Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who is still use 6" Limited Gun?

mjbine

The original question was who was shooting 6" guns. The top shooters shoot what they like, for sure. Us mortals shoot what works for us. The longer sight radius is a definate advantage to a far sighted, middle age shooter. Weight is a non issue, my 5" and 6" limited guns are within .3 of an ounce in weight, under 36 ounces for both of them. Personally, a heavy slide, heavy frame (Edge) is like shooting a brick to me. Slow and unwieldy. As for TJ going back to a 5" gun, didn't he have a bunch of problems at last year's Nationals with the 6"???

Hello: I do agree there are alot of other variables to the 5" vs 6" pistols. If there are alot of long precise shots then the advantage goes to the 6" for sure. If the shots are close and open I'm not sure if the 6" would be faster or not. It would depend on the skill level of the shooter etc. If the 6" is built light and you are using 165grain bullets to increase the slide cycle speed they would be very close. I see no real disadvantage to the 6" and that is way you see more of them showing up. For now I am still shooting a light 5" with a short dust cover but may go back to a lightened 6" soon :cheers: I just have built another one to try. As for the big guys shooting 6" pistols they could use a sling shot and beat most of us :roflol: Thanks, Eric

This makes me curious. (This is from someone who is having a 6" built, so this is not a mean post) I started a thread in the Nationals section mentioning an observation I made at the Nationals. All but one person on the Limited SS who was shooting a 2011 was shooting a 5"--and very plain, basic 5" guns at that. Voight shot a 6". Even TJ, who shot a 6" last year, was shooting a 5" this year. If it is so obviously better, why are the best shooters in the world not using them? It could be something as simple as their 6" was in the shop or something, but it could be something else as well. Oh well--I'll let you all know what I think after I get my 6" :)

6" guns aren't IPSC Standard legal. I know that has some bearing on some of the decisions.

I can still make my 50+ yard shots with a standard sized gun (at least I did this last weekend), but some folks need some extra length to perform well. Why do you think they sell so many of the little blue pills? If you need a little extra help to perform (or think you do) then you will pay what you need to to perform, and some times that is all that really matters.

I don't have aged eyes yet, but who knows, someday I might need that extra little boost and then I'll built some long ones.

I don't think its a matter of people still using 6" guns as much as the trend is really starting to catch on as more and more people get a chance to play with a 6" limited gun and find that they like the way it shoots.

I am having a 6" built to play with as I am also a fan of the way they shoot and track.

I've not seriously shot a 6" yet, built a few, but after going to a 4" gun for the production nats I'm thinking the 6" would be great to go with....!

I've got a badass Cheely 6" gun I'll sell you Matt. You may have heard of him. :cheers:

Just kidding....that beast will be mine for a long time.

Edited by jasmap

I shoot a Bedell Shorty and a Bedell 6". Both balance at the trigger.

And to the OP, you ask who is still shooting them.....hell there are still tons of 6" guns just getting built. You mentioned the supersquad guys but there were a couple other top ten guys who shot 6" guns. And in talking with Henning his wasn't ready yet.

Out of the Top 16 in the Limited Nationals I believe Michael Voigt and Ron Avery shot 6" guns but everyone else went with a 5. Todd Jarrett put his 6" gun away after seeing the longest shot was 22 yards.

Horses for courses...

• 2 weeks later...
This makes me curious. (This is from someone who is having a 6" built, so this is not a mean post) I started a thread in the Nationals section mentioning an observation I made at the Nationals. All but one person on the Limited SS who was shooting a 2011 was shooting a 5"--and very plain, basic 5" guns at that. Voight shot a 6". Even TJ, who shot a 6" last year, was shooting a 5" this year. If it is so obviously better, why are the best shooters in the world not using them? It could be something as simple as their 6" was in the shop or something, but it could be something else as well. Oh well--I'll let you all know what I think after I get my 6" :)

It might have been so because the targets at this year's nationals were mostly up close. Increase the target distances and we would probably have seen more top shooters use a 6'

I've not seriously shot a 6" yet, built a few, but after going to a 4" gun for the production nats I'm thinking the 6" would be great to go with....!

Well Matt.... here is one that you built..... and I love it... I just need to get off my "Open" gun kick and shoot it MORE......... :unsure::unsure:

6inmatt.jpg