Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FFL Transfers #1

A friend of mine is in the process of buying an open gun off the USPSA classifieds from an out of State seller. My friend lives in the DFW metroplex. It is my understanding that the out of State seller must use an FFL to ship the firearm to another FFL in Texas. My friend was told by a fairly large Fort Worth gunshop that they couldn't do a transfer like that.

Does anyone have any suggestions that I can pass on to my friend? I've not bought a gun that way yet and really don't know what they can and can't do.

Thanks,

Trace

Check as many gun stores/pawn shops as you can to find one willing to do the transfer. I have purchased guns from out of state, and my ffl has recieved from ffl, and from individuals without any problems. Some FFL will require a copy of the drivers license of the sender if they are not an ffl.

Best thing is to get to know your FFL. They are more likely to work with you if they know you well enough.

Randy

We do transfers here and accept guns from individuals. We do like to get a copy of the shippers DL to put the pertinent info in our log book. It's not required by the BATFE but it is strongly suggested. There is no law stating that a licensed dealer can only accept from other licensed dealers, but it sure makes life easier. We are here to serve the community and we also do these transfers free of charge to anyone that has a CCW. It's our way of promoting the right to carry.

Disclaimer: This is in no way an advertisement as I'm not even remotely close to Texas.

Find a different dealer. Private party to FFL is no problem. I have two locally that I use. One wants a copy of the senders drivers license, the other prefers it but doesn't have to have it. Both charge $20.00 bucks.

It might just be the "larger" shop doesn't want to bother. I asked at one shop and they wanted $35.00 plus 10% of the cost of the gun. :surprise: :surprise:

My friend was told by a fairly large Fort Worth gunshop that they couldn't do a transfer like that.

"Couldn't" in the same sense that some stores "can't" take your check. It's shop policy, not law.

Some shops get bent out of shape over transfers since they think they are an end-run around the shop's profit margin on gun sales. That can be a shortsighted policy since gun people tend to pick a few favorite shops and keep coming back. We even have a choice of shops here in the DPRM (ie, MA) - Texans must have an incredible amount of choices.

An individual can send a gun to an FFL in another state if that individual has a copy of the FFL. It can be a Faxed copy. This is a change in the regulations. There does not have to be a FFL to FFL transfer. But the sender/seller must have a copy of the recieivers FFL otherwise it jail-time.

Every FFL has the right to state their policy with regards to who sends, what they will receive and what they will charge. This is America, past home of the free enterprise system.

Personally, I use a gunsmith for transfers. His rates are very reasonable.

There does not have to be a FFL to FFL transfer. But the sender/seller must have a copy of the recieivers FFL otherwise it jail-time.

It's recommended to get a copy, and verify the copy is legit, but it is not illegal to ship without having that copy. Copy or no copy, if they are an FFL you have broken no laws. Must of us just have enough sense not to ship it until we have a copy in hand.

We do transfers here and accept guns from individuals. We do like to get a copy of the shippers DL to put the pertinent info in our log book. It's not required by the BATFE but it is strongly suggested. There is no law stating that a licensed dealer can only accept from other licensed dealers, but it sure makes life easier. We are here to serve the community and we also do these transfers free of charge to anyone that has a CCW. It's our way of promoting the right to carry.

Disclaimer: This is in no way an advertisement as I'm not even remotely close to Texas.

kgunz, I commend you. Free transfers for CCW is a fantastic idea and service. It is nice to know somebody who is in it for more than the money.

• 2 weeks later...