Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Post pics of your target stands and target set here

Flyin40

First I want to say that Admin from Aaps did all the leg work. The pics I'm posting is from his work and ideas. He told me to go ahead and use anything I want from the website before it shuts down but just wanted to give him the credit for the work.

Here are some ideas. If you make up your own stands post them up so others can have an idea how to get started.

I'll try to get some pics of my setup also. I just use Pvc T's, pvc pipe and regular target sticks. I then staple a towel on the backside to stop the pellets and catch them.

Flyin

post-5017-1253980085_thumb.jpg

post-5017-1253980101_thumb.jpg

post-5017-1253980112_thumb.jpg

post-5017-1253980129_thumb.jpg

post-5017-1253980206_thumb.jpg

post-5017-1253980222_thumb.jpg

post-5017-1253980237_thumb.jpg

post-5017-1253980255_thumb.jpg

post-5017-1253980290_thumb.jpg

post-5017-1253980306_thumb.jpg

For a backstop, I use a couple of 9'x12' canvas tarps. Terrific, easy to work with, looks good, and handy to have for other chores around the house.

Here's a way to hold up your tarp, if you need quick up/down, and don't want any hooks or lines run.

I got the idea when we were using the canvas tarp while doing some painting in the house.

tarpprops.jpg66172.gif

Harbor Freight 2-in-1 Support/Cargo Bar (66172)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=66172

You can often find these on sale for $7.99 each.

For target stands, I use 9" & 18" sections of 3/4" PVC, with couplers, and tees. I've used these for years at the range with "real" guns.

You can break them down and fit a dozen full-sized target holders in a medium duffel bag. They can be slapped together like an Tinkertoys, to make a large variety of sizes/shapes.

For targets, I tape cardboard to my PVC frames. Then, I use glue-sticks to plaster paper targets to the cardboard. When the paper is shot-up enough, I slap a new sheet right over the last one.

Pic from previous Postal Match:

aapsairsoft0609.jpg

Yes, I have to sweep up after shooting. I use bio-degradeable BBs. The ones that get into the corners of the garage (out out into the yard/driveway) will disappear eventually. :lol:

Edited by Anon

For target stands, I use 9" & 18" sections of 3/4" PVC, with couplers, and tees. I've used these for years at the range with "real" guns.

You can break them down and fit a dozen full-sized target holders in a medium duffel bag. They can be slapped together like an Tinkertoys, to make a large variety of sizes/shapes.

For targets, I tape cardboard to my PVC frames. Then, I use glue-sticks to plaster paper targets to the cardboard. When the paper is shot-up enough, I slap a new sheet right over the last one.

Pic from previous Postal Match:

aapsairsoft0609.jpg

Yes, I have to sweep up after shooting. I use bio-degradeable BBs. The ones that get into the corners of the garage (out out into the yard/driveway) will disappear eventually. :lol:

I pretty much do the same as you but just a little different. I'll post up mine next week after the match this weekend.

Flyin

Edited by Flyin40

can you vacuum those bbs?

Yes, but I'd hate to chase them around with a vacuum.

They are small and light enogh that even a normal household vac would pick them up off flat surfaces or deep carpet.

Lee, if you're asking about my pic.... no, those aren't screens.

In fact, they're not even poppers. In my pic, the black areas are spray-painted boxes, and the "poppers" are paper cutouts, glued to the boxes.

This was my setup before I got my real poppers.

Lee, if you're asking about my pic.... no, those aren't screens.

In fact, they're not even poppers. In my pic, the black areas are spray-painted boxes, and the "poppers" are paper cutouts, glued to the boxes.

This was my setup before I got my real poppers.

Gotcha. In Flyin's 2nd picture he shows fiberglass screen. So when I saw yours I guess I saw screen instead of a painted black box. I'm still curious as to what Flyin does with it though.

..... I'm still curious as to what Flyin does with it though.....

Thise pics (like several of mine) are reposts of information at the aaps-federation.org forum. AAPS is closing down, so we're trying to archive the information that was there, so others can enjoy it.

Here is the original post, with the deal on the pic you refer to:

Originally posted by admin

[br]..... here are some pictures along with other information about target systems we've used for practice and competition. AAPS only specifies the targets to use, not the means by which they are mounted. The links below are to pictures of various systems arranged from simple to complex.

The first pic is for a simple target backstop consisting of a wood frame covered with foamcore on the front and fiberglass screen on the back. Lots of paper targets can be taped to the front and the combination of foamcore and screening traps the BBs, making cleanup easy. We've used this system for practice as well as informal competitions. The fixed wood frame is not convenient for storing or transporting the backstop but it is very easy to change targets and it stops BBs very effectively. The picture also shows the "no shoot" target holder we built into this system to increase the shooting challenges we could design. Targets are attached to the foamcore using Scotch "poster tape", which contains an adhesive like the one used in "sticky notes". This makes it quick and easy to change targets.

