Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When to load ammo

L-10_shooter

I load 2-4 thousand over a week or so. That way I'm good for a couple of months. Major match ammo may only be a thousand or so at a time. I never wait until the last second and always have a minimum of 3 thousand 9 major's ready to rock.

I load 300 to 500 rds a session with multiple sessions over a week or two, enough for a few months. Major match ammo gets special treatment, in terms of quality control, and is done up well in advance (got enough on my mind before a major without dealing with ammo production, and my press has gone down more than a couple times over the years, so best for it to be done with and out of the way).

I just shot a local match where I ended up shooting a 38 round field course THREE times (REF twice) - a hundred rounds gone just like that. I've had, and seen others with, gun problems that used up a lot of match ammo in function fire.

At least one and a half times the minimum round count will be what I bring to the Nats. I'm driving down with the ammo for several buddies, and they're all sending about the same.