ask for a supervisor. If he/she says no ask to speak to his/her supervisor and so on. "Once around and then up."

Adios,

Pat

I had a conversation with my PO and the supervisor said they are obligated to deliver as long as the weight is not over the limit. Any other crap you hear id BS, go over their heads.

They try and pull that shit and cover for one another. I have a great guy who puts them in a platic container and wheels them up to the door.

My mail lady is nice. You can tell she was a real looker in her youth and isn't so bad now in her early 60s. One afternoon I saw her struggling with a box of my lead from the back of her truck. I ran out and told her that I would get it and that if these things are too heavy for her, to let me know, and I would drive over and pick them up. Lead is heavy. I know we paid to have them shipped, but man I would hate to have that nice lady who is just a trooper wreck her back for my bullets. Now if she was a healthy young guy like the UPS and FedEx folks usually are then I'd feel differently.

Just another angle, JimmyZip.

Same thing here, my wife does daycare out of our home and is here all the time. Last batch, they left other packages on the steps and and a note saying no one was home. :surprise: I was pretty nice to the lady at the PO and told here to thank my carrier for making HER carry them out to me. They just piss me off. If you can't do your job, don't do it. Rant off.

I live out in the sticks, and the mail delivery folks are subcontractors, not Post Office employees. There's no "must be able to lift XX lbs." in their required KSAs. Most of them are retirees. If I get anything heavier than a Brownell's catalog, I have to pick it up from the post office.

My mail carrier gets somebody to put the box on the truck and she will knock on my door. If I am home, I can go to the truck and get the box. If I am not, she just takes it back to the post office with her. I don't like it but I do not complain. She's a little old lady.

Most of the time the USPS, UPS, and FedEx carriers are pretty good, although they all seem to have decided to deliver to our office during the lunch hour. Even so, one of us is almost always there when they come. But once in a while, we get a package notice left when there was someone there, so clearly there are cases where they don't want to be bothered.

I just happened to go out the door one day when a substitute mail man was coming up to the door. He handed me the mail and right there in with the rest was a missed delivery package notice. I asked him where it was and he said it was at the post office, they missed delivering it earlier but forgot to leave the notice. He had "liar" written all over his face and I told him so.

Fortunately the PO is close by so I took a hand truck and picked up the package - I already knew what it was - two cases of 180's from MG. I would have waited until the next day for delivery, but it was Friday and I wanted them.

Same problem here. Post office left note on the door at 8:40am. Went to the post office after work was told that the package is insured and requires a signature. So from now on I will sign the note with instructions to leave at the back door and that seemed to be ok with the postal clerk.

Next time should be interesting.

They pulled that pick it up at the PO for the last time! A friend that is mail man said call them and tell them you want it delivered to your house period. If a delivery is to heavy for a paticular carrier another energetic carrier will deliver the package for them.

As far as demanding the delivery of a box that I have already paid the postage to be delivered to me, I wouldn't have a big problem going to my Post Office to pick up the package. It's the twenty to thirty minute wait in line to get it :angry2: and then the attitude of the clerk behind the counter because he/she had to get the box on a cart and roll it out to me. :angry2: I've been through all of this so I've just started demanding the service they advertise and have been paid for.

CYa,

Pat