Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Location of 2010 Nationals ?

MarkCO

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If patterns hold true, we won't find out 'til early 2010. That said, I'm for Vegas again. Didn't go this year, for other reasons, but from talking with others, it was good that I didn't. That said, it's always a learning experience and hopefully the stage designs and administration could be stepped up.

Of course, I'm for it going back to USSA too. A random storm shouldn't be the damning of a facility. After all...the Limited Nat's went off without a hitch.

Rich

Edited by uscbigdawg

My limited knowledge suggests that SS Nationals will be in PASA. LV will have at least one if not multiple Nationals; 3Gun, Limited, L10, Open, Production, Rev for the next few years. Although I understand there were significant heat issues.

As far as additional sites, I would assume Tulsa is not in the equation, too many problems with rain.

A random storm shouldn't be the damning of a facility.

The problem was not so much the rain, but the manner in which that range virtually melts in the rain. The combination of the base for the sod, and lack of drainage (notice how the roads are raised and act as a dam to keep water in the ranges) make for conditions much worse than rain at many other venues.

For those who weren't there:

- Beautiful ranges, wonderful area for a vendor tent, fantastic clubhouse, very helpful range staff

- Gorgeous green ranges in some of the best shooting bays you will ever see

- One day after rain started, the beautiful green grass was replaced with muck about 8" thick and no trace of grass remained on the floor of the ranges except a bit under some target stands.

TULSA for me.

I can get there in under two days of easy driving. There is a RV park (not a campground really, but a nice place to park) within about 15 minutes. There are more places to eat than I will ever see. Yes there is gambling as well, not that far east of town. There are things to do given a free day or two.

Is Tulsa the end all, be all? No, it is not, but if the range surfaces can be corrected to drain properly this is a place that could host a 6 division Nationals with 30 plus stages and probably 800 to a thousand shooters! We could and should have a match that has the pomp and circumstance proper of a National Championship Match, not a glorified Area Match.

There are hotels that are large enough and there is a convention center I am sure.

Did anyone mention the number of bays, the club house and the staff?, Parking? Easy access from town?

Now, if we aren't going to go to Tulsa, there is PASA in Illinois, there is the CASA in Arkansas, there is Frank's place in Florida, there must be others. Maybe Blackwater?

If the Nationals are in LV again next year I will probably bite the bullet and fly out.

And the number one thing we really want to know about the 2010 Nationals is What are the dates? and the Number Two thing is Where will they be held. Dates so we can set schedules (Almost that tie of year for so many again and where just so we can decide IF we want to go.

Jim

I thought it was mentioned in one of the BOD meeting minutes that the USPSA signed a 5 year deal with Desert Sportsmans for the Nationals?

Not exactly. The direct quote from the Mar 3rd 2009 meeting minutes is

Michael Voigt reported the Desert Sportsman’s range has been granted a five year permit, partially due to USPSA’s impact on the local economy. He also plans to announce dates for next year’s Nationals by or before this year’s events.

I don't know what a "permit" is in this context.

I think we should look at the wait list, the Vegas wait list was in the hundreds in an hour or two and that is in an economy like we have had and outrageous ammo prices. Lots and lots of walk ons up to the last day in Tulsa, that should be a hint right there what the membership at large wants, Vegas is cheaper, and alot more fun than Tulsa, Moyock NC, or any of the other places mentioned. The weather can be counted on also. I know there are some that only look at the shooting but I bet a big chunk of the people going to Nationals look at it as a vacation. I stayed an extra day, I shoulda stayed an extra week. I had a blast.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BLM land? It issues permits for usage. The dust sign was because the nearby housing development had some residents that complained and were trying to shut the range down due to raised dust--in the !#^!&% desert, gee who would have thought there would be wind and dust in a desert. At least that was what I was told by some locals.

LV is good. The range has potential. The staff provided lots of water. But in that heat, the ROs wilted. I would suggest that at least 4 ROs per stage would be ideal.

Change the format somewhat, 4 days for Open/Production was a pain.

The "permit" is a permit from the county. The area around the range is being developed (or was until the economy tanked). The permit was not something USPSA did or got. At least that is what I got from my discussions with USPSA folk.

The direct quote from the Mar 3rd 2009 meeting minutes is

Michael Voigt reported the Desert Sportsman’s range has been granted a five year permit, partially due to USPSA’s impact on the local economy. He also plans to announce dates for next year’s Nationals by or before this year’s events.

:roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol:

If patterns hold true, we won't find out 'til early 2010. That said, I'm for Vegas again. Didn't go this year, for other reasons, but from talking with others, it was good that I didn't. That said, it's always a learning experience and hopefully the stage designs and administration could be stepped up.

Of course, I'm for it going back to USSA too. A random storm shouldn't be the damning of a facility. After all...the Limited Nat's went off without a hitch.

Rich

Did I just hear someone volunteer?

Troy

I thought it was mentioned in one of the BOD meeting minutes that the USPSA signed a 5 year deal with Desert Sportsmans for the Nationals?

Not exactly. The direct quote from the Mar 3rd 2009 meeting minutes is

I don't know what a "permit" is in this context.

In this case it is a 5 year lease that has now run for 2 years. Heat was not an issue for shooters even though it was hot as hell :devil: . Plenty of water on the ranges and tents for shade. Yes it was 100 degrres plus.

heard a rumor one of them will be in bend, oregon again.

I wouldn't count on it, or any major match, being in Bend for awhile.

Yes, we have some members of the BOD of our range who are morons. Morons is the kindest word I could think of. The range is well developed now, but I would think Chuck is correct in his observation.

I think we should look at the wait list, the Vegas wait list was in the hundreds in an hour or two and that is in an economy like we have had and outrageous ammo prices. Lots and lots of walk ons up to the last day in Tulsa, that should be a hint right there what the membership at large wants, Vegas is cheaper, and alot more fun than Tulsa, Moyock NC, or any of the other places mentioned. The weather can be counted on also. I know there are some that only look at the shooting but I bet a big chunk of the people going to Nationals look at it as a vacation. I stayed an extra day, I shoulda stayed an extra week. I had a blast.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same here. It was an outstanding place to hold the event mostly because of the off-hours options available, but it was also cheaper to get into (air fares, hotels, rental cars, etc.) than the other Nationals venues I've been able to attend.

Rich

Check what the weather was doing in Tulsa during Nationals week. IT WAS RAINING!