Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

From the start I'll say that this isn't a joke....I'm really curious.

Last night it occured to me that I've heard of exceptions to almost every male or female dominated profession out there...i.e. male professional cheerleader (genius!) or female diesel mechanic...you name it, but I have never, ever heard of a femal gunsmith. Has anybody ever known one? I'd think that in many ways they'd have some advantages to men since women typically hav better fine motor skills and dexterity...that would have to be a huge plus for something like engraving or fine checkering. Anyway if you know one or know of one, I'd love to hear it. R,

Ever heard of Greider Precision? Now in California and best know for their triggers and slide stops.

Ginny Greider was customizing 1911s for IPSC in Abilene, Tx in the 1980s.

If I had a scanner, I'd scan in the American Handgunner feature article, but it's available here for a price http://www.americanhandgunner.com/AHArticles1984.html

HMA8445 / Lady Pistolsmith by Sam Baiocco / May/June 1984 / Ginny Greider — a profile / page 45

Cool, I'm glad to hear there are/have been a few. I wonder if that's not a huge, huge, huge marketing possibility? A solid female 'smith that could cater to female shooters and some of their more common requests/needs....with more and more women shooting and getting their CCW it could be a smart business model.

That's IT....eureka, my wife needs a milling machine :roflol:

Cool, I'm glad to hear there are/have been a few. I wonder if that's not a huge, huge, huge marketing possibility? A solid female 'smith that could cater to female shooters and some of their more common requests/needs....with more and more women shooting and getting their CCW it could be a smart business model.

That's IT....eureka, my wife needs a milling machine :roflol:

Becareful there. LOL. You might get what you wish for.

Though I don't recall a female pistolsmith (aside from Stroud). I have met a couple of women in the rifle business...one built fancy stocked hunting rifles with her husband (can't recall her name). There are a number of women that do gunstock checkering and engraving. Kay Miculek used to stick 10/22's together at Clarks before I worked there.

Hey, if this stuff were easy...even girls could do it!!!! LOL

Mark Dye

Have heard good things about Marianne Carniak in Michigan

I had a friend who was one of the folks who started USPSA matches in Central Ohio, and who had several guns by Russ Carniak, Marianne's father. I bought one of them from him, a neat Combat Elite switch-top .45ACP with two barrels, one compensated and one not. This was in the open-sight days, so it was a neat gun to have for USPSA matches back then. My freind would look forward to seeing Russ at Camp Perry each year, and then passed the word that Marianne was doing work, too, and when Russ passed on, she had taken over the business.

I Googled, and I cannot find that she has her own web page, but the shop is apparently call "The Accurizer Shop". There is a web page of her work and photos of her guns at Michigan Gunslingers Web Site. Search for "Carniak", and click on the link at the end of the paragraph (sorry, can't link directly to it).

Looks like some very nice work!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Carniak custom Series 70 Officer model that will feed empty brass. It was purchased after Russ had one of his early heart attacks and was almost certainly done by Marianne. When I met her she was working out of the basement of her dad's house in Royal Oak.