Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why aren't there many Sig P250's on the scene

redwoods

I know SigSauer came out with the P250 a couple years ago and it looked as if it was their version of the glock......a striker fired pistol. I thought it would be the gun to use in production division if you were going to get a Sig. I seems as if the 226 is still more popular. Any reasons for this?

Randy

DAO and the trigger reset is LOOOOOOOOOONNNGGGG. Don't have any 1st hand knowledge of the this, but have read about some mechanical problems with them too. It's a new design. I imagine it will take some time to get the design gremlins out.

There's another practical side to why you aren't seeing them much anywhere.

Pricing.

On it's own, the 250 is nothing spectacular. It is a hammer fired DAO triggered polymer framed gun with a stamped metal chassis. There are otther guns with better features for the same price. Their gimmick, is to entice people on price by offering the option of being able to reconfigure the gun cheaply. The only problem is for that gimmick to work, you have to not look at the cost of the parts to reconfigure the gun before buying the gun. Amazingly, what looks like $20 of small parts and stamped steel is not the most expensive part of the gun. Imagine that.

You won't see them show up in numbers in competition unless they have success in the commercial market. You aren't just not seeing a lot of them in competition, you aren't seeing a lot of them sell anywhere.

trigger reset is LOOOOOOOOOONNNGGGG.

I think he meant LLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG.

I had one when they first arrived. The pull was clean enough...but was WWWAAYYY too long.

They also were only shipping with one mag at the time...and were then hard to find anywhere. This may have changed - but the whole thing was just a little more than discouraging...oh, and I couldn't find a holster either at the time - uggg.

This reminds me of the story I was told about the guy who took a Robbie Leatham course with one of the Smith & Wesson DAO autos. Everyone else in the class is going along bangbangbangbangbang, this guy is going along bang....bang....bang....bang....bang. Finally Robbie comes down and asks the guy, "Why are you so damn slow?" The guys says, "The trigger pull on this gun is so long, this is literally as fast as I can shoot it." So Robbie tried it, and that was as fast as he could shoot it, too. :surprise:

Well let me try and take you past all the rumor ......and Internet myths ......

The P-250 is not as popular as it could be is because SIG shot themselves in the foot with the introduction of this new design ........ meaning they could not meet the demand for the new Conversion "kits" to change over the pistol to other calibers.

Except for a few ( read very few ) minor problems the pistol had when it first hit the streets, SIG has corrected all of the bugs usually incountered when releasing a new design. The P-250 in 45 acp that I own has sent 500 rds down range - flawlessly.

Not being able to supply owners with Conversion Kits really caused a bad taste with SIG owners and they constantly bashed the Pistol every chance they got ........ most of it was deserved. These Conversion Kits were suppose to sell in the market place for around $399. I ask you .... where can you find a quality pistol for $399 ??? Including Night Sights !! IF you needed to buy an additional Grip frame .......... to go from say a full size down to a sub -compact ....it will cost another $45. Still not bad IMHO.

As to the design : <There are otther guns with better features for the same price> I don't know about this one. The ploymer P-250's RAIL System is a very thick one piece steel chassis. Unlike most other ploymer designs where the rails are individual small steel implants embedded into the polymer frame ( Glock, Walther P-99 etc. ) . The P-250's rail system must also be able to handle mutiple calibers from the powerful Sig 357 down to the 9mm. One piece Rail design and Steel on Steel Barrel lock-up leads to Sigs renoun accuracy.

Supported chamber design - Unlike some Glock models which can have unsupported chambers ........ the Sig P-250's chamber is almost 99.99% supported ..... only a tiny sliver of cartridge casing is exposed in the 45 acp model. The only other semi-auto pistol that does better in this department is the H&K pistols. Reliable feeding without compromising chamber support - a big plus for SIG.

Trigger pull: Yes, the P-250 has a long DAO trigger pull ........... and is not for the novice. The trigger pull will turn away many shooters not willing to put the time into mastering the long pull. BUT it is one of the smoothest pulls you will ever encounter in a DAO pistol ....... and coming in at about 4 - 5 lbs. pull ........ it is easier to squeeze than a standard Factory Glock.

