Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My New Bushmaster BA-50 .50 BMG!

Bill T

bushmasterba50012.jpg

bushmasterba50010.jpg

bushmasterba50008.jpg

bushmasterba50006.jpg

bushmasterba50004.jpg

This is my new Bushmaster .50 BMG Rifle. I just picked it up today after months of struggling with inner demons trying to justify such an expensive purchase. I can't wait to get it out and light it up! I still need to scope it out, and acquire an extensive enough amount of ammo to keep it supplied. So far she is all what they say! Bill T.

Wait till you pull the trigger. It will put an ear to ear smile on your face that will take an hour to wear off.

Join the Fifty Caliber Shooters Association. Their forum (members only) is THE source of knowledge for things 50BMG.(Plus you get a neat magazine four times a year).

Next buy a NightForce scope to put on it. It is one of the few scopes that doesn't cost a fortune that will stand up to hard use.

The problem with scoping these rifles with big buck scopes isn't money, it is the fact .50 BMG's tear up scopes, cheap or expensive. The reason isn't what you might think. It isn't recoil, but rather the lack of it from the way the excellent muzzle brakes work. On most every heavy recoiling hunting rifle, say a .458 Win. Mag., the recoil goes one way. Straight back into your shoulder until all of it is absorbed by the shooter.

On a .50 BMG it becomes a two stage process. That is what ruins scopes. This phenomenon is much like what air rifles do to scopes. You can put a $1,200.00 Leupold on a $50.00 Crossman from Wal-Mart and achieve much the same result. Upon firing the scope and rifle starts back. When the bullet uncovers the muzzle brake ports it begins to pull the rifle forward, much like the clamshell thrust reverser on a jet engine does after the plane touches down. Then the rifle pulls forward. You as the shooter don't feel this. You simply feel the much softer "push" it all makes happen. But the scope "feels" everything. First rear thrust, then forward. A bit like hitting a brick wall in your truck....... then getting rear ended a millisecond later. Your neck is like a wet noodle. Your scope reacts much the same way.

Check out this high speed, slo-mo video. Watch the scope base, scope and rifle. It is unbelievable how much the whole thing flexes! This is a $15,000.00 Accuracy International semi auto. No matter, Sir Issac Newton doesn't care how much you paid for your scope and mounts!

I have heard that the Super Sniper scopes work well on .50 cal's. I think that is where I'm going to start. They have several models and all of them seem to get good reviews. I believe they all have glass etched reticles, a requirement for a .50 BMG. In fact quite honestly, I've never heard a bad thing about them. They are all priced attractively. If a S.S. holds up well in this application, and I feel the desire for something a little better down the line, I'll be able to buy it with a little more confidence than I have now. I would feel sick if I dropped $1,800.00 on a Nightforce or similar model, only to have it go south in 80 rounds.

I'm thinking the integral rail will be a big asset in preventing too much distortion of the scope itself upon firing. Having a scope mounting platform that is literally milled right into the receiver should help with stability quite a bit. I'm also thinking of going with multiple rings. Having that long, milled in rail gives all but limitless applications, all of which should be quite solid. We'll see. Bill T.

For sure there are many scopes that can handle the .50

The reason I recomended the NF is that I know from personal experience that it will stand up to the punishment of shooting the 50. The one on my Styer HS 50 has worked quite well so far.

The Super Sniper will likely work for you. The only issue I have with them is that the glass just isn't even close to the NF (of course the cost isn't either...so there is something to be said for that :) )

Just glad to see more .50 owners...

Edited by caspian guy

I do not own a 50 BMG. I have several Night Force NXS Scopes and one Super Sniper 10X with side focus. While the SS is no where near as clear and bright as the NF they do hold zero and serve the purpose at a much lower price point. If you are shooting under normal light conditions the SS should be fine for your 50. If I ever had the need for another low priced scope the SS would be my first choice. Mine is currently on a blue printed sub MOA Remington 700 Tactical rifle and does the job.

When we tested the Cobb rifles.....the standard scope was a 16x Leupold Mk4. It was mounted in a Larue 50BMG mount and moved amongst many rifles to fire the test groups. It never failed. Several NF,S&B,USO,and Zeiss scopes were used without fail. The one scope that did fail was a Super Sniper. The rifle was sitting on the tailgate of the truck and another range member backed into the front of the truck causing the rifle on the tailgate to flip off and land right on the top adjustment knob and breaking it off the scope. We tested the scope on the rifle and it was shooting about 3' low into the dirt. But before that......the SS worked fine.

