Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
mark dye

difference between #6 and #8 front sight

I was looking at some new sights for a Sig 226 that I keep on the nightstand. There was an option for either a #6 or #8 front sight. Does anyone know the measurements for each so that I will know which I need to order?

Mark Dye

I dont know the measurements but it should be stamped on the sight mine is on the left side of it.

I have a 226 stainless in 9 and it is a 8 front

What caliber is your P226 chambered for? For 9mm and .40, the norm is a #8 rear and a #6 front-for .357 SIG it's a #8 rear and a #8 front.

If your shooting both .357 SIG and .40, I'd suggest going with the #8, as POA/POI with .357 SIG will be the center, and with the .40 barrel a 6 o'clock POA will yield a center POI.

Best, Jon

Information from Sig (and aftermarket sight manufacturers) regarding night sights:

9MM OR 357SIG - #8 FRONT/#8 REAR

40S&W OR 45ACP - #6 FRONT/#8 REAR

This may help...I found it on another website

"For rear sights, the higher the number, the taller the sight. For front sights, the higher the number, the shorter the sight. This can be confusing to remember.

The easiest way to think of it is, numbers up, groups up; numbers down, groups down. This is true for both front and rear sights.

Each number change on the rear sight will affect POI 2" per 25 yds. Each number change on the front sight will affect POI 1" per 25 yds."

Sig Front Sight Heights

#5 = 6.01mm (0.235 inches)

#6 = 5.88mm (0.230 inches)

#7 = 5.74mm (0.225 inches)

#8 = 5.60mm (0.220 inches)

#9 = 5.46mm (0.215 inches)

#10 = 5.32mm (0.210 inches)

Information from Sig (and aftermarket sight manufacturers) regarding night sights:

9MM OR 357SIG - #8 FRONT/#8 REAR

40S&W OR 45ACP - #6 FRONT/#8 REAR

For me, my old eyes, and my P226 40 cal, the standard factory stock 6 front, 8 rear, makes me shoot about 2-3 inches too low using a "Center Hold" sight picture.

I'm calling SIG today to order an 8 front, hoping that 8 and 8 will work better for me and the "Center Hold" sight picture that I prefer.

I'm sure it is an individual preference thing ... what works for me may not be best for you.

Ken

Ordered the TFO Front Sight in Size 8

Edited by ctkenc

Just FYI in the future, Top Gun Supply also carries a LOT of Sig parts including sights and they are great to work with, super fast shipping.

http://Sigsightheightcharts.jpg

http://Sigsightcombinationchart.jpg

The lower chart is relative impact differences (in inches) at 25 yds.  So if you had an 8/8 combo that hit where you wanted it, and you switch to a #6 front, it would impact 2" lower.

Edited by JAFO