Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USING 45 CAL. MAGS FOR 40 CAL. GUN

I have an 8 round cobra mag and a Wilson combat 8 round mag that are for a 45. I can easily fit 9 40 cal rounds in each and they seem to fit well. I have ordered a STI Trojan 40 cal and am wondering if there is a chance they are compatable?

Do a search, there are lots of threads on this here on the forums. In my experience, I can get the Wilson 47D to run 100% with 8 rounds of .40 in them, but about 33% with 9. The 47NX is designed for .40, so unless you have a lot of .45 mags already...

I have seen a few people try it, not sure how it turned out. Let me know how it goes I have wondered the same thing. I am getting the parts together for a new 40ss build. I was thinking of using 10mm mags for long loaded ammo.

Mike

I am picking my gun up tomorrow and will let you know.

From my experience and what I have seen, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. G Man Bart has written a few posts on this if I remember correctly and seems to know the most in this area. Much of it seems to revolve around what your OAL is. Longer loads seem to work better. I have tried it to no avail with standard loads but many have report better results with longer OAL. Let me know how she turns out. Have a lot of 45 mags setting around and will be getting a good Dillion soon so all I need is a good recipe.

Do a search, there are lots of threads on this here on the forums. In my experience, I can get the Wilson 47D to run 100% with 8 rounds of .40 in them, but about 33% with 9. The 47NX is designed for .40, so unless you have a lot of .45 mags already...

That splains a lot Lucy. I have a couple of 10mm Colts that I may be blaming the gun when the problem may be the stuffed mags....

Hello: I don't own any 40 mags at all for my 40 single stack. I use 45 mags all the time in the 40 Kimber and the 40 single stack I built. I like the Metalform mags with the round top followers. I had some problems with the some of the followers catching the slide stop on some of the mags. Try different mags to see what works for you. Thanks, Eric