Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does Dillon make cervical spines?

ChuckS

I had a herniated disc (C5-C6) diagnosed back in the 1990's. It caused some pinching of the C6 nerve root which affected my right hand. That's one reason why my weak had shooting is better than "strong" hand. Well, the exercises and stretches I would do to mitigate the pinch recently became ineffective so I went back through the HMO dance of exam, physical therapy, X-Ray, MRI, EMG and found out that I have issues with C5-C6 (the old one) and C6-C7 (the new and worse one). Slight posture changes can make my right arm go ~50-70% numb in just a few seconds. It could be a safety issue with a gun. In any case, I won't shoot any better because of it. All of the tests are done and I am going to surgery the first week of October. I haven’t shot since mid-July and I had to drop from the Nationals and Area 2. Perhaps I will be able to get to the WSSSC this year. Time will tell. I seem to heal a bit slower than I used to :rolleyes:

Later,

Chuck

Chuck,

Sorry to hear of your issues and not being able to shoot. It will not be Area 2 without seeing you there. Take care and get healed up quickly, the WSSSC comes up quickly in 2010. :cheers:

Neal in AZ (currently in Vegas at the Natonals)

Bummer. I am recovering from a similar injury where I could not grip a gun in my right hand three years ago-I thought it was over. After getting fixed I was better, but what really did it for me was Neuromuscular Massage Therapy-this is after surgery-not instead of-which helped unlock the atrophied and scarred muscle in my chest and right arm. A good NMT is hard to find, it's easier to find a good psychiatrist (I think there are about 12 of them), but they really know how to loosen up muscles that need to slide. It has been a slow steady progress, but I can do pushups now, ride a bicycle, and shooting has become a pleasure again. You live in an area that has a high concentration of excellent surgeons and you have been treated conservatively-which is good. I enjoy your posts and just wanted you to know it will get better and you will be shooting again, soon, probably better than before. Good luck.

I would suggest not waiting too long before getting it fixed.

I blew out the disks between C5/C6 and C6/T1 but they didn't catch it when I first went to the hospital. Over the next 9 months the numbness along the outer edge of my right forearmhand got progressively worse until I went back for CTs and MRIs. They eventually fused the three but the numbness and lack of dexterity and strength is still there (been 3.5 years since surgery).

Chuck,

Dillon was doing some R&D into cyborg technology, but with the unexpected withdrawl of our project partner, Cyberdyne systems, we are modifying the project into the development of a progressive 50BMG loading machine :unsure:

Seriously, hope you get better, we'll miss seeing you at Area 2 and look forward to seeing you at the WSSSC :cheers:

Chuck,

Dillon was doing some R&D into cyborg technology, but with the unexpected withdrawl of our project partner, Cyberdyne systems, we are modifying the project into the development of a progressive 50BMG loading machine :unsure:

Seriously, hope you get better, we'll miss seeing you at Area 2 and look forward to seeing you at the WSSSC :cheers:

Thanks anyhow! I am just not sure how a blue neck would work out. :rolleyes: See you at Rio!

Chuck,

Thanks anyhow! I am just not sure how a blue neck would work out. :rolleyes: See you at Rio!

Blue neck better than <family forum censored> :roflol:

I went into surgery at 1300 yesterday and was out of the hospital about noon today. Things hurt but not as much as I had expected. The good thing is that I already have seemed to have more positions that do not trigger the numbness.

I hope this is a trend!

Later,

Chuck

PS: I did like that little black push button that they had hooked up to the IV machine. Talk about happy hour...

I went into surgery at 1300 yesterday and was out of the hospital about noon today. Things hurt but not as much as I had expected. The good thing is that I already have seemed to have more positions that do not trigger the numbness.

I hope this is a trend!

Later,

Chuck

PS: I did like that little black push button that they had hooked up to the IV machine. Talk about happy hour...

Remember sharing is caring :cheers:

Glad you are feeling better Chuck

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

It's 16 days after surgery and I went to Norco and shot a match! :cheers:

The match went well and it is real nice to have a strong strong-hand again. I will know more when the scores get posted but it felt real good!

Things are going excellent. Thanks for all your best wishes, they are paying off!

Later,

Chuck

PS: The medical leave has allowed me to score some primers and bullets by surfing the websites a few times a day ;)

Have they got you into a physical therapy program? If they do, follow it religiously and don't stop when things start to feel better.

I had my spine problems lower down, with spinal stenosis affecting my legs /w pain and weakness. Got the epidural injections, etc. I was 'this close' [two fingers held 1/4" apart ] from opting for the surgery, but while waiting for 2nd opinion and doing PT things improved enough to give me 2nd thoughts. Now it's been nearly 2 years since that episode, and I'm back to worrying about other aches and pains. But I start the day with about a half hour of PT exercises designed to stretch the nerves to my legs and strengthen back and leg muscles.

Have they got you into a physical therapy program? If they do, follow it religiously and don't stop when things start to feel better.

I had my spine problems lower down, with spinal stenosis affecting my legs /w pain and weakness. Got the epidural injections, etc. I was 'this close' [two fingers held 1/4" apart ] from opting for the surgery, but while waiting for 2nd opinion and doing PT things improved enough to give me 2nd thoughts. Now it's been nearly 2 years since that episode, and I'm back to worrying about other aches and pains. But I start the day with about a half hour of PT exercises designed to stretch the nerves to my legs and strengthen back and leg muscles.

Yup, I go a week from Thursday. It is written for "Increase Range of Motion". It will be interesting if there is anything new here since I have had a program to follow for the last 15 years. The good thing about getting old is that you have probably done most stupid stuff at least once. I will follow the instructions this time.

Thanks for the tip!

Chuck