It is true that this pistol will naturally slow down your shooting speed somewhat, but it has been my experience that during high stress situations we tend to shoot too fast anyways - missing the intended target . Many times " Slower is Faster" and it is not always who shoots first but who hits the target first - that walks away. Just for the record, it has taken me about 500 rounds with the 45 acp P-250 to get the trigger pull stroke down to an acceptable close combat speed and accuracy. This is a minimum ability with this pistol that will require many, many more rounds to really master the weapon.

Will it ever rise to the top as a competition pistol ........... I would guess not .....because no matter how good you get with the pistol, it will never allow the same shooting speeds as other SA/DA semi-autos. BUT I do feel it will find a place for Home defense where the owner needs a SAFE and simple design that requires minimum trips to the range to stay familiar with the pistol's operation. Like the Glock, this pistol has no levers to operate or De-cock. It allows you to practice with the cheaper 9mm cartridge

and in less than one minute convert the pistol into a 40 S&W or .45 acp !! for more power and knock-down .

The P-250 45 acp along with my Glcok 17 handles all my CCW requirements .............

JF.

Edited by Sniper350

The P-250 in 45 acp that I own has sent 500 rds down range - flawlessly.

Great, call us when you have many, many, many more thousands of rounds down range. 500 is one practice session and means zippy, but it's not a bad start.

I ask you .... where can you find a quality pistol for $399 ??? Including Night Sights !! IF you needed to buy an additional Grip frame .......... to go from say a full size down to a sub -compact ....it will cost another $45. Still not bad IMHO.

A friend of mine owns a gun shop and just sold a whole bunch of police trade in Glock 21s with night sights for $399 each with three or four mags. I paid $500 for a new M&P Pro....okay, that's a hundred more, but it's the complete gun!

As to the design : <There are otther guns with better features for the same price> I don't know about this one. The ploymer P-250's RAIL System is a very thick one piece steel chassis. Unlike most other ploymer designs where the rails are individual small steel implants embedded into the polymer frame ( Glock, Walther P-99 etc. ) . The P-250's rail system must also be able to handle mutiple calibers from the powerful Sig 357 down to the 9mm. One piece Rail design and Steel on Steel Barrel lock-up leads to Sigs renoun accuracy.

Who doesn't have steel on steel lockup? Glocks and M&P's handle .357 Sig just fine with smaller rails. Oh, the Sig 228 I had for a short (very short) time wasn't particularly accurate and my father's P239 is pretty poor...at best I think he's found one load that would do better than 3.5-4" at 25yds. I've shot it with several brands, weights etc and it simply isn't up to it. My G27 and Kahr PM9 are both way more accurate...no comparison.

Supported chamber design - Unlike some Glock models which can have unsupported chambers ........ the Sig P-250's chamber is almost 99.99% supported ..... only a tiny sliver of cartridge casing is exposed in the 45 acp model. The only other semi-auto pistol that does better in this department is the H&K pistols. Reliable feeding without compromising chamber support - a big plus for SIG.

This is untrue. Glocks have fully supported chambers. Yes, the diameter of the chamber mouth is generous and in some cartridges causes a little bit of case swelling, but the case is still supported after it expands that couple of thousandths (at most). In fact, there are some H&K's that swell the brass worse than Glocks. If you were to look at the CZ75 line you'd find that they offer more case support than any of the above. In comparing something like a premium 1911 barrel with a Glock barrel the amount of case support is almost identical and nobody claims to have problems with "unsupported' chambers in 1911s. In reality, the part of the case that is unsupported is well into the web were the case is at it's thickest and isn't going to fail in the first place.

Trigger pull: Yes, the P-250 has a long DAO trigger pull ........... and is not for the novice.

Uh, unless I missed something huge in the last 20+ years, DAO triggers were designed specifically for novice/less experienced shooters.

I don't think SIG did a very good job on the 250. Its not in a position to compete with the Glock, XD, and M&P because it is not as good a gun as they are. The bore axis is typical SIG; too high, and the trigger is not designed for fast shooting.

Bart,

How many P250s have you seen, shot, or handled?

That's not really the kind of thing that I would try to track numbers on, but enough to be generally familiar with them. Also, I didn't say anything negative about them, just pointed out the errors or inconsistencies in that earlier post. If they fit someone's hand well and they're comfortable with the controls etc I don't see where they'd be a bad choice :)

I do think the length of the trigger press/reset would be a bit of a handicap for USPSA shooting and that, probably more than anything, will keep them from ever being really popular in the sport.

