Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 597 VTR

Revopop

I saw one of these at Gander Mountain tonight, felt like an AR in the hands. The first gun I ever owned was a 597. It was a jamomatic, but I was young and didn't know about how to properly keep a gun clean. If this thing is reliable, it may be a good low cost .22 practice option that feels like an AR.

Anybody else's impressions?

I haven't handled this on yet or seen it in person. I have fondled the Colt 22 AR and the S&W 22 AR and they both feel like toys. I haven't shot one yet though so please bear that in mind. I still think the way to go is the 10/22 with the Nordic AR conversion. It allows you to rig up your 10/22 to be very similar to your competiton gun and the weight shoudl even be very similar. Plus the 10/22 is about as reliable of a 22LR platform as it gets.

Just my $.02 for what its worth.

To me, if the goal is to just do some shooting then the VTR or any other 22 with an AR-like setup is ok. If you want to spend time training on the other facets of competing such as mag changes, jam clears, speed drills, target acquisition, then I think either a 22 conversion or a dedicated 22 upper is the best route. This way you are using the same size mags, gear, lower receiver, optic/irons, etc. Practice helps build muscle memory so the more change you introduce (mag release, mag size, trigger break/reset) the more difficult it is going to be for your body to learn. That's just my .02

I went with a dedicated upper, Model 1 Sales. Set it up just like my 3 gun upper.

Cost was about $600. Love it. Well worth the money.

Liked the fact the Black Dog mags are same size as standard AR mags.

Finally bought a Spikes 22LR lower, nothing wrong with having another 22.

I have put over 1200 rounds down it. Much cheaper for practice on short range.

For me... 597's handguard is too short. The controls are different. The trigger will be different.

I have 10/22 with a Nordic and a Ciener kit for my AR.

I like the conversion kit route better.

One of the things I do with the .22 is weapons transitions... dumping the pistol and picking up the rifle... dumping the rifle on a table and picking up the shotgun... etc.

The controls on the 597 and 10/22 are just too different for these drills.