Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Our 19 year old cat.

DarthMuffin

Just got back from Euthanizing our 19 year old tortoise shell tabby cat, Micro. She was in the end stages of kidney failure and didn't have much of a quality of life.

But 19 for a cat is a good stretch. She raised my son (or so she thought), who's 21 and in the Army now. She'd wash his face every night before he slept and she'd sleep at the foot of the bed between him and the door. Anyone who came in to disturb him would get a stern talking to by Micro. If there were ever a child in the room, she'd always go on "guard duty" and place herself between the kid and the door.

Great mouser, loved people too, gentle, smart (figured out doorknobs), and well behaved around the house. Couldn't ask for more from a cat.

She'd been an insulin dependent diabetic for 7 years, which has to be some kind of record. Neither of her vets could believe it. Heck, she outlived one of them.

Sorry for your loss. I love my cats and dogs like I love my family, because that's what they are. They truly have quirks and attitudes and customs that make up personalities, like your Micro cleaning your son's face and I'm sure many other things that even when you saw her doing them every day brought a smile to your face.

Oh man..... I'm sorry for your loss. It just puts dread into me.

post-2179-1252195646_thumb.jpg

This is Tasha (picture from a few years back). She's 18 now, and running around just fine. Larry Austin brought her with him in 1992, and she outlived him. She doesn't take care of her coat now as well as she used to. Her other name's "Bitch". That's because if you put your hand down to her, she'd reach up with both de-clawed front feet, grab hold and clamp down on you, though not hard enough to draw blood. She happily answers to either name, and she jumps up on my chest and rubs chin to chin on my beard, purrs, and makes bisquits.

Oh man..... I'm sorry for your loss. It just puts dread into me.

post-2179-1252195646_thumb.jpg

This is Tasha (picture from a few years back). She's 18 now, and running around just fine. Larry Austin brought her with him in 1992, and she outlived him. She doesn't take care of her coat now as well as she used to. Her other name's "Bitch". That's because if you put your hand down to her, she'd reach up with both de-clawed front feet, grab hold and clamp down on you, though not hard enough to draw blood. She happily answers to either name, and she jumps up on my chest and rubs chin to chin on my beard, purrs, and makes bisquits.

Not to drift this thread, but damn Bill! Tasha/Bitch is still around!!! :surprise: I rememeber when Larry first got that cat, man times have flown by.

Thread back in, DarthMuffin, sorry for your loss. I have an older cat that I wonder if she will still be alive in the mornings when I get up.

Again, sorry for your loss.

Heck yeah, 19 is a really good stretch for a cat. That's like 132 is people years :)

Thanks for the wishes everyone. Knowing for a while that this day was coming helps some. We had plenty of time to say our goodbyes, etc. Having two other, younger, cats helps too.

I sometimes still expect to hear her "talk" to me when I walk into the bedroom where she usually slept. Just a month ago we had a party and she was out as usual, being party cat and making the rounds. Everyone liked her.

19 years...that has to be close to a record for a cat.

No doubt your Kitty had a wonderful life...and I do know the what the loss of a beloved pet is like

I still miss a dog I lost 30 years ago :( ...These critters get into your heart, sorry for your loss

Best wishes

Jim