Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Browning sweet 16

hopalong

What is the going rate for a belgium sweet 16 at 80-85% ?

a few specifics

Improved CYL

NO rib, but the top of the barrell is checkered, has base for the bead but the bead is missing.

A few rub spots on the barrel above the mag cap. Mag cap was tightend/loosened with pliers.

Wood looks good, but has dents in them. I think I can get them out with steam though.

Thanks in advance.

Hop

What is the going rate for a belgium sweet 16 at 80-85% ?

a few specifics

Improved CYL

NO rib, but the top of the barrell is checkered, has base for the bead but the bead is missing.

A few rub spots on the barrel above the mag cap. Mag cap was tightend/loosened with pliers.

Wood looks good, but has dents in them. I think I can get them out with steam though.

Thanks in advance.

Hop

Thats a tough one to figure out there. I know the price is up there, at 80% it probably is still worth more than a new Remington auto. Not sure though. Had one 12-14 yrs ago and it went for around $600 back then. I bet someone here has a blue book and could check the value for you.

Don't get the the pliers and the mag cap??

Flyin

Sam,

That's a matted rib barrel. It has great cool factor but not much more.

There are a blue million A5s out there. This one sounds well used. Don't pay a premium in the described condition. If you would need or want to get out from under it, you'll find it has too many flaws for the collector types.

Assuming it's a 2 3/4" gun, I wouldn't (personally) put more than $500 in it. Frankly, I doubt you could get $500 out of it should you need to move it. The bead missing also lowers the value but not the "shootability". The bead is irrelevant for wingshooting.

If it's a 2 1/2" gun, I'd steer clear. It's not in collector condition and shells will be pricey.

Dave

Sam,

That's a matted rib barrel. It has great cool factor but not much more.

There are a blue million A5s out there. This one sounds well used. Don't pay a premium in the described condition. If you would need or want to get out from under it, you'll find it has too many flaws for the collector types.

Assuming it's a 2 3/4" gun, I wouldn't (personally) put more than $500 in it. Frankly, I doubt you could get $500 out of it should you need to move it. The bead missing also lowers the value but not the "shootability". The bead is irrelevant for wingshooting.

If it's a 2 1/2" gun, I'd steer clear. It's not in collector condition and shells will be pricey.

Dave

The Sweet 16 is the light version. The more I thought about it I realized it.

A-5 are common but not the Sweet 16. You can find them easily but there are not alot of them and your going to pay.

Flyin

After I posted about the chamber issue I did a little search. The actual length of the short chamber is 2 9/16, and if you would believe it, Browning still has a program to rechamber these guns. Thats a service recall on a product that may be 50 or more years old. I find that unique.---------------Larry

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a 90%-95% Belgium made Sweet Sixteen for $450.00. I would not have bothered with a standard weight A5; the Sweet Sixteen is the best of the bread IMHO. The A5 is a cool old school gun that oozes old world craftsmanship, I like them. The weight of a SS should be 6 3/4 to 7 pounds.

Did you know that they will cycle faster than a benelli?

I agree with Airedale, not more than $500.00.

Check if the gun has the speedfeed carrier, you will know it does if you can push the carrier up to load the magazine without depressing the bolt release button. If the gun has speedfeed it should have been made sometime after 1952 or 53 and will be a 2 3/4 gun.

2 9/16 chambers when out in the late 30's, but I disremmber when.