As a reasonably direct comparison, Kahr has a long, smooth DAO trigger that I like just fine for a carry gun, but I wouldn't want it on a match gun. I can shoot nice groups at 25yds with my PM9, so it doesn't hurt accuracy, but fast splits aren't really it's strong suit. Just like everything else, it's all a tradeoff and I think the P250 falls more into the duty/carry role better than the match role. R,

"Glocks have fully supported chambers"

This statment tells me everything I need to know about your gun knowledge ..............

Sorry ..... talk to any Gunsmith that has experience with Glocks and all will tell you that Glock has been famous for its "unsupported" chambers in certain calibers. The 9mm ( which is what the Glock design was constructed around ) is the exception to the unsupported chamber rule.

The reason Glocks have had KB's in the past is due in part to the unsupported chamber in the .40S&W barrel. Glock has made some quiet improvments in this area, but still have a ways to go to catch up with SIG or H&K.

I have seen MANY photo side by sides of Glocks with 4 other brands demonstrating the obvious "unsupported" chamber area exposing large areas of the cartridge casing .......... I am kind of shocked you have not seen the same ???

Anyway, I am not posting to change your mind about SIG's or any other brand of Pistol ........... just providing some "first hand" information about the P-250.

"Great, call us when you have many, many, many more thousands of rounds down range. 500 is one practice session and means zippy, but it's not a bad start."

Are you suggesting that a semi-auto that shoots 500 rounds right out of the box - flawlessly - is all of a sudden going to turn into a jam-o-matic later on ??? I have never seen that happen in the 40 years I have been shooting pistols. Certainly not in a SIG ! Maybe you ought to change pistols brands after all ??

Uh, unless I missed something huge in the last 20+ years, DAO triggers were designed specifically for novice/less experienced shooters.

Ah, yeah ...you have missed something ........the DAO trigger was designed to be a SAFER trigger system ......not necessarily for a novice ! A novice will struggle to do well with any DAO pistol, compared to say a 1911 with the same amount of training time allowed. I know this because I have been training students for 25 years in close combat pistol defense. So if you ask me is the DAO trigger system well suited for a novice shooter .......my answer would be NO, not unless the shooter had many months of intensive training in order to get good enough to pass my close combat course. But the shooter can pass the course with a standard SA/DA pistol with 15 weeks of training and they do regularly. The reason for this difference ........ is the close combat course does not allow for even ONE MISS in order to pass out of 120 rounds of continues fire at a target 11 inches in diameter on the chest and the target's head area. Target is constantly "moving" to 3 different engagment distances requiring 3 different responses.

One response is my "burst response" where the shooter engages the target with his pistol held at his belt buckle ( from the draw) and fires 6 times as fast as he can pull the trigger at the target stationed 12 feet away ( half the distance of an average room ) and again No MISSES are allowed - this occurs "several" times during the test. Ah, no "night sights" needed here because the shooter doesn't even see his weapon, no less his sights <smile>

JF.

This statment tells me everything I need to know about your gun knowledge ..............

uh, we try to be a kinder gentler crowd round here...not really any need for chest thumping...

And - there's all sorts of folks here, and tons of knowledge from all sorts of sources and experiences - welcome to the board.

And back to the 250 - yes part of the issue I had was their issue/method of coming to market - the other was that lllooonngg pull. I'm glad it works for you and I know it would be a great truck gun, SD, among other things...I really should pick another up someday...but it just isn't a gamer - that is neither good nor bad - it just is.

Sorry ..... talk to any Gunsmith that has experience with Glocks and all will tell you that Glock has been famous for its "unsupported" chambers in certain calibers. The 9mm ( which is what the Glock design was constructed around ) is the exception to the unsupported chamber rule.

The reason Glocks have had KB's in the past is due in part to the unsupported chamber in the .40S&W barrel. Glock has made some quiet improvments in this area, but still have a ways to go to catch up with SIG or H&K.

I have seen MANY photo side by sides of Glocks with 4 other brands demonstrating the obvious "unsupported" chamber area exposing large areas of the cartridge casing .......... I am kind of shocked you have not seen the same ???

