Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rebarreling an STI Tactical

RangerTrace

I tried a search and didn't come up with enough information to form an opinion.

I'm thinking about getting a .357 Sig barrel for my Tactical 5.0 and carrying it at work. Mainly because .357 Sig ammo is plentiful in the DPS.

Have any of you tried it and if so, what problems did you have? I loaded some of my 40 mags last night with .357 Sig. The rounds do seem to nose down in the mag a little more than 40s, but they fed fine when I hand cycled the slide.

Edited by rangertrace

Not in 357 sig, but I did have a 10mm barrel fit to mine and it is wicked bad. 22 rounds of full power 10mm at hand for a house gun :D I'm not sure about 357, but for the 10mm I was advised to put in a heavier recoil spring and mainspring. I had thought about the recoil spring, but I over looked the mainspring until a gunsmith pointed it it out.

You can buy alot of .40 ammo for the price of a .357 SIG barrel and fitting if you could even find one, most likely you'll be buying a unchambered .355 barrel and paying for reaming, again, more cost. STI mags have been run through the ringer for years getting them to be pretty much perfect for .40. Pretty much anything that can go wrong has and some smart guy out there has fixed it . With .357 Sig you'll be traveling uncharted territory, Something I have done many times but not in a carry gun.

Edited by Joe4d

Trace,

Venry has built an Open gun in 357 Sig if I recall. Too, Johnny Lim has his 9 Limcat (I think that's what he called it). It's totally doable and not difficult. Feed issues will be fine with normal care, but I think I'd want to check with those that are more experienced with it to confirm. I'd PM Venry or call Johnny.

Rich

ETA: Don't forget that it wasn't too long ago folks were running open guns in 9X25. Worked, for a little bit, for that TGO guy, so it is possible. Barrel, is a barrel, is a barrel. On getting one, I'd think to call Bar-Sto first as cutting barrels in whatever caliber is cake for them.

Edited by uscbigdawg

I searched several of the barrel companies this morning and Barsto is the only one that offers a .357 Sig barrel without having to recut a .355 barrel. Briley won't have any for a couple of months either. So, I'll just stay in the research phase for a little longer.

Thanks for the information

I searched several of the barrel companies this morning and Barsto is the only one that offers a .357 Sig barrel without having to recut a .355 barrel. Briley won't have any for a couple of months either. So, I'll just stay in the research phase for a little longer.

Thanks for the information

Storm Lake makes a barrel in .357 Sig.

http://www.stormlakebarrel.com/barrels

I would not buy a factory chambered barred in .357 sig, the headspace would have to be estimated and would not necessarily be right. This dimension is a lot more critical in a bottlenecked case than a straight wall since too much headspace can pull cases apart and leave half in the chamber. Get your favorite brand of .355 barrel and have benny cut the chamber right for your gun.

The only problem that I can forsee is that STI magazines might not be 100% reliable out of the box. The front spacer rib will be contacting the .357 Sig at a location that will be 9mm diameter and not the .40 diameter. Might work fine but it could be a problem too and may need a spacer like the 9mm folks use. The 9x25 contacts the front rib right at the shoulder so they usually work ok, but the .357 is shorter and that is likely why you are seeing the nose feeding lower. SV mags should be perfect since they do not have the ribs.

Edited by L9X25

You can buy alot of .40 ammo for the price of a .357 SIG barrel and fitting if you could even find one, most likely you'll be buying a unchambered .355 barrel and paying for reaming, again, more cost. STI mags have been run through the ringer for years getting them to be pretty much perfect for .40. Pretty much anything that can go wrong has and some smart guy out there has fixed it . With .357 Sig you'll be traveling uncharted territory, Something I have done many times but not in a carry gun.

Difference is he gets .357 Sig ammo for free :)

Trace,

I'll touch base with Mike and see if he'd make a barrel to your configuration...I would be surprised if he says no. R,

I just got a reply back from Mike at Schuemann. He said any short chambered barrel in .355 would work equally well...just a little reamer work is all it would take. He also said he's had quite a few folks go the same route recently, so maybe it's not as unusual at it would seem. R,

Does the Tactical take a Wilson/Nowlin or CLark/Para ramp? I have a comp'd C/P ramped .357 SIG bbl I can send you, if you want. Lots of .357 Sig brass, too. :)

Leam

I don't think STI has ever offered C/P cuts, so the gun is probably W/N unless someone has changed it (pretty easy change). R,