Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How I Dryfire...2009 Edition

Micah

Right now I am in a very unique situation. Since early January 2010, we had a gun ban in effect til June 10 same year. I have been dry firing since then til now (5mos)for 1 hr ave almost daily but without live fire due to the ban. at the end of the ban Im really curious how my dry fire practice may impact on my live fire performance. For sure there will be a difference, but w/o live practice, will the improvement(s) be commensurate to the effort and time I had put up in the past months? Or would I been better off w/o it and just rested through out the ban period? None of my shooting buddies have done the same, so I cant compare/relate when the time to shoot comes.

What do you think? have you been in a similar situation?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hard to believe that it's been two years since I created this thread. People have asked me to do an update on the original video, and after finishing interim reports on my students today, I got to work.

The video below has 22 basic dryfire drills that I work on almost daily.This is just a primer...there are many other drills that one can do with a little running room and a few targets.

Enjoy :)

Nice video Micah, heard about it before - but just now watched B) . Most impressive :excl:

• 2 weeks later...

Right now I am in a very unique situation. Since early January 2010, we had a gun ban in effect til June 10 same year. I have been dry firing since then til now (5mos)for 1 hr ave almost daily but without live fire due to the ban. at the end of the ban Im really curious how my dry fire practice may impact on my live fire performance. For sure there will be a difference, but w/o live practice, will the improvement(s) be commensurate to the effort and time I had put up in the past months? Or would I been better off w/o it and just rested through out the ban period? None of my shooting buddies have done the same, so I cant compare/relate when the time to shoot comes.

What do you think? have you been in a similar situation?

Since the OPer wont answer my querry, I'll share my results to my dry efforts. My improvement was very good. The efforts and time I put on was worth it! Now I shoot my Glock 35 w/ lots of confidence in Std Div. Aside from me, nobody seriously uses a G35 in Std here in my place so Im sort of a sore thumb in the crowd of 1911/2011s and looked down as disadvantaged by my gear. And I love to prove them otherwise!

Edited by BoyGlock

Since the OPer wont answer my querry, I'll share my results to my dry efforts.

Sorry BoyGlock...I don't always check up on this thread, and apparently missed your prior post. Going forward, using the pm (private messenger) function on the forums is a much better way of getting in touch with someone directly.

To answer your question, skill sets such as reloads, transitions, footing, smoothness of shooting on the move, draws, weak/strong hand grip, etc can be practiced without the need for putting rounds down range. Dryfire is a phenomenal tool to make significant improvements in your shooting, but to reap the greatest gains needs to be supplemented with livefire. That being said, dryfire alone is infinitely better than letting your G35 sit in the safe for a year. Lanny Bassham, author of With Winning in Mind and gold medalist, spent an entire year practicing via dryfire alone and still won championships.

I'm glad to hear that you are shooting your Glock with confidence! You are leaving nothing on the table shooting a Glock...rather keeping money in your wallet ;)

Since the OPer wont answer my querry, I'll share my results to my dry efforts.

Sorry BoyGlock...I don't always check up on this thread, and apparently missed your prior post. Going forward, using the pm (private messenger) function on the forums is a much better way of getting in touch with someone directly.

To answer your question, skill sets such as reloads, transitions, footing, smoothness of shooting on the move, draws, weak/strong hand grip, etc can be practiced without the need for putting rounds down range. Dryfire is a phenomenal tool to make significant improvements in your shooting, but to reap the greatest gains needs to be supplemented with livefire. That being said, dryfire alone is infinitely better than letting your G35 sit in the safe for a year. Lanny Bassham, author of With Winning in Mind and gold medalist, spent an entire year practicing via dryfire alone and still won championships.

I'm glad to hear that you are shooting your Glock with confidence! You are leaving nothing on the table shooting a Glock...rather keeping money in your wallet ;)

Thanks Micah. Thats a great reinforcement. Ya, I've read a lot about Mr. Bassham's works and I study and apply a lot of his ideas. After that long dry fire "season" and afterwards some live fire practice, my match performance took a great leap forward, but I was not amazed by it as I was half expecting it and glad I was not disappointed. But it needed a lot of mental preparation to let all the skills flow out in the match. and a lot of the mental works were made w/ a lot of help from this great forum and its gracious host BE.

edited to add: the book With Winning In Mind by Mr. Bassham was a great help to my mental prep mentioned above. And still does up to this moment.

Edited by BoyGlock

• 2 weeks later...