Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What springs are you running in your 226?

Z32MadMan

In my external extractor P226s I run 14-lb Wolff conventional recoil springs on slightly oversized stainless steel guide rods. I usually run 17-lb Wolff mainsprings just to be safe when it comes to primer ignition. I have used 16-lb mainsprings before, but they lose their strength too fast and light primer strikes are annoying at a match.

In my X-Five Allround that has a internal extractor I am sticking with the factory braided recoil spring. The internal extractor has been extremely unreliable for me in the three months that I've owned the Allround. Using the stock recoil spring helps slow the unlocking time and should allow the chamber pressure to decrease enough that case adhesion isn't so great that the extractor slips. As for the mainspring, it's light, but I can't say for sure.

• 1 month later...

As stated, anything less than a 17lb mainspring and you can't get reliable ignition without some serious work with changing leverages, hammer rest point, and balancing all the other springs to work with the lighter mainspring.

Recoil spring weight is pretty subjective and just depends on what will work reliably with your load, if your running factory ammo or close to it then a factory spring usually works as well as anything else and will last longer than single strand springs.

Edited by Rln_21