Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Shot Flyer Issues with XD Tactical

Boyd

I have a fairly new XD Tactical 9MM. It seems to consistently throw the first shot about 3" high and 8" left, then settles down and groups fairly well. It shoots this way for me and for a friend who has finished #2 at the Bianchi Cup (He knows how to shoot groups!) I'm a lefty and my friend is right handed.

Have others had these issues and are there fixes for the factory barrel you could suggest? I need to use this gun with frangible ammo (I work P/T at a police academy where this is the only ammo allowed). The academy frangible ammo really hates Barsto Barrels.

Thanks

-MB

I have a fairly new XD Tactical 9MM. It seems to consistently throw the first shot about 3" high and 8" left, then settles down and groups fairly well. It shoots this way for me and for a friend who has finished #2 at the Bianchi Cup (He knows how to shoot groups!) I'm a lefty and my friend is right handed.

Have others had these issues and are there fixes for the factory barrel you could suggest? I need to use this gun with frangible ammo (I work P/T at a police academy where this is the only ammo allowed). The academy frangible ammo really hates Barsto Barrels.

Thanks

-MB

Does it only have the first round flyer with frangible ammo or with everything? Generally, the first round flyer problem is more of a lockup/fit issue than a barrel type/style issue. R,

I would replace the recoil spring and see if you notice any difference. I would also lock back the slide and load the first round with chambering the first round from slide lock and see if you get a more consistent first shot.

Also check the rear of the barrel to make sure it is closing and locking up equally on both sides of the hood.

Good luck,

DougC

A few years, just before the USPSA nationals, we had just gotten done shooting a ICORE match at rio salado. Rob L. showed up and set up a target about 15yrd away and he had several brand new xd tacticals 9mm and proceeded to shoot each one to find the best ones for the nationals. His first shot on each one was to the upper left corner of the head, the rest were all in the center A zone of the head. Just chewed the a hole out of the target. Any one who has seen him shoot first hand ,will just shake there head at how unreal he is. Anyways, he said that all the ones he's shot do the same thing, and that they will never get a xd to lock up like a 1911, just have to accept the flyer.

hope this helps and you don't pull your hair out over having a flyer.

Edited by JohnRodriguez

The problem seems related most to frangible. It still happens with other loads. I will try welding up the bbl first.

Thanks for the tips. In 25+ years of USPSA etc, I've never had such dramatic goup variations

-MB

Edited by Boyd

I need to use this gun with frangible ammo (I work P/T at a police academy where this is the only ammo allowed). The academy frangible ammo really hates Barsto Barrels.

Today I used the frangible you gave me through my XDM w/ Barsto and it grouped fine and no fliers.

What Doug said has worked for me in several autopistols.

Loading the 1st round by tripping the slide-stop seems to shrink the flyer's distance by about 50%.

No one knows for sure why but something about barrel lock-up or throwing the round all the way to the front of headspace, those are good guesses.

I have 2 XDs. Both were shipped to California to have Mr. Stone of Barsto barrels hand fit them. Both of my XDs throw the first shot. I've tried pulling the slide all of the way to the rear to chamber a round, from the slide stop, different types of jacketed and cast bullets--all to no avail. I've shot some NRA Action with these guns. I shoot the first round at the 10yd. stage where accuracy is the most generous and then I keep the gun hot through the balance of the stage. That way I only have to deal with the flier once per 48 shots. You can do the same at a Steel Challenge match. I agree that it has to do with how tight the guns lock up. I shoot the factory recoil spring weight. Going lighter will only make the problem worse. After the first shot both guns group really well.