Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mac Powerbook G4 help

John Suber

Ok so I have a Mac Powerbook G4 made in 2003. I have been having trouble conecting to the internet wirelessly. I can connect through the Ethernet but that means taking the cable out of the back of our home computer. I want to be able to use it wirelessly. We use DSL and have a Linksys router. When i brought it home, it asked me to create an internet connection. Ok i did that. then i tried connecting but it would not let me. It said that the password needed was a WPA Personal but our internet uses a WEP connection. I think i might have set it up wrong. So i thought ok i will just delete it and restart the connection process. It would not let me. I do not want to have to run another Ethernet cable all the way back to my room because i want to be able to move around the house and use my laptop. What do i do to fix this?????

What does the WiFi status bar (upper right hand side of the screen) show? Does it see the router?

With a incoming WiFi connection, you don't have to touch the network settings, the mac should see the signal and all you might have to do is pick which signal to use and enter a password for the signal being used.

John,

You may have to log into your router at:

http://192.168.1.1/

... and tweak some settings in the "Wireless" (Basic and Security) area.

(On older LinkSys routers, the default username is blank and the default password is "admin." On newer Linksys routers, both the default username and the default password are set to "admin.")

For your older machine, I'd set "Wireless SSID Broadcast" to "disable," then name your Network a cryptic word/numbers you will remember, then in "Wireless Security" set to "Disable."

That way your router isn't broadcasting your network's name. So in your prefs, you'll select something like "join other newtork," then type in it's name. That's a pretty safe way to set up a network with no security settings.

I'd also change the router's login and PW settings from the default settings so no one can log into your router.

be