Anyway, I am not posting to change your mind about SIG's or any other brand of Pistol ........... just providing some "first hand" information about the P-250.

Well thank goodness you're here to help all of us out and show us the light :cheers:

I do think it's kind of funny that someone brand new here is going to make comments like the above, as if we're all ignorant here, but hey, I'm all about the facts and will be more than happy to help you out. I also do my own research when possible and don't rely on what other folks tell me, like so many folks seem to do. I'm actually one of the folks that has taken those pictures you seem to think I haven't seen.....I'm ALL about proof.

Glock KB's aren't because of "unsupported chambers". They're caused by a combination of light springs that let them fire out of battery and usually handloads of questionable development (or lead bullets in a factory barrel)...not a factory gun shooting quality ammo. There have been some examples of factory ammo being repeatedly chambered over and over again (beginning and end of shift) that led to bullet setback and an eventual KB, but that's not a gun problem. Below is a picture I took of a 1994 Glock 22 barrel next to a brand new 1911 Schuemann AET Classic also in .40S&W. The lighting isn't great, but I was a bit rushed when I took it. The difference in case support is a couple of thousandths between the two. Clearly, that isn't enough to go from being what everybody considers a fully supported, premium barrel to a "bad" unsupported barrel. Also, I've sectioned various .40 brass and the web goes beyond that little sliver that isn't supported. So, this is "first hand" as it gets.

P1010025.jpg

Now, the "rest of the story" as Paul Harvey likes to call it is that the very earliest Glocks had a bit less chamber support than the current versions although they were still what most would call fully supported. This was the start of a rumor commonly repeated by folks that simply know what they're talking about. "Glocked" brass doesn't happen because of the amount of chamber support, it happens because of the diameter of the chamber. If the amount of chamber support was the problem, it would only happen in that little smiley faced section of chamber that is missing where the ramp is.

What's really funny is that folks will put a Bar-Sto barrel in because it's "fully supported", when all the pictures I've seen of Glock .40 Bar-Sto's have LESS support than a stock barrel. They are tighter in diameter, so they don't let the case expand as much as the factory barrel.

Since we're on an educational theme here I'll try to help you out a little bit more (hey, I'm just that kind of guy ;) ) so you'll know why there is a difference between the .40 (for example) and 9mm chambers on Glocks (and others). See, the 9mm is a tapered case. By it's very design, the chamber mouth is oversized in comparison with the case mouth diameter of the cartridge. That means that the chamber doesn't have to be cut even larger to promote reliable reliable feeding.....the "wiggle" room, for lack of a better term, is already there. The .40/10mm/.45 are all either straight-walled or essentially straight-walled cases (within a couple of thousandths). In order to have that little wiggle room of oversized chamber mouth you're going to wind up with a looser chamber mouth to cartridge head area fit. That leads to the "Glocked" brass that people think means the case isn't supported. It's supported, it just expands (on one side) a bit more than it would be in a different style chamber.

"Great, call us when you have many, many, many more thousands of rounds down range. 500 is one practice session and means zippy, but it's not a bad start."

Are you suggesting that a semi-auto that shoots 500 rounds right out of the box - flawlessly - is all of a sudden going to turn into a jam-o-matic later on ??? I have never seen that happen in the 40 years I have been shooting pistols. Certainly not in a SIG ! Maybe you ought to change pistols brands after all ??

I won't say that I've seen a gun go from shooting reliably to turning into a jam-o-matic frequently, but it does happen and I have also seen a new gun take more than 500 rounds to show a reliability problem. In fact, there's one big brand name gun out now where lots of people have documented several hundred, to a couple of thousand rounds before a particular problem shows up (failed extraction) that requires going back to the factory for some attention. I've heard it many times "it was running great and then bingo, random FTE's". I haven't seen anyone document that taking more than 2-3K before it pops up, so that seems to be the threshold of whether it's going to happen or not. I recently had my issued G22 replaced and wouldn't carry it until I had 1,000 rounds through it....but that was only three or four trips to the range, so it wasn't a long delay.

Again, 500 rounds is one decent practice session and until a gun goes many times that I don't consider it "reliable".

