Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Keyboard errors on boot - can't get to BIOS

Dave Gundry

Sorry to post 2 in a row, but this problem has me confused...

Setup the new computer, and bought a new cheap ($15) USB keyboard. I was getting some sort of keyboard error that wouldn't let me access the BIOS, so I borrowed an old HP PS2 keyboard which works perfectly. So I returned the USB keyboard and bought a cheap ($5) PS2 keyboard... but now I have the same issue. Additionally, both faulty keyboards would not work occasionally (maybe only after trying to enter BOIS?) Has anyone seen this issue before or have any recommendations?

(running XP Pro loaded from sp1 disc on intel P4 & motherboard)

Thanks,

Dave

It's been a while since I used this type of system, but if I remember correctly, the BIOS has a on off switch for the type of keyboard. If you can get into the BIOS with one of the keyboards, check that out. Also, if you can download SP2, that has a correction allowing USB type keyboards. Basically you are on the cusp of when PS/2 keyboards were phased out and the particular BIOS in your computer may not know what IRQ to put your keyboard in. Best I can do, hope it helps.

1) Go into the BIOS with the KB that works and look for Legacy keyboard support and/or USB keyboard support and turn both on. It may slow your boot time down by a second or so but it will allow you to use the USB keyboard in the BIOS/on boot.

2) This will sound silly but, have you been plugging and unplugging the PS/2 Keyboard while the system is on? It may not be an issue BUT, I have seen some cases where a keyboard BIOS got fried by doing that. My old manager at a computer store would do that on the demo PC out front to keep people from messing with it and fried about 4 motherboards keyboard bios' that way before he let us lock the OS down instead.

GrahmSmith gives some REALLY good advice about updating to the latest and greatest BIOS revision no matter what. That can fix a *lot* of little issues you will have all over the place with both the OS and proper support for hardware.

As Jadeslade said Upgrade to the latest and greatest SP for your version of windows. XP is on SP3 now and it fixes a lot of stuff you can run into in the OS level including proper USB 2.0 support.

• 8 months later...