Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Premature Slidelock

Duane Thomas

As I mention in another thread, I now have two functional magazines for my HFC Glock 17. Unfortunately one of them will, every single time, lock the action open with one pellet still left in the mag. It's debatable how important that is, still I'd like to fix the problem if I could. And before anyone says it, no, my thumbs are nowhere the slide stop, the heel of my hand is not pressing up on the slide stop, etc. This never happens with the other magazine, only this one.

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this? Obviously it's something to do with this particular mag. Would replacing the feed lips possibly help? I have multiple replacement feed lips, both brand-new parts or I could cannibalize defunct old mags. I know this is meant to be a removable and replaceable part. Anyone know how to remove and replace the feed lips on an HFC Glock 17 mag?

I wonder if it could be the follower pushing that last bullet in a manner that it(the bullet) hits the slide stop?

No. The "bullet" is a teeny pellet that is centered in the wide magazine, thus the magazine well, and the slide stop is WAY off to the side from that, in addition to which there are really thick plastic feed lips between the slide stop and the pellet. Also the portion of the follower that hits the slide stop is actually a little part off to the side of the mag tube, on the other side of the feed lips, and the portion of the slide stop that hits the follower is just a little protrusion of metal that is way further down inside the mag well than a "real" slide stop. It's hard to explain in words, but the upshot is the pellet doesn't come anywhere near the slide stop.