Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Location of 2010 Nationals ?

MarkCO

For me, overall it was a good match.

I liked the heat of Las Vegas better than the cold of other ranges. Thanks for the bottled water and shade.

Wish the stages were bigger, 306 rounds is a little low for a Nationals event (even less with the Ltd/L10).

I'll go back there again, mainly due to the ease of getting there and finding rooms and things to do.

Heck, if I can get ammo, I might even do a back-to-back.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed the match at LV. I shot the SOF matches there starting in 1983. It gets hot, but with all the water that was provided it wasn't all that bad. I'm not sure that I'll drive the same car for the next one. The little blue car got very dusty inside and out and if I put the top up it gets hotter than I like on the inside.

If the next Nationals are held in LV I'll be there, even if I have to be a walk-on. And I might even shoot both Open and Limited.

For me, overall it was a good match.

I liked the heat of Las Vegas better than the cold of other ranges. Thanks for the bottled water and shade.

Wish the stages were bigger, 306 rounds is a little low for a Nationals event (even less with the Ltd/L10).

I'll go back there again, mainly due to the ease of getting there and finding rooms and things to do.

Heck, if I can get ammo, I might even do a back-to-back.

You say the word brother and you will have no worries about ammo :D

seams pretty intersesting but the match could be shot with under 11lbs of ammo, the airline max, I say good job.

Sadly, that should not be the criteria for Nationals level stage design.

I would definitely be in for Vegas anytime....awesome weather (just stay hydrated), easy travel and rooms, plenty of activities for family and nonshooting friends, and just about every kind of downtime fun you would like.

I'm not sure that I'll drive the same car for the next one. The little blue car got very dusty inside and out and if I put the top up it gets hotter than I like on the inside.

I passed that car dozens of times and I was thinking that same thing. :wacko:

I think we should look at the wait list, the Vegas wait list was in the hundreds in an hour or two and that is in an economy like we have had and outrageous ammo prices. Lots and lots of walk ons up to the last day in Tulsa, that should be a hint right there what the membership at large wants, Vegas is cheaper, and alot more fun than Tulsa, Moyock NC, or any of the other places mentioned. The weather can be counted on also. I know there are some that only look at the shooting but I bet a big chunk of the people going to Nationals look at it as a vacation. I stayed an extra day, I shoulda stayed an extra week. I had a blast.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I live in the Panhandle of Texas. It cast me $600. to go to Nats in Tulsa and $1600. to go to Nats in Vegas. My vote would be fore Tulsa.......

If it rained in Vegas During Nats the conditions would have been no better then in Tulsa. Maybe its not the location so much as the dates..

I think we should look at the wait list, the Vegas wait list was in the hundreds in an hour or two and that is in an economy like we have had and outrageous ammo prices. Lots and lots of walk ons up to the last day in Tulsa, that should be a hint right there what the membership at large wants, Vegas is cheaper, and alot more fun than Tulsa, Moyock NC, or any of the other places mentioned. The weather can be counted on also. I know there are some that only look at the shooting but I bet a big chunk of the people going to Nationals look at it as a vacation. I stayed an extra day, I shoulda stayed an extra week. I had a blast.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I live in the Panhandle of Texas. It cast me $600. to go to Nats in Tulsa and $1600. to go to Nats in Vegas. My vote would be fore Tulsa.......

If it rained in Vegas During Nats the conditions would have been no better then in Tulsa. Maybe its not the location so much as the dates..

Nah....it rarely rains in Vegas or in AZ near Phoenix. It rains MUCH less often than in Tulsa. I'm only guessing that the Tulsa match is going to be a no-go unless they ever change the drainage issue and I doubt that is happening anytime soon. That's just speculation on my part though. I do love the range in Tulsa but not in water halfway up my shins.

I think it pretty much is the location.....if you looked at the weather last week it was raining in Tulsa and Barry.

There is absolutely no doubt that the southwest has much more predictable weather in the late summer early fall.....now we can debate all day whether or not that particlular weather is desirable but that is another discussion.

Same here. It was an outstanding place to hold the event mostly because of the off-hours options available, but it was also cheaper to get into (air fares, hotels, rental cars, etc.) than the other Nationals venues I've been able to attend.

Do I hear the phones at the reservations desk at Circus Circus ringing again? It was very handy (once we figured out the best route) to get to the range and all the places to get food and drinks between the range and the hotel. If I can get a slot for next year (and a bigger dot LOL), and if it is in Vegas I might just have to go. It was great getting to meet so many shooters.

Nah....it rarely rains in Vegas or in AZ near Phoenix. It rains MUCH less often than in Tulsa. I'm only guessing that the Tulsa match is going to be a no-go unless they ever change the drainage issue and I doubt that is happening anytime soon. That's just speculation on my part though. I do love the range in Tulsa but not in water halfway up my shins.

It rained on day two of the Open/Production Nats, I think we got the yearly rain fall for Vegas. All 12 drops. :roflol:

Joe W.

I heard more than enough chatter about the next Nat's. I only gamble with my life... If I had to place a bet... LV again. Not that I'm privy to any of that. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the beers!!! :cheers:

I worked on transfers all day. I'll get them out ASAP. Hope everybody had fun.

I think it pretty much is the location.....if you looked at the weather last week it was raining in Tulsa and Barry.

There is absolutely no doubt that the southwest has much more predictable weather in the late summer early fall.....now we can debate all day whether or not that particlular weather is desirable but that is another discussion.

Just to correct this statement there was NO rain in Barry the week of Nationals. Temperatures were 70's for highs and lows in the 50's. Best week of the year here and I was in the desert in Vegas. I'm for PASA but I might be a little biased.

Mostly costs and logistics get a lot messier with them split over two venues.

Back-to-Back: Staff that work both matches (the majority do) get reimbursed for 1 round-trip travel expense.

Split locations: Staff get reimbursed for 2 round-trip travel expenses and since the staff carry this debt from whenever they make the travel arrangements until after the match is finished (we have to do paperwork after the match and about a week later our checks come) we are placing an additional financial burden on the staff.

The hotel/convention venue generally gives better rates over a single 10 day period than one would get for two venues over two 5 day periods.

The entire match must be set up in two locations rather than doing a lot of the setup for match 1 then doing some change over for match 2. Yes, this leads to repetitive stages but from a logistics standpoint it makes far more sense to do it this way. Setup for Nationals this year took something like 4 days (not unusual) and change over took a half day. For a split venue it would be two 4 day setups. Each day of setup costs money for staff hotel rooms, meals, etc.

And everyone burns more vacation to go to two separate matches because you have four travel days rather than just 2.

A single combined Nationals is even cheaper. Pick your division and shoot it, you could hold a 20-24 stage match over 4-5 days with 1,000 competitors like they do in Europe. More competitors, less time for vendors to be away from their business could mean more vendors at the tent. Combine it with a trade-show, with the major gun manufacturers showing off their products, access to the public for spectators, gate revenue etc.

A single combined Nationals is even cheaper. Pick your division and shoot it, you could hold a 20-24 stage match over 4-5 days with 1,000 competitors like they do in Europe. More competitors, less time for vendors to be away from their business could mean more vendors at the tent. Combine it with a trade-show, with the major gun manufacturers showing off their products, access to the public for spectators, gate revenue etc.

Like doing it when SHOT Show is in town. All the top gunners are already in town for the show, why not have an all division Nationals before or afterwards?

Just an idea.

I like the idea of a combined Nats.

Maybe push it to October...cooler weather.