Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI MatchMaster with ejection problem

KermitShooter

I have an STI MatchMaster is 38 super that was purchased in March of this year. Here is the issue, whenever i use major power factor ammo, i get spent cases hitting the scope mount and bouncing back into the chamber thus causing a jam. When i use light loads, this does not seem to be an issue. I have an AFTEC extractor and also installed an EGW extended length ejector. The jam happens about every seven to nine shots fired. Any hints or suggestions? Dave at STI has extened his offer to tune the gun if i return it to the factory. Also, this has happened with brand new brass and also reloaded brass.

I have a similar issue but instead of it causing a jam, the pisotl will just simply not go bang and go click instead. I check the bullet and there is no primer hit at all but if I pull the hammer back then it goes bang. This only happens when I try to go fast for stages and is very unpredictable. I can go 4 stages with nothing then 3 times in the same stage. Not an ammo issue nor a mag issue as I have another gun which works 100%. It's a shame that we pay $2700 for a matchmaster and still have to get it tuned.

I have an STI MatchMaster is 38 super that was purchased in March of this year. Here is the issue, whenever i use major power factor ammo, i get spent cases hitting the scope mount and bouncing back into the chamber thus causing a jam. When i use light loads, this does not seem to be an issue. I have an AFTEC extractor and also installed an EGW extended length ejector. The jam happens about every seven to nine shots fired. Any hints or suggestions? Dave at STI has extened his offer to tune the gun if i return it to the factory. Also, this has happened with brand new brass and also reloaded brass.

You might try tuning the ejector - see the following link for help in doing such

Brazos Custom Ejection Perfection

For the first post; What recoil spring are you using for Major vs Minor loads?

For the second post; Do you have an extended firing pin? What primers are you using ?

you're the second person to ask me that and while i don't really know what it has, it just makes no sense to me to not put the right size firing pin in there in the first place. what's the purpose of the "extended" pin and why not make that one standard on all pistols?

For the second post; Do you have an extended firing pin? What primers are you using ?

To add another twist, i am using a Dawson full lenght guide rod, not the light recoil master, per David at STI, and i am using a 11 pound spring for major and a 9 pound spring for minor.

I am using an AFTEC extractor, so clocking should not be an issue? However, the cases that get stuck after hitting the scope mount do have a pronounced "cut" in the rim of the case, in other words, there is a sharp slice in the brass. Could this be too much tension from the extractor? I have been to the BRAZOS website and adjusted the ejector, but a case will still pop up and hit the scope mount. Also, brass is landing 12-15 feet back and to the right.

I am using an AFTEC extractor, so clocking should not be an issue?

Depends on your firing pin stop and how the aftec was fit.

However, the cases that get stuck after hitting the scope mount do have a pronounced "cut" in the rim of the case, in other words, there is a sharp slice in the brass. Could this be too much tension from the extractor?

Is this from the slide squishing the brass up against the bbl? How does the brass that ejects properly look?

Edited by al503

Cases bouncing into the scopemount and sticking in the chamber is almost always caused by too LOW ejection. It first hits the port then is knocked up into the scopemount appearing to be too high ejection. Look for a brass mark on the ejection port about the length of the brass from the breechface.

p.s. you are using 38 super and not super comp right?

Cases bouncing into the scopemount and sticking in the chamber is almost always caused by too LOW ejection. It first hits the port then is knocked up into the scopemount appearing to be too high ejection. Look for a brass mark on the ejection port about the length of the brass from the breechface.

BEFORE DOING THIS...shoot the gun with out the scope mount and see if the brass is going up or on the side?

• 2 weeks later...

BEFORE DOING THIS...shoot the gun with out the scope mount and see if the brass is going up or on the side?

+1....If so....ejector! IMO.that is

My STI 9mm major did same thing - after changing the ejector/extractor, etc, I found that it was One of my

mags caused all the problems. Haven't had a single problem in the past 8 months since I stopped using that

one mag.

I have had much experience with the same type of jam. Brass caught between the scope mount and the slide. Send it back to STI and explain the problem. They will fix it. Remove the scope and scope mount and shoot it. If it does not jam and easy fix as previously mentioned is a Quinn Mt or Cheely Mt.

The Aftec extractor should have solved your jam problem. The next step is send it to STI or a qualified gunsmith.

My Factory Trubor in 9MM wouldnt reliably eject until I installed a Brazos Tuned Ejector.

+1 on brazos tuned ejector. I was having the same issue on one of my open guns. Installed the brazos tuned ejector and never had another problem out of the gun.

My Factory Trubor in 9MM wouldnt reliably eject until I installed a Brazos Tuned Ejector.

+1 on brazos tuned ejector. I was having the same issue on one of my open guns. Installed the brazos tuned ejector and never had another problem out of the gun.

Talked with David at STI and I sent the gun to him today. I will be waiting anxiously for its' return. The gun jammed with almost every magazine and it also jammed before installing the AFTEC. I just want to hear what the problem actually was. I will update when David calls. Thanks for all the advice and input, it is really appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

I received the pistol back from STI and the warranty sheet says that they tuned the extractor, tuned the ejector, polished the disconnector rail, polished the feed ramp and throat. I shot steel on Friday night, about 90 rounds, and shot at the local club match on Sunday, 116 rounds with no malfunctions. My hats off to the guys at STI and their ability to get the pistol returned quickly. David at STI was very helpful and i want to thank them for their commitment to stand behind their products.

• 3 weeks later...

Extended firing pin is excellent item, if you have pretty light like 15 lbs mainspring and hard, like small rifle, primers.

Yes, Matchmaster has extended pin as standard, as Trubor and Grandmaster also.

I guess, they will not put it into every gun, because if you drop the gun muzzle first it will go BANG little easier.

you're the second person to ask me that and while i don't really know what it has, it just makes no sense to me to not put the right size firing pin in there in the first place. what's the purpose of the "extended" pin and why not make that one standard on all pistols?

Biggest reason FOR the extended Firing Pin is it eliminates a lot of primer flow issues with hot-rodded IPSC Major ammo. Increased reliability with harder primers and lighter mainspring weights is another side effect.

The biggest reason AGAINST the extended Firing Pin in a production gun that any ol' schmuck can buy is liability. The extended FP actually extends through the firing pin hole on the breechface when the hammer is down, effectively eliminating a quasi-safety feature of the 1911 (the inertial firing pin).

• 3 weeks later...

Quinn,Cheely or Barry solves a lot of ejection problems but when I was running a conventional C-More mount, a Brazos tuned ejector really lowered the ejection path enough to clear the mount. Having the extractor tuned right makes a difference also. More energy at the moment of ejection.