{See the first pic Flyin40 posted above}

The second target system is an easily constructed BB trap utilizing a "ballistic curtain" consisting of fiberglass screen or a terrycloth towel built into a cardboard box. Although crude, this system is very effective for displaying targets and trapping BBs. Boxes of different sizes can be used and they can be placed on the tops of tables, bar stools, or just about any other support.

{See the second pic Flyin40 posted above}

The third link is for an interesting action target based on a commercial product from Stunt Studios (purchased from www.airgundepot.com). The system consists of a motorized cart that moves a target back and forth within a 5 foot track. The cart automatically changes directions at each end of the track. We modified the original design to use an AAPS target and inserted a screw to keep the target from falling over (the original design was a moving knock-down target). The basic target is only $20 and the modifications add only another five dollars or so. This is a fun and challenging target.

{See the third pic Flyin40 posted above}

The fourth and subsequent links are to images that show prototypes of the modular system being developed for AAPS. We've provided enough information for you to make your own. The AAPS modular target system is designed for building a wide variety of target challenges from a common set of "parts". The parts can be quickly interchanged to create an almost unlimited number of different target configurations. The basic construction materials consist of 1.25" PVC pipe and corresponding fittings. Backstops can be made of 1/8" masonite, although ours use 1/4" PVC foam. The following link shows a prototype popper unit. The metal popper plates can be ordered from www.evike.com.

{See the fourth pic Flyin40 posted above}

The fifth link shows a 5-position popper holder built from 5 popper units, a base unit, and a 5-position popper bar.

{See the fifth pic Flyin40 posted above}

The sixth link is to a photo of the standard target holder. This target system will hold one or two standard targets and one no-shoot target. Up to three target holders can be mounted on a single post/base combination.

{See the sixth pic Flyin40 posted above}

The seventh link shows pictures of the 45º target holder. This is the same system as the one above, but mounted on a 45º base. This type of target is used behind various barriers where the shooter is firing down at the target.

{See the seventh pic Flyin40 posted above}

The eighth link displays a photo of a dropping target. The system uses the same base and post of the standard target system, but adds a special dropping target unit. The first shot on the target will release it. The challenge is to get your second shot into the target before it hits the bottom.

{See the eigth pic Flyin40 posted above}

His other two pics were from different threads

Edited by Anon

Is there a regulation height for the legs on a plate rack?

Other than ease of shipping in the box from a target company, is there any advantage to using short 1' pieces of PVC pipe, with the plastic connectors, over just using a 3' or 4' length of solid PVC? Granted that you don't need to break it down for shipment in a duffel bag or whatnot. I mean is there any reason, as far as structural stability goes, you couldn't just use the longer pieces?

Regulation? Who's regulating?

I think using 1ft sections of pvc with couplers is a good idea. It would cost a little more to have a bunch of couplers, but they're not expensive.

With a bunch of 1 ft sections you could make yourself a variety of heights for targets and easily adjust or pack them up and take them with you.

Can you find a place that sells 1 1/4" PVC in 1 foot sections?

SDC11093.jpg

You guys can feel free to browse around my photobucket - search "the4thpower3" to see my targets and guns.

Edited by the4thpower3

I got this reply to that question from Phil Burt (the "B" in BAM targets - which, for those who've always wondered, stands for Burt and Martin):

The one foot pipe is merely for shipping reasons. Use solid 2, 3, 4, or 5 foot sections for your stands. For singles you can go up to 5 feet without to much flex or wobble. If you look at my videoes I use solid pipe. The star is a little heavy for above 4 feet.

• 1 month later...
what is the idea behind the targets sloped backwards(sloped away from the shooter rather than vertical)?

This months postal match will be using it. 45degree stands are used in Uspsa but just not that often. Usually at matches when we use a wall we just put targets on 3ft sticks right up next to the wall your shooting at. The angle is tough. I wanted these at a 45degree and they are going to very close for a fun factor. It will make guys want to shoot the extremely fast but you have to make sure you see enough to still get your A-5pts because a C is only worth 3pts. So if your ripping across and just pulling the trigger you could drop some pts.

Flyin

• 2 months later...
what is the idea behind the targets sloped backwards(sloped away from the shooter rather than vertical)?

This months postal match will be using it. 45degree stands are used in Uspsa but just not that often. Usually at matches when we use a wall we just put targets on 3ft sticks right up next to the wall your shooting at. The angle is tough. I wanted these at a 45degree and they are going to very close for a fun factor. It will make guys want to shoot the extremely fast but you have to make sure you see enough to still get your A-5pts because a C is only worth 3pts. So if your ripping across and just pulling the trigger you could drop some pts.

Flyin

Man, I wish I can start this airsoft training. The only thing is that they don't make a airsoft gun for my gun. (S&W M&P 9mmL) I have the Co2 version but it doesn't blow back and it doesn't work. When ever i try to insert a Co2 cartridge it just releases the gas into the air. :angry2: I just hope someone comes up with a blow back M&P model.

...but you have to make sure you see enough to still get your A-5pts because a C is only worth 3pts.

So is all airsoft scored Minor? :roflol:

Yep since the DVC isn't fulfilled. :roflol: Actually it probably should be subminor :surprise:

Flyin