Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

serve a purpose or is it a ritual?

Bigpops

yrs ago, had a guy w/ a beretta 92F who would stand in the box and at the LAMR draw and dryfire each and every shot he was going to do live...ie...28 rd COF 28 clicks of his trigger, we used to call him 'the human rain delay' he was up att he line for sooo long, hey, its to each everyone's own, on what they do, I shoot both open and limited now, and do the same for each, sort of an ingrained mantra for me as i stand at the beginning of a stage, go thru the routine...i only load a mag and if it 'feels' funny on loading will i check the chamber, make sure there IS a round in the chamber....everyone is different, thats why we play this silly game

Watched a production GM check and recheck mags to make sure they had 10 rounds each. Same with mag after loading, drop and check for 10 rounds. I guess he just didn't want to come up a round short or a round over. I load one mag with 11 rounds and I have mixed them up before, not that hard to do.

yrs ago, had a guy w/ a beretta 92F who would stand in the box and at the LAMR draw and dryfire each and every shot he was going to do live...ie...28 rd COF 28 clicks of his trigger, we used to call him 'the human rain delay' he was up att he line for sooo long, hey, its to each everyone's own, on what they do, I shoot both open and limited now, and do the same for each, sort of an ingrained mantra for me as i stand at the beginning of a stage, go thru the routine...i only load a mag and if it 'feels' funny on loading will i check the chamber, make sure there IS a round in the chamber....everyone is different, thats why we play this silly game

Thats funny!

I have wondered if a shooter should be "on the clock" once they step into the box. Not sure what time limit would be good, perhaps 45-60 seconds max?

Thats funny!

I have wondered if a shooter should be "on the clock" once they step into the box. Not sure what time limit would be good, perhaps 45-60 seconds max?

Per 8.7.1 a competitor is allowed to take a sight picture. "A" sight picture. I don't usually argue but if he's taking 28 clicks of the trigger I think we're beyond "A".

I posted on both threads cause I often take my mag out and look at it.

I write stage notes on the side.

That's funny-like what shoot 4, then reload go right? :)

I do this sometimes-no good reason. I used to check to see if a round chambered, sometimes I check to make sure there is only 10 in the mag, but most of the time I have no thought at all.

After watching 2/3 of nearly 800 shooters, it appears that it may fall into either or both categories or a stress reliever. Some shooters at my stage would use their hands to dance their way through the stage, others would simulate the draw several times. If a person gets obsessive at it their squad mates will probably say something. Do what you need to do to get ready then come to a stop or tell me so I can continue the range commands.

Do what you need to do to get ready then come to a stop or tell me so I can continue the range commands.

It's always an awkward moment for me when the shooter assumes the start position. I start to say "ARE Y.." then they "practice the grab".

Do what you need to do to get ready then come to a stop or tell me so I can continue the range commands.

It's always an awkward moment for me when the shooter assumes the start position. I start to say "ARE Y.." then they "practice the grab".

Me too.

I have seen this at a few matches now and am just curious. I asked a few people and they have no idea either.

Shooter makes ready by inserting mag and loading gun. Then they remove the mag, look at it, and re-insert. Whats the purpose? Anyone...?

Its pretty much a Master level technique.

I could lose my card just talking about it.

Ok I'm kidding, its nerves, trick of the day, habit, or maybe a mental issue but nothing

That's why I'm not there yet. Dang it!

Oh well...I'll just keep grinding through checking the chamber for a round. ;)

Rich

After LAMR, I do a chamber check, then pull on the magazine floorplate to ensure the mag is fully seated. I have watched several people, after doing the "pop the mag out, press on the cartridge, reinsert the mag" process, fail to fully reseat the mag, and have it fall out of the gun after the first shot. I'll pass, thanks. :lol:

That's one way to make sure that a round was actually chambered. It's very important to make sure that a round chambers when you load.
After LAMR, I do a chamber check

THIS is why I use a beater mag as a Barney mag. The mag only has ONE round in it when I go to the line. Insert it in the gun then rack the slide. Pull the mag out and if there is a round still in there you know the gun is empty. :cheers:

Thought maybe it was an OCD thing. :P

OCD??? Never! *washeshandscountstotenwasheshandsagainandcontstotenandwahseshandsagain* :roflol:

Joe W.

I learned that procedure for self defense stuff, and it has served me well in the competition arena as well. First I do a chamber check, then when I pull out the mag, I am checking the next round, the follower and the number of rounds in the gun. How many times have you seen someone put their mag from the previous stage in their mag pouch, get sidetracked, and then load a partially full mag- thus coming up short on the stage? It is a lot less stressful to realize that during LAMR then after the beep. I have also caught an overlength round jamming the follower and a missing primer on the next round during this routine.

I guess everyone has their own procedures. Mine is that after UASC the partially spent magazine goes in my left front pants pocket. Fully loaded mags go in the left rear pants pocket. Unbreakable rule: NEVER put anything other than a fully loaded (or 10 rounds in this case) mag in the left rear pants pocket.

I use a Barney mag, too. At LAMR I insert the Barney mag, rack a round into the the chamber, pop out the Barney, it goes into the left front pants pocket, fish a mag out of the left rear pants pocket (which I know is fully loaded or it wouldn't BE in the left rear pants pocket but I check the witness holes anyway). insert the fully loaded mag, pull on the floorplate to make sure it's seated, do a chamber check, then holster. I'm ready.

Yes, this is a longer procedure than simply inserting an 11-round magazine, racking the action, doing a chamber check, pulling on the floorplate, then holstering. But it's a holdover from times when it was illegal to ever have more than 10 rounds in any mag, even the first one. During that period I came up with idea of using the time, and these procedures, as my pre-shot routine, as part of my ritual to calm down my mind, and shut down conscious thought, before the buzzer. I haven't seen any reason to change.

The only thing I do when loading my wheel gun is half cock the hammer and spin the cylinder to make sure it spins freely. If it doesn't, I replace it. About 1 time out of a 100 it won't spin freely... usually gunk under the star..