Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Iron Sights

RaymondMillbrae

Personally, I've found the Hiviz sights to be a bit lacking for durability. Truglo sights seem to be built a little better. The one below is what I've been using mounted on a vent rib the last couple years (with the Standard front sight, not the globe), and it's been satisfactory. You can get it with interchangeable ghost ring or notch rear. I've come to prefer the notch, with the fiber optic removed. I like fo front sights, but found that it was a distraction on the rear sight.

http://www.truglo.com/content/products/fir...bead_turkey.asp

I don't know how much trouble HiViz sights could be, i've had the same one on my M1 for the last 8yrs without ANY issues.

I would highly recommend them, I do not have any experience with truglo, because I've never had reason to change from the HiViz.

trapr

Thanks for all the replies, guys!

Here's the deal, I am going to use my 870P for HD...and to start 3-gunning.

Then a bit later (when my wifey cools down about all the money I've been spending on my toys), I will be purchasing an FN SLP to 3-gun with. (It will also double as a HD weapon, so the longer barreled one is out of the question).

My 870P is NOT RIBBED, so I will be adding a medium-height front sight to it, in conjunction to an elevated rear sight.

So for now...I ended-up going with the HiViz Tac1001-M front sight. (It was ordered onTuesday or Wednesday).

b205768016.jpg

I believe it will be a great front sight to have for HD and 3-gunning.

But now I need to consider what rear sight I want to place on my Remmy.

I do not want a fiber optic rear sight. (Too busy). But I am curious if the rear sight needs to be a specific height to coinside with the front site.

Can I use any elevated rear sight with this front sight? (My buddy went shooting the other day, and met someone who had a front and rear sight from 2 differet manufacturers - and was unable to get the shots on paper).

I was also thinking...does anyone make a flip-up rear sight with a ghost ring on one end, and a regular notched "V" on the other end? Now THAT would be a great seller!! (Ghost ring for slugs, and notched for bird/pellet).

I will call HiViz later today to find out about the rear sight height - but I am pretty sure they will recommend one of their products.

If you can shed some input, I'd appreciate it.

In Christ: Raymond

Edited by RaymondMillbrae

Good Googely-Goo!!

Now that I am looking at the bead on my front sight, I do not think it is a removeable bead.

b202535402.jpg

Geesh!!

And on top of that, lookey at where my rear sight needs to get mounted.

b205769154.jpg

I think I ordered the wrong HiViz front sight...as the package says it is for a REMOVEABLE front bead sight.

*sigh*

I guess I'll deal with it when it gets here.

So close, yet so far away!!

Your front bead may be removable put a little bit of hit on it and grab it with good stout pliers and give it a twist counterclockwise if it unscrews you can simply replace the bead with a screw in FO from HiViz or Brownell's. if it is a press fit bead then you have simply removed it to get it out of the way. You have a couple of options on that, the easiest would be to simply buy a screw in FO front that will drop down into the hole and Black Loctite it in place. For the rear sight you will have to go with a low profile rear or you will end up with the sights not regulating properly. You may be able to simply paint a small white stripe in the middle of your receiver to index the front sight off of, the stripe should run inline with the barrel but far enough back on the receiver for you to see it when the gun is mounted, a 1/2" to 3/4" long should do.

the other thing is you may be able to have a Gunsmith cut a dovetail into the front sight pedestal and mount a low profile FO pistol sight in it.

For all its trouble, you would probably be better off simply painting the existing bead bright yellow or red or orange and just shoot it. FO's are nice but not necessary to get started in the sport. i shot without one for 2 or 3 years on my SG, while I was looking for a 21" barrel.

trapr

We use the 870 at my department and I have shot it at a couple of matches. I am not as fast as I should be with the pump and I wish the gun I was issued had a longer tube, but I grew up shooting a shotgun with a bead front sight and am scared I would shoot a LOT slower with a different sighting system setup. Most of the guys and gals I work with have no trouble putting slugs on paper out to 25 yards with the bead sight. I'm sure it will get tougher on longer shots.

Your front bead may be removable put a little bit of hit on it and grab it with good stout pliers and give it a twist counterclockwise if it unscrews you can simply replace the bead with a screw in FO from HiViz or Brownell's. if it is a press fit bead then you have simply removed it to get it out of the way.

Geesh, Trapr...

maybe it was option #3 - "None of the above".

b205790935.jpg

b205790934.jpg

Darn thing snapped-off in the vice grips.

Well...I guess I gotta wait for the front sight to get here, see what I have, and go from there.

Option #4 is to take it to Frank around the corner (TABOR'S SHOOTERS) , and let him do his magic on it.

Bummer!!

or option #4, don't listen to Trapr!!!!!!!!!! :roflol:

Now that the front post is a NON-issue??????? I'd ask Frank, to see about cutting a dovetail into the raised platform, or drill and tap it to accept a screw in FO front. If after all that, you still can't get a sight figured out, pm me and I have a special answer for you.