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I plan to go with on my .50 BMG Gentleman. It's been ordered, and is on the way from Brownell's and Midway.

Smith Enterprises Rings. (Wire EDM Cut 4130 steel.)

smithenterprises50bmgri.jpg

delrin30mmto1inchreduce.jpg

Smith Enterprises Delrin Reducer Rings, (30 MM To 1")

smithenterprisesmount.jpg

Smith Enteprises Base, (Also wire cut 4130 steel).

bushnell3200elitetactic.jpg

Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical 5-15X 40MM

Cool lookin' blaster, how accurate is it?

I haven't fired it yet. I just got everything put together yesterday. I located some powdered Rosin and ordered it. It should be here in a few days. When it comes I'll pull the ring caps and apply it. Most of the .50 BMG shooters I've spoken with all use it and say they've never had a scope move with it. Cheap insurance to be sure. After that it will be range ready. Bill T.

http://www.mountsplus.com/miva/merchant.mv...all/LLR-SGR-NR1

When we used to test shoot them....we used Barrett,Summit and surplus 50bmg FMJ 650 grain ball. They would all hold about 1.5-2" in a 3 shot group at 100 yards. While that does not sound impressive. 3- 1/2" holes all touching looked pretty cool.

One thing I noticed when we did shoot them is that the groups remained the same to about 300 yards before they started opening up past 3". I never got the chance to shoot them past 300.

I do know when they went out and did some trials for the military.....that they got first round hits on 18x24" steel at 1800 yards. And also were able to put multiple hits on the same back to back. So to me......I believe they are accurate capable....especially with some good handloaded match quality stuff.

if maintaining mount/scope/ring integrity is your concern, by using rings, reducer rings, a mount and the actual receiver base you are opening up yourself for failures. i would reduce the number of variables, and go with rings that were the correct size for the scope, and mount them directly to the receiver.

the less possibilities for failure, the better, it also allows you to find the failure easier if you have one.

the rig looks pretty cool, though!!!!!!

Trapr

Bill, the rings are EDM'd not the "delrin" inserts, nor do I believe the inserts are specifically matched to the rings except by someone that pulled them out of a parts bin and put them into the same box as the rings.

That said, its just another tolerance for the scope to absorb during recoil, is all that was meant by my post.

trapr

Bill, the rings are EDM'd not the "delrin" inserts, nor do I believe the inserts are specifically matched to the rings except by someone that pulled them out of a parts bin and put them into the same box as the rings. trapr

This is my mistake for the confusion. The inserts supplied by Smith Enterprises are in fact STEEL and are matched to the rings. The rings reducers I have pictured are Delrin. I ordered them because the Brownell's catalog does not show, or specify that the steel inserts are included with each set of 30 MM Smith Enterprises Rings. This was a very pleasant surprise when I opened the box. I now have a set of Delrin inserts I have no use for. I'm not complaining because the steel inserts supplied with the Smith rings are double flanged, and fit the rings so exactly they "snap" into place. More ring makers should do this. It makes the rings far more adaptable to just about any scope manufactured. This is the Brownell's web page that added to the confusion. They don't mention the fact steel inserts are supplied, or show it in the photograph.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26094/P..._TACTICAL_RINGS

I'll most likely return the Delrin inserts with my next order. Bill T.

I'm curious why you choose 30mm rings for a 1" scope?

Simply because the Smith Enterprises Tactical Rings were the absolute strongest I could find. Not even the Badger Ordnance "Max 50" Rings have double cross bolts, or are wire EDM'd. These rings allow the strongest mounting possible for either a 1" or 30 MM scope, without having to change out rings. You pay for it, but you have the best, strongest, and most versatile mounting system available. Scopes, regardless of price or size, don't have a long life expectancy on a .50 BMG. I've talked to .50 shooters who have had the lenses fall out of $1,800.00+ Nightforces in less than 100 rounds. Bill T.

This is a good super slo-mo video of what happens to a scope on a .50 BMG.

This is a super expensive Accuracy International semi auto .50 BMG. The entire scope base lifts up as the scope flexes. For what A. I. charges for their weapons you would think they would provide a stronger set up. Bill T.

• 2 weeks later...

aceextralarge50bmgcase0.jpg

aceextralarge50bmgcase0l.jpg

These photos give you some idea of the sheer size of the Ace Extra Large .50 BMG Case, as well as it's construction. These were taken on my California King Brass Bed. The other case in the photos is a really nice Bucheimer that I use to transport my 30" barreled Browning Citori, and BT-99 Trap Guns in. Overall I'm pleased with it's construction, as well as it's size. Bill T.