Ah, yeah ...you have missed something ........the DAO trigger was designed to be a SAFER trigger system ......not necessarily for a novice ! A novice will struggle to do well with any DAO pistol, compared to say a 1911 with the same amount of training time allowed. I know this because I have been training students for 25 years in close combat pistol defense. So if you ask me is the DAO trigger system well suited for a novice shooter .......my answer would be NO, not unless the shooter had many months of intensive training in order to get good enough to pass my close combat course. But the shooter can pass the course with a standard SA/DA pistol with 15 weeks of training and they do regularly. The reason for this difference ........ is the close combat course does not allow for even ONE MISS in order to pass out of 120 rounds of continues fire at a target 11 inches in diameter on the chest and the target's head area. Target is constantly "moving" to 3 different engagment distances requiring 3 different responses.

One response is my "burst response" where the shooter engages the target with his pistol held at his belt buckle ( from the draw) and fires 6 times as fast as he can pull the trigger at the target stationed 12 feet away ( half the distance of an average room ) and again No MISSES are allowed - this occurs "several" times during the test. Ah, no "night sights" needed here because the shooter doesn't even see his weapon, no less his sights <smile>

Unfortunately your historical background on gun design developments has left you short on this one. The modern DAO was first introduced in the Enfield No.2 Mk I pistol (1938...I'll admit, had to double check the date). It was intended to be issued to British troops that were hastily trained in rapid fire, close range combat techniques....i.e. novice shooters. It was not for safety purposes.

What's interesting is that I get to teach lots of new shooters and a large percentage of them have never fired a gun in their life. The first gun they get to fire is a Glock 22 or 23 (goes back and forth over time) and that has been quite easy to teach from both a manipulation standpoint and a marksmanship standpoint. A few of our senior agents are still carrying Sigs and I have seen more than a couple shoot better the first time they try a Glock and none any worse. I have a good friend who carried a Sig 220 (personally owned) or a Sig 226 for a long time and when he got his issued G22 to replace the 226 he immediately shot better with it and it was all because of the trigger mechanism. In fact, he said something like "I don't like the way it feels as much, but I shoot it better"....that boils down to the trigger. Most of these are folks that shoot half a dozen times a year....pretty much novices, and they shoot better with a DAO system than they do with a DA/SA system.

The large movement in law enforcement to DAO has been one primarily based upon training resources (money) and qualification rates, not safety. The average police academy has between 200 and 500 rounds fired in firearms training...that's nothing. They have better success getting people qualifed with a DAO system than they do a DA/SA system....plain and simple.

Further, from a safety standpoint the two systems offer very little difference. The first shot is the one that primarly makes or breaks things from an "oops" standpoint....once you're shooting it's pretty unlikely that you shouldn't have shot in the first place. Neither one is any more likely than the other to have an accidental first shot. If someone has an accidental first shot and then follows it with an accidental second shot they have some pretty major problems that a gun system can't fix.

Most of the recognized "experts" (hint, quite a few of them are on this board) will acknowledge that a DA/SA system takes more training to be proficient with than a DAO system and in my personal experience that is absolutely true. I've been involved with both, on a professional level, and teaching DA/SA (Beretta M9) took more time than what I'm seeing now with DAO. It's only ONE trigger press to learn/teach, not two.

Lastly, I didn't say anything negative about the P250, or Sig in general. It's a decent gun that would serve well in a number of situations. I don't think it's well suited for competition shooting, but not everything is. Oh, and I generally dislike Glocks even though I have a bunch of them so this isn't a Sig Vs. Glock thing at all. Just the facts....

Edit for spelling.

Edited by G-ManBart

JF.

Gosh, that sounds sort of 'tactical". A "burst response".... hmmmm

Isn't there another board somewhere, anywhere that favors that?

As to the SIG, never ran across that one in a match. Crappy marketing by SIG, I suppose.

If a gun is viable for this sport somebody picks it up and runs with it, so far it's not happened. But that could change. Since Max is now shooting for SIG it could bring those pistols up a bit in the standings. Time will tell.

Having tried a DAO pistol for gaming I can say for me it was no fun. They are just much harder to learn. Doesn't matter if it's striker or hammer fired. It's just a really long trigger. Sure you can get used to it but it's not an advantage. I tried a 250 at a friends house. It was not much different then my Kahr.

To paraphrase Col. Cooper on DA auto pistols.

You can run a race with a 50lb. backpack, but why would you?

I like the feel of the 250, as with most Sigs. They got the ergonomics right!

My years have taught me that feel is only good if you intend to hold it a lot.

You could shoot the 250 well in production if you are willing to put the time in.

The same amount of work with a better trigger would yield better results.

I hope Max will have some input, and that we will see some Sigs that are viable for USPSA.

I put 30,000 through my SV flawlessly. The link broke in the last match. :(

You can shoot it well but not as well as you could a different gun. The SIG 226 or X5 would be much better choices, although certainly more expensive. Most guns, as long as they are reliable and reasonably accurate, will work for USPSA. Some will be ideal and will provide a bit of an edge over a shooter with a 250. If someone wants to take the time and energy to master one I'm sure it will work fine.

As far as 500 rounds being any indicator on the reliability of a gun, it's not. While it might show that the gun works out of the box, it won't necessarily show that certain springs break after about 1000 rounds which was one of the rumors I heard. I don't consider a gun design durable until someone has 5K through it. I don't trust any gun I carry until it has at least 500 trouble free rounds out of it. And that's only on gun systems that I know have a history of reliability, Glock, Sig P22x Series, etc.

I tried a 250 at a friends house. It was not much different then my Kahr.

Thanks for that....I didn't do a side-by-side, but my memory told me the P250 trigger was pretty similar to my Kahr. I think it's a great setup for a pocket gun (for me anyway) and probably a great setup for a carry gun for lots of folks....it's just not setup well for a match gun. Now, if somebody could play around and come up with a shorter trigger pull/reset and have it still be legal, that might change things considerably. R,

I tried a 250 at a friends house. It was not much different then my Kahr.

Thanks for that....I didn't do a side-by-side, but my memory told me the P250 trigger was pretty similar to my Kahr. I think it's a great setup for a pocket gun (for me anyway) and probably a great setup for a carry gun for lots of folks....it's just not setup well for a match gun. Now, if somebody could play around and come up with a shorter trigger pull/reset and have it still be legal, that might change things considerably. R,

I would pay good money to get the trigger more like the Glock or like the Para LDA trigger. I guess the Kahr revolver style trigger is not that bad but I sure would like it more if it was different. I do agree. Its a very safe carry gun. I don't worry about pulling the trigger unless I mean it. My Kahr has also been a excellent pistol.

I hope Max will have some input, and that we will see some Sigs that are viable for USPSA.

Sig's had guns that are more than viable for USPSA Production Division for a while now. The P226 has been around since the 1980's with a folded two-piece carbon steel slide and more recently in various stainless steel and aluminum framed flavors. About two years ago Sig started selling the Sig P226 X-Five Allround, which is a 5" barrel full stainless steel beast. Don't forget the two P226 USPSA models that have been available all year long, one is full stainless and the other has an aluminum frame.

Sig's had guns that are more than viable for USPSA Production Division for a while now. The P226 has been around since the 1980's with a folded two-piece carbon steel slide and more recently in various stainless steel and aluminum framed flavors. About two years ago Sig started selling the Sig P226 X-Five Allround, which is a 5" barrel full stainless steel beast. Don't forget the two P226 USPSA models that have been available all year long, one is full stainless and the other has an aluminum frame.

I should have worded that differently.

I should have said, I hope that Sig will come up with a trigger system that is as easy to shoot as some of the other production guns.

I really like the ergonomics of the Sigs. I love the X5(Single action). I wish they made big mags.

I would put down my 2011 for an X5 that held 30rds.

I should have worded that differently.

I should have said, I hope that Sig will come up with a trigger system that is as easy to shoot as some of the other production guns.

I really like the ergonomics of the Sigs. I love the X5(Single action). I wish they made big mags.

I would put down my 2011 for an X5 that held 30rds.

Sig is known for their DA/SA trigger system. I doubt their going to dramatically change their bread and butter. Bruce Gray built me a P226 for Production Division that has a 5.5-lb DA trigger pull and a 2.5-lb trigger pull with a reset that's one quarter of the factor reset length. What more do you want? Guns like this will never come from the factory's mass production line. They are custom pieces similar to your 2011.