Ray, I had guys on the forum pming me and betting money i couldn't get you to just break it off, we'll talk about a split for the money later :rolleyes:

Trapr

BigBrownDog,

don't sweat it, brother.

I beeze a big boy, and I choose my own path...which means I accept responsibility for my own actions.

It's my own fault for not doing more research on the subject...before running all half-cocked and cranking on the bead with a set of vice grips like an ostrich on crack.

I have Dremeled it flush with the top of the rectangular steel base, and I will await the arrival of the front sight.

I'm pretty sure Frank will be able to drill and tap a new hole in the rectangular steel base for the new HiViz FO sight.

Here's somthing I found a little too late. (Murphy's Law, huh).

PS: I'll PM you my PayPal addy, and I expect HALF of the immorally gained proceeds! :P

Most later year model Remington shotgun barrels have the bead "staked" in place

this is where a hole is drilled and then the bead itself is placed into the hole and then the metal at the top of the hole is depressed to deform it which in turn holds the bead in place

to get it out is fairly easy "sometimes" but other times is a booger

one can remove the bead with a good pair of side cutters with the rib protected to keep from marring it. simply grip the bead with the cutters gently enough not to cut it but holding it firmly, then pull upwards while twisting it to get it out

if this does not work and you break the bead itself off , then i recommend a milling machine to mill it flat with the top of the rib and then using a beadsight to cover the existing hole by drilling and tapping behind this factory hole enough to utilize a long style bead which will cover the factory hole once it is done correctly

the hole is not threaded if you remove the bead so it must be tapped with the correct thread to enable a screw in type bead

a 6x48 thread size is the norm for this as the hole is the correct size for tapping this thread once you get the bead off

the 6x48 thread is a gun related size thread only and you will not find a tap this size at your local harware store, so taking it to a smith is the best route

the staked sight was what I was refering to when I said "press fit" I was thinking more swaged but knew that wasn't the right word. Either way the process was pretty much what I had said.

Immorally gained goods?????????? come on you know God has a great sense of humor!!!!!! Why else did he put me in your path. :rolleyes:

Trapr

the staked sight was what I was refering to when I said "press fit" I was thinking more swaged but knew that wasn't the right word.

Trapr,

I've been reading a few other articles on these "raised beads" (mounted onto steel bases), and they say that "swaging" is something else they do to it.

As a matter of fact, I have heard that the bead post may also be "flanged," which makes it even trickier to remove.

I think mine was screwed-on, pressed, swaged, flanged, and then squirted with red loc-tite! :P

I guess I learned something new today.

And yesterday I learned not to listen to Trapr. Ha ha ha.

By the way, the HiViz sight arrived today, and I realized that I should never have touched the front bead.

Why?

Because I could have just mounted the sight BEHIND the bead.

Duh!!

Anyhoo, here are a few initial pictures of the sight. You can also see the front steel base where the bead was removed and the top was Dremeled flat.

The FO sights are incredibly bright, and I was impressed.

I will head over to Tabors (gunsmith) on Monday and have him drill and tap some mounting holes to install the sight.

I guess, to be on the safe side, I'll also install some HiViz FO rear sights as well. This way I know the front and rear sights will co-inside with each other.

I'll post more pictures later.

PS: I was so impressed, that I am going to install some DAWSON PRECISION FO front sights onto my Nighthawk Predator.

b205883521.jpg

b205883522.jpg

b205883523.jpg

b205883524.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to end this thread with a final note:

I installed the HiViz FO front sight myself, and while I was at it, I also installed an LPA ghost ring sight as well.

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE INSTALL TUTORIAL I MADE (Or go to the GUNSMITHING FORUM to check it out).

I test-fired it last night with my wife, and I am grinning from ear to ear!!

Bottom line...I made the right choice!

Thanks again for a great thread.

PS: JSNeff, I did take a look at the sights you posted (MidwayUSA), but they were not to my liking. I wanted a rear sight that was adjustable, and also with a narrower ghost ring. (Most ghost ring sights are thick and beefy). On top of that, the front sight needed to be brazed on, which I am not profecient enough to do. (I could braze it, but I do not know enough about refinishing the barrel to match the existing finish).

Thanks for all the replies, guys!

Here's the deal, I am going to use my 870P for HD...and to start 3-gunning.

Then a bit later (when my wifey cools down about all the money I've been spending on my toys), I will be purchasing an FN SLP to 3-gun with. (It will also double as a HD weapon, so the longer barreled one is out of the question).

I don't have 1/10 of the experience of most of the guys here, so take this for what it is worth. Don't make your 3-gun shotgun pull double duty. Get the SLP Mark I for the longer barrel and more importantly, the added magazine capacity. Keep the 870 for HD.

Way ahead of you, VespidWasp.

Once I installed the fiber optic front sight, and ghost ring rear sight on my Remmy 870P, it will not get further additions.

I will be 3-gunning with it for now...and then (in the near future), I will be purchasing the FN SLP (or maybe the Mark I) to play with.