Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What happens when you bend a charging handle?

Sterling White

Would like to share an experience I had happen to me at the Ironman this year. Half the squad went to the zip line to go zoom while the remaining half stayed at the trap house to shoot clays and rifle. I made the decision to go prone on top of the house for the rifle targets instead of kneeling behind it. After the sixth or seventh shot I had a malfunction. In a hurry I grabbed the charging handle and racked it to clear the jam and reload the gun. In doing so I noticed that the bolt had not gone all the way forward into battery so I hit the forward assist a couple of times; got back into the gun; fire one shot and the gun jammed. The guys said I futzed with the gun for 10-15 seconds before asking for a backup rifle (allowed at this match) -- luckily Bevin Grahams stepped forward with his and I was able to clear the remaining targets.

Afterward we took the rifle apart and what we found was a bent charging handle. In the midst of trying to clear the first jam I wrenched the handle beyond operation limits. Lucky for me one of the guys on the squad from Techwear had several spare handles in his shooting bag. After it was handed to me to try I notice that this handle really had a handle on it.

We put the new one in the gun and started playing with it. I realized that the design was pretty freakin cool. I think the handle reduces stress caused during the "racking" action by more evenly distributing the forces. Could be wrong but think this little mod will reduce the chances of warping or bending.

Below are pics showing the bent handle, the new one next to the old one, and the handle that changes your hold.

post-787-1252127617_thumb.jpg

post-787-1252127629_thumb.jpg

post-787-1252127639_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sterling White

I put a tac latch on one of my carbines and noticed that it causes binding while operating the charging handle. I shoot Iron sights on all of my ARs so I really didn't need it anyway, so I just went back to a regular latch. I will add a spare to my bag though. You are not the first person that I have heard about having charging handle problems at a match.

Hurley

All of these suggestions are good ones. Had a conversation with Matt B three or four years ago. At that time I looked at the products that you suggested. Never anticipated having a problem.

The folks over at TW asked if I would evaluate this product and get back to them. When I visited with them recently I asked if they are or have considered using a steel charging handle instead of the aluminum. They are considering it however there are factors that will influence their decision, i.e., supply/demand, machine cost etc.

As it stands today I would give this product a thumbs up!

I had the same issue at the NTPS Tennessee Tactical 3Gun years ago, went to a steel charging handle and have had no issues since. I even moved that same steel charging handle to my new JP gun for good measure. I use the PRI on my non-competition rifles, and it is solid as well. IMO if you are running a really long tac latch, like the Badger, you should consider the steel one. The real issue is under stress of a jam on the clock, we all torque the charging handle with a gorilla grip, and if you bend it, you just created the jamomatic from hell.

I think the handle reduces stress caused during the "racking" action by more evenly distributing the forces.

Sterling,

I respectfully have to disagree with this. That big old handle on an aluminum charge handle will in all likelyhood increase the amount of stress (force) you are able to impart onto it. If you were to do the same thing that happened at Ironman (but with that mod) I would bet you will bend it worse or flat out break it. If you need the ambi feature of that thing, you may have something beneficial, but the engineer in me has me thinking it might cause more problems than it solves. Steel is what I use and recomend. Have abused it to the point that no charge handle should have to endure and it keeps on working.

Ever have a stuck screw? And the screwdriver you have wont budge it? Then you get a screwdriver with a larger handle and viola, screw comes out. Everything else is equal in that equation except the surface area of the object you are holding. Same principal, the more contact your hand/fingers make the more force you are able to apply to an object.

Ever have a stuck screw?
Yes and I have met a few people with some that are loose! We need to make a call to the guys over at myth busters....! Someone with an engineering background and a little time should be able to test the mechanics of the device to see if it decreases or increases tork on an aluminum charging handle. All I know is that it works! And yes I agree with you that steel may be the end all solution.

Yikes! I need to remember to throw an extra charging handle in my bag next match.

Only other bent charging handle I have seen was done by UPS on an upper ordered from Midway. Looked like it had been run over by a truck. The charging handle was still in the upper, but the end of it was sideways, parallel with the upper.

I really like the tech latch. It is a perfect design for scoped rifles. As for durability of charging handles it all lies in the fact that a lot of people want to grab just one side of the thing when they rack the rifle....A LA Badger tac-latches, this torques the hell out of them and then your done. The Tech latch allows for a more even pull when you grab both sides of the latch. Like I said for an optic rifle it is the cat's well you know. KurtM