Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Place To Live For Uspsa Shooting?

I used the search feature to see if this topic has already been posted, but didn't find anything.

I wanted people's opinions on where is the best place, in the US, to live for USPSA type shooting? I have heard that the Austin TX area is really good, but I know areas of FL also have alot of shooters. Anybody know what area has THE MOST league, club level, or larger shoots during any given year?

Maybe I can talk my wife into relocating :unsure:

I have never shot around the Austin area but I know there are 4 or 5 clubs right around the Houston area. Lots of clubs in TX. Austin is a good place to live but has the traffic of a much larger city... Texas also has No State Income Tax! Lots of gun friendly people here also. :D

I know there are many places around the country with alot of shooting but I would think it is hard to beat the Tampa area. I know it was a factor in me moving here.

We have 7 monthly matches within 2 hr drive, a "mini" match every Tues. and Fri. nights. And if you want to drive further the east coast and south Fl have a plenty of shooting also.

www.tbpc.org

Florida is starting to look pretty good. :P

Mid-Michigan is gread except for the weather. During the summer there is 1 IPSC match every weekend within 1.5 hour drive from me. If you want to shoot IDPA too, you can easily average 8 or more matches a month...all within a 2 hour drive.

Austin's not a bad spot (I live there), but even we ask "where would be the best place to live to shoot a lot?" (in fact, we asked that today on the way to a match).

We've got 3 IPSC matches a month within a 1 hour drive, 3 more within 2 hours, plus a 3-4 more steel and IDPA matches, but nothing weekly since the demise of Tuesday-night bowling pins.

We do shoot year-round, which is a big plus. AZ, FL and SoCal all have that going for them as well. VA might also be a good spot-- lots of good shooters at matches there, but I think AZ still wins, especially if you consider the facilities and talent density.

Mesa by far. Tues nite steel, 140-160 shooters .2 or 3 matches a week. Pima Pistol Club North of Tucson, is 1hr25min away. IPSC 1 and 3rd Sun. Steel 2nd. IDPA 4th, and if there is a 5th sun. in the month, we host the best 3-gun in the state. Some matches we have 75 shooters.Mesa has 2 gun 2nd Sat, high power of every kind, and as they said, The Best Of The Best live there.

Where else can you shot in shorts in Dec. TT

Hmm....Lots of good reply's, thanks. I guess I don't have it too bad here in northern IL. During the summer, I can go to 4 to 5 matches per month, and there is a Thursday night league only 15 minutes from my house. Still, the winters slow down WAY too much. AZ sounds pretty solid. Thanks for all the great info.

Boise Idaho?

Only matches 2 per month that I know of: Emmett & Nampa.

Nothing against the area. I grew up down there, have a ton of friends and family in the area and would move back in a heartbeat if I had a decent job offer down there but it wouldn't be for the matches.

Simply b/c of the winter weather, I'd pick Pheonix/Tempe. Spend $25, attend 4 (I think) "combat" matches at Rio Solado and get a key to the target shed. Its a beautiful thing. The summers are a mutha...... though.

Because I'm partial to the midwest, there are two very good choices. First, I'd pick Louisville, KY. There is a match within 1 hr's drive nearly every weekend, and on some matches you can shoot two. Second, Columbus, OH. Again, you are within spitting distance of several high quality matches (just ask Flex, Steve Anderson or BrianH, among others).

I got my start in practical shooting in Houston. That place is awesome. During the summer, you really can shoot 3-4 matches a week. Yes, per week. Yes, they don't have state income tax. But if you are seriously considering moving, and I'm sorry if this sounds corny, check on what is available for homeowners insurance, and if you can get it, what the cost is. This may sound trivial to many, especially if you don't live there, but it is a harsh reality for some (perhaps not all) who live there, especially in the Houston area.

Want to shoot with the best of the best? Area 8. Phil Strader & TJ live in VA as does revolver guru Rudy Waldinger and J.J. Racaza lives (I believe) in PA or someplace nearby. We also HAD forum member & Production powerhouse Eric Lund until last year & rising Junior star BJ Norris is here too. CA may have more people but as a percentage of active shooters, I think you might find more GMs & Ms around here. Then again, I am biased & based in Area 8.

redmecury2 is right. I just got scalped by TGO on Sunday. :wacko:

I have to agree with the comments about Phoenix/Mesa. We've got Dillon. We've got Area 2. We've got Mystery Mountain 3 Gun. We've got Don Golembieski and Accuracy Speaks. We've got a host of GMs including TGO, Brian, our gracious host, Matt Burkett, and many others. We've got the fabulous Pima pistol club an 1+ hour away to the south. We've got Rio Salado and Cactus Combat League not to mention South Mountain. Gunsite is an hour and half to north. You can't do better than here!

I would have to say central Florida ( Orlando area ) . There is a match within 2 hrs. every Sat. and Sun., Our Orlando range has a 3 gun every 5th Sat., A couple of these ranges even have 3 gun matches every month. We have quite a few big shooters down here also, there's a monthly match at Frank Garcia's place and we have Armando Valdes, and Paul Whitacre just to name a couple and Chris Tilley along with a lot of other GM's always shoot our state, area, and Fl. open matches. We shoot year-round and it is very rare that I show up to a match that has fewer than 25-30 shooters. OH! There's also the fact that Fl. is a very Pro-gun state. Man, I love this place.

I agree with Enos. The Phoenix/Scottsdale areas is definetly the best place to live for IPSC shooting. The attendance to tuesday night steel amazes me.

I'll toss in another vote for the Phoenix area.

You are right about Tuesday Night Steel. 125+ shooters every week and usually its more like 140. A buddy recently described the match director as a "steel genius" and I think he is right.

The weekend matches are all pretty good too. In one weekend of the month you can shoot in the morning, if you play IDPA, USPSA in the afternoon, a .22 steel match Sunday, and then haul ass to South Mountain for an all shotgun match. That is just that one weekend. All the others have matches as well. It is great to be here!

-ld