Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendations for Shoes

The_Vigilante

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear Merrels also, to work, home, hiking, about everywhere, and matches. Excellent shoes, well built, take a lot of abuse. Light, comfy.

Here's a huge list:

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-us/Gallery.mv...amp;__ajax=true

This is what I'm wearing now:

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-us/ViewProduc...r?galleryId=M-F

Edited by Steve Koski

I like the Merrells but they don't fit my feet as well as Vasques' do. I would say try on some trail running or hiking shoes like Adidas, Merrell, Under Armour, New Balance if you're a bigger guy, and Vasque.

Edited by jasmap

Depends on the scenario. If the stage description says "You are out at a fancy restaurant with the GF when you are beset upon by robbers" then you should wear leather soled pump dress shoes. ( don't forget the Tux as a cover garment too.) If the scenario states " you are sitting in your easy chair" you should wear house slippers. If the scenario states "while asleep at night you hear glass breaking and see a burglar in your bedroom" you should shoot the COF barefoot and naked with the spare mag stowed on your person - somewhere.

Lets keep it real. :)

I see alot of people with hiking shoes, tennis shoes, tac boots, etc... just go to Academy, try on some moderate priced shoes and wear whats comfortable. While cleats aren't allowed, you still want to have an aggresive sole. I've seen alot of people slip, no one has fallen yet but many slip trying to get there, or stop once they get there.

The Merrell's look good but I am looking for something I can buy locally and actually try them on and see what they look like before I buy them.

You can find Merrell's in MANY locations. They're not just a specialty shoe and neither are any of the others I mentioned.

Don't those "work boots" feel heavy on your feet?

It's weird --- but I can go from slippers to 2+ lb. hiking boots and never notice a weight difference on my feet.....

I do notice at the end of a long day that my feet and legs feel better, if I spent the day in good boots....

...they could be hiking boots or modern "military" boots...

Don't those "work boots" feel heavy on your feet?

Nope. If anything, I need something even heavier. ...I find myself going way too fast most of the time.

I looked at a bunch of the shoes/boots that a lot of shooters use and I keep going back to my work boots. They have been re-soled a couple times and I have them broke-in so they feel great. I put gel sport insoles in them and I really get a comfortable fit. Additionally, if the range is crappy with mud, I don't have to worry about getting them muddy and I don't have to worry about getting my socks wet if I step in a puddle.

Regarding traction, I picked a tread that has some nobbies but is not as nobby as cleats. I don't have any problems sliding around on gravel nor on wood decks.

I've also thought that maybe I was being slowed down by the weight of the boots, however, like I said there are many many times when I really need to slow down. Due to this, I said forget being concerned about the weight. Besides, I don't notice the weight.

Lastly, my work boots have become my signature. Tony Hawkins and others wouldn't recognize me without them! :D

Darren