Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much "flair" is appropriate? Pics of any examples?

seeds76

I judge the flare by setting the bullet. If it will not stand up in the case you don't have enough. Lead and molly bullets work better with a little more flare than jacketed or plated. Bevel base makes a difference too. I just shoot for the minimum that allows the bullet to sit while the press functions. You'll know you need more when you smash a couple of cases with sideways bullets.

How do I know when there is enough or too little flair on the brass? Can anyone provide any close up pictures? I'm reloading 9mm right now.

Thanks

Belling the case mouth, or "flare" as you put it is important in pistol cases but sould not be overdone. BMartens indicates that the bullet should sit straight in the case as one indicator. While I agree with this pretty much for plated or jacketed bullets, for lead you must make sure that there is enough bell so that the bullet is not shaved and that the lube is not scraped off on the side of the case on the way in. Overdoing it will not gain anything and may shorten case life, but enough so you can see it and the bullet enters cleanly should do the trick.

Just as everyone above has stated, you want just enough for the bullet to stand up and not shave any material off when seating the bullet. Remember all the "flair" you put into it has to be takin' out with the crimp die at the end.

Best of luck to ya

BRAD

Just as everyone above has stated, you want just enough for the bullet to stand up and not shave any material off when seating the bullet. Remember all the "flair" you put into it has to be takin' out with the crimp die at the end.

Best of luck to ya

BRAD

Like everyone else said, just enough to get the bullet in without shaving it. The more flair you put on, the more stress there will be on the top of the casing. If you flare too much then eventually you the top of the case will start cracking. So flairing as little as possible will extend your case's life. Check out Brian Enos's reloading DVD. It has some good info.

Another way to judge is that the flair will be only slightly apparent to the eye, but more easily felt with your more sensitive fingers. That works for me for just the right amount of bell for jacketed bullets.

Lead pistol bullets are usually sized 0.001" larger than jacketed. That, and being softer, means they need a bit more bell for seating without bullet shaving. How much more is sort of trial and error, but it isn't huge.

With jacketed I basically use none. The bevel on the back of the round will let the bullet sit in the case. The less stress you put on the brass the better. I load them many many times and rarely have a case split before the primers are falling out because the pocket is too big.

I set the bullet on the case and give it a slight turn like starting a screw and then release gently looking at the bullet to make sure it sitting okay. They don't have to be perfect either. You would be surprised how far they can sit off center and still seat fine, again this is for jacketed only. You shave lead and you will have all sorts of issues.

JT

Edited by JThompson

How do I know when there is enough or too little flair on the brass? Can anyone provide any close up pictures? I'm reloading 9mm right now.

Thanks

I had a little trouble figuring it out at first too. Couldn't find any pictures either. I just tried to get by with the minimum and shaved some plating off. Adjusted it a little bit and badabing, perfect. I agree with everyone. I like to have just enough to stand the bullet, but not shave off any lead or lube. It is enough to feel with your fingers. Some times there is a little variation in the size of the cast bullets, but a little twist will get it to stand straight enough to start the seating process. Good luck, have fun and be anal about safety!

• 2 weeks later...

From the Dillon manual:

"You'll soon learn to judge the correct amount of bell by simply looking at it. In the meantime, you might want to use your dial calipers to check it. Twenty thousandths of an inch greater (at the mouth of the case) than the original diameter, should about do it."

Hope this helps. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm brand new to reloading too...have dialed in the 2nd station to provide just under .02 inches. Powder and projectiles are headed via fedex. Looking forward to crankin' out some rounds.

From the Dillon manual:

"You'll soon learn to judge the correct amount of bell by simply looking at it. In the meantime, you might want to use your dial calipers to check it. Twenty thousandths of an inch greater (at the mouth of the case) than the original diameter, should about do it."

Hope